9 MM AR Pistol... Build or Buy..

leroy

3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I put together a PSA Glock mag 9mm SBR.  Haven't shot it a lot, but does really well with 147gr bullets and my suppressor.   I would think a pistol version would be fine.  I just don't like braces for shoulder mounting.

spacer.png

You always show up with the cool toys :) 

• Like 1

The Ruger PCC is a phenomenal effort by Ruger in my opinion.   I absolutely love mine; they did a lot of good things with them.  The trigger needs no improvement, for instance, and takes 10/22 parts if you feel like you need to swap out the trigger.  I used to own the old PC9 and it was a very mediocre attempt in many ways, but this one is a whole new ballgame.

Threaded barrel, takedown, interchangeable mag wells, reversible bolt handle, built-in top rail and bottom accessory rail.   Mine, at least, runs with a wide variety of ammo.  I was loading 2.4 grains of Titegroup behind a 115gr bullet for Steel Challenge and it was cycling them when no pistol I own would even attempt to run on that load.

I've seen the complaint that they are heavy and people hate the stock.  Magpul announced a stock for it and there are aftermarket foreends you can buy, as well.  The blowback bolt is a big solid chunk of steel, so there's only so light it'll get.

I've been thinking about picking up another one at some point.   By contrast, I'm in no big hurry for an AR9.  I've had an old Olympic 9mm that takes Sten mags for about 20 years now and it fulfills about all my 9mm AR needs.   The Extar 9mm looks intriguing but I haven't had my hands on one yet.

10 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

That looks GREAT. I wasn't aware of it either

Yup... Im thinkin this is the carbine i want ... I really like the setup and the ruger idea on the action...  Now for an AR pistola...

leroy

42 minutes ago, leroy said:

Now for an AR pistola...

I'd keep an eye on PSA. 

Yesterday's deal was a complete upper and lower for $349.

In my mind, that's like the days of hand-select military surplus.

Gotta figure a pistol deal will be in your future.

Side note, the front vented barrel shroud reminds me of the PPSh-41, do they make a Glock single drum mag to complete the look?

• Like 1

Aero Precision showed off their new 9mm upper and lower receivers at shot show.  Looks like it will be available as a complete carbine or upper/lower separate to build off of. The lower takes glock mags and the upper has last round bolt hold open.  I'm looking forward to getting a closer look at the NRA show in a few months. 

Edited by hlb14
  • Like 1

CMMG has radial delayed blowback.  It makes a big difference.  It’s not as smooth as an MP5, probably due to weight, but it’s the only 9MM AR I would consider.  Plus you can get the CMMG mag kits that convert AR PMAGs into 9MM mags.

Yes it’s more expensive, but I hated the few 9MM SBR ARs I’ve owned, just like I hate my two SBR CZ Scorpions.

• Thanks 2
27 minutes ago, asu174 said:

CMMG has radial delayed blowback.  It makes a big difference.  It’s not as smooth as an MP5, probably due to weight, but it’s the only 9MM AR I would consider.  Plus you can get the CMMG mag kits that convert AR PMAGs into 9MM mags.

Yes it’s more expensive, but I hated the few 9MM SBR ARs I’ve owned, just like I hate my two SBR CZ Scorpions.

asu...

I like this idea alot...I handled one the other day a d then did some reading about it... Im thinkin that overall, the CMMG is the best of the best as to design, manufacture, n pricepoint...  Lotsa dollars for what it is though.

leroy

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2020 at 1:31 PM, leroy said:

Another mania is taking hold of me in my old age...

9MM AR pistol or carbine... Build, by, or forget and keep shootin your pistolas..  Thoughts, experiences, recommendations, comments...

" J Thaddius " leroy...

Where you at on this endeavor ?

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I've grown to love my overpriced Sig MPX. But there is no reason to spend that much money when the PSA equivalent does the same thing.

shut your dirty mouth...😂

I also love my Sig MPX but they are not cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just looked (...again...)... HEHEHE... I'm still likin on the long (..10.5 inch...) Faxon Arms and the CMMG pistolas... The Sig aint bad either...  The problem is price... I just can't picture myself payin north of $1000+ for an AR pistola...  Ya can buy a pile of Glocks n XD's for that n be like the old confederate calvary men... Remember, the quickest reload is a second (... or third...) pistola...  

leroy...