Locking vehicle long gun rack

RED333

We all know as firearm owners we have to keep our firearms safe from theft and misuse. if you have ever thought about wanting to keep a long gun in the vehicle it can get very pricey to keep a shot gun or rifle secure and safe from theft. You can spend any where from $200.00 and up on a locking rack.

Here is the one I built, hand cuffs for $25.00, steal for $15.00 and my time, priceless!!!

Cut the cuffs in half, a few welds, grinding, paint and done. The rod that goes into the barrel is steal welded to the end piece. Covered in copper tube to protect the inside of the barrel. A piece of nylon bushing to protect the end of the barrel.

The way I mounted in the truck is for latter.

comm rack.jpghand cuff.jpg

truck rack 2.jpg

truck rack 1.jpg

truck rack 3.jpg

Edited by RED333
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

truck is parked inside a garage 100% of the time.

Here is my thing, I drive onto school grounds, it has to be locked and secure at all times. Even if a break down happens I feel secure in knowing that my firearm will not fall into the wrong hands just by looking for an unsecured firearm. I also have a lock box for a pistol. Ether will keep the firearm secure for a good while, can the system be defeated, sure, but it will take a good bit of time and a lot of noise.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That's a good idea. But most criminals carry handcuff keys. 🙃

I keep little plastic ones that clip to clothing and are super concealable on me at all times.

Not that I’m looking to steal your gun, Red, but you might want to consider a slight redesign. Dave’s got a point about more folks having handcuff keys on them then you might imagine. 

3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I keep little plastic ones that clip to clothing and are super concealable on me at all times.

Not that I’m looking to steal your gun, Red, but you might want to consider a slight redesign. Dave’s got a point about more folks having handcuff keys on them then you might imagine. 

I had slots in the front and back of my belt I used to carry them in. But I don’t have to do that now. No one wants to handcuff me anymore.

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
28 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I had slots in the front and back of my belt I used to carry them in. But I don’t have to do that now. No one wants to handcuff me anymore.

Nobody wants to handcuff me, as far as I know at least. Of course I don’t think anybody wants to shoot me either. Doesn't stop me from carrying a gun. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

On the subject of locks, I sometimes watch The Lock Picking Lawyer on YouTube.    While he has to sometimes get into specialized tools, I'm convenced most, if not all, consumer purchased locks can be picked in pretty quick order with the correct knowledge and tools.     Thankfully most "common" criminals aren't that industrious.  

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

Thankfully most "common" criminals aren't that industrious.  

I feel you are correct, drug thugs, crack users and the like do not have the smarts to get past a lock or 2.