Post Your Favorite Super Bowl Commerical From Todays Game

I'm a crazy dog guy so the ad from the owner of WeatherTech as a thank you for saving his dogs life is pretty awesome to me.  He paid 6 million dollars to bring attention to the Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine which treated him and is doing great things for cancer treatment in animals.  I bought WeatherTech products before but will do so again to support them.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 11
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, bud said:

I can appreciate how that commercial was touching, but I hated it. Hopefully your folks have a good son like you to help hold their memories for them instead of some silly talkie box. Walgreens still prints photos and sells the albums to store them in. People can sort their loved one's own physical photos into chronological order without giving every damn thing to the internet. Google can go to hell. 

Great way to exploit a disease to further your business . FO to ya google.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

This one got me, with both of my parents diagnosed with dementia.

My 89 year old Father is headed that way now. Mom can still use technology. They are 400 miles from me and 1000 miles from my sister. Technology helps us do a lot for them. Thanks to companies like Microsoft, Google, and Amazon. I don’t have to agree with their policies to thank them for the opportunities they have provided to many.

• Like 2

While I can appreciate the intent of not wanting to give everything to the internet, the fact is, that ship has sailed.  While I do believe in many cases, and certainly even in this case, they will use the data to profile you, I also don't immediately dismiss the result of the process as all bad.

Yes, one could take out a camera and take pictures, send them to be printed, etc, and then write notes of them, etc, however....

In this day and age, even our older parents and grandparents are using technology they never dreamed of.  They are taking pictures on their phone and it is automatically uploaded to the internet, etc.  The fact is the simplest, and I would argue even best, way for memories to be archived is "in their own voice and words".  What easier way to do that than simply talking, something anyone can do at any age.  Imagine if you had the forethought to have a voice recorder when you were a kid and were talking to your grandparents and them telling you stories.  Now think of that recording being able to automatically link together with pictures and memories that you would then have access to 20, 30, 40, 50 years later.  I think most would take that without a second thought.

I can be, and am becoming more so, cantankerous to many things including many technical things (especially social media), but this is one I can see value in, especially as I get older.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3
44 minutes ago, bud said:

I can appreciate how that commercial was touching, but I hated it. Hopefully your folks have a good son like you to help hold their memories for them instead of some silly talkie box. Walgreens still prints photos and sells the albums to store them in. People can sort their loved one's own physical photos into chronological order without giving every damn thing to the internet. Google can go to hell. 

Isn't that kind of like saying "I have this rotary phone to make phone calls, no one needs one of silly cell phone things.  All they want to do it track your location."

I understand your intent and while technology brings its own set of issues, the good outweighs the bad in most cases.

6 minutes ago, bud said:

There are other ways of accomplishing the same thing digitally without turning everything over to Google. I didn't mean to suggest that everyone should literally only have  physical photos. People are just too lazy to do that and find it easier to give everything away to Google and Microsoft and Apple and Amazon and all the rest of them. 

The fact is, those companies make it the most efficient to do what people want to do.  Yes, I could do a lot of things, but they can do in zero time, what it would take the normal person hours or potentially days to do.  They offer it because that's what people want.  

This has been going on for years in the credit card/banking game.  They know what you buy, when you buy it, how much you spend, how much you make, etc. Then sold it to marketers to increase their rate of return on advertising.   It's just then it wasn't as known.  There is no such thing as privacy now, period.  

Edited by Hozzie

I won't disagree with you in theory, but value is subjective and convenience will win out over privacy in the marketplace 95% of the time.  Marketers don't worry about the 5%, they worry about the 95%.  It's probably even higher than that.

Edited by Hozzie
21 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

While I can appreciate the intent of not wanting to give everything to the internet, the fact is, that ship has sailed.  While I do believe in many cases, and certainly even in this case, they will use the data to profile you, I also don't immediately dismiss the result of the process as all bad.

Yes, one could take out a camera and take pictures, send them to be printed, etc, and then write notes of them, etc, however....

In this day and age, even our older parents and grandparents are using technology they never dreamed of.  They are taking pictures on their phone and it is automatically uploaded to the internet, etc.  The fact is the simplest, and I would argue even best, way for memories to be archived is "in their own voice and words".  What easier way to do that then simply talking, something anyone can do at any age.  Imagine if you had the forethought to have a voice recorder when you were a kid and were talking to your grandparents and them telling you stories.  Now think of that recording being able to automatically link together with pictures and memories that you would then have access to 20, 30, 40, 50 years later.  I think most would take that without a second thought.

I can be, and am becoming more so, cantankerous to many things including many technical things (especially social media), but this is one I can see value in, especially as I get older.

Although I can't use 95% of the technology available to me as and individual; like you I see the benefits to families.

Frankly, I thought almost all the ads were lame. A lot of them, I didn't even understand. I asked my wife, "What did we just watch?" She said she didn't get it either. 

I didn't get the dementia ad. How did google know all that stuff? Who programmed it with all that information? Can it really answer questions like that? If so, that's creepy. The whole ad was creepy. 

• Haha 1