License revocation/reinstatement

Being a new resident of Tennessee and having recently been approved for a handgun carry permit, I have been reading Tennessee  weapon related laws.  I am a bit confused by a couple sections.

TN Code 39-17-1352 states:   
(a) The department shall suspend or revoke a handgun permit upon a showing by its records or other sufficient evidence that the permit holder:
(6) Has violated any other provision of 39-17-1351  -  39-17-1360 or 39-17-1366;

Violations of these codes are for the most part Class B misdemeanors punishable by a $500 fine only.

Further on in 39-17-1352:
(f)
(1) If a permit holder is convicted of a Class A misdemeanor offense, the permit holder shall surrender the permit to the court having jurisdiction of the case for transmission to the department.
(2)The permit holder shall not be permitted to lawfully carry a handgun or exercise the privileges conferred by the permit for the term of the sentence imposed by the court for the offense or offenses for which the permit holder was convicted.
(g)  In order to reinstate a permit suspended pursuant to subsection (e) or (f), the permit holder shall pay a reinstatement fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) with one half (1/2) of the fee payable to the department of safety and one half (1/2) payable to the court that suspended the permit.

If I am reading this correctly, Class A misdemeanor offenders may have their permit reinstated, but less serious Class B misdemeanor offenders have no mechanism to have their permit reinstated.

Is my analysis wrong?  If someone inadvertently or intentionally disregarded a posted business and had his permit revoked for that violation, he could never get his permit back?
Edited by JN01
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

The laws are confusing on purpose. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need lawyers to explain them. 

My memory is that you lose your permit for at least 1 year with a class B, but I can't verify that at the moment.  

Perhaps worth noting, I'm not aware that anyone has ever been charged for carrying past a sign without significant extenuating circumstances. 

Thanks. I read through all the statutes and couldn't find anything further regarding a suspension period for class B, though it is possible I missed it.

I generally try to avoid giving my business to posted places, but sometimes you need to go anyway.  I do my best to comply with the law, but every now and then, you can come across a business that is posted in a funny place or manner, or for some reason, you simply missed the sign.  It is nice to know that lesser violations are not being made a priority.  I'd hate to be that one guy they decide to make an example of though.

I had sent e-mails to my state representatives asking about this matter, I just received a response from Senator Swann:

Below is the response that I received from Tennessee Department of Safety regarding your concern:

“If a person was convicted of a Class B misdemeanor, we don’t generally suspend their permit, as the statute only has a provision for suspension upon conviction for Class A misdemeanors and felonies.

That being said, even if the Department were to suspend a permit because the Department’s records show that a permit holder violated “any other provision of TCA 39-17-1351  -  39-17-1360 or 39-17-1366”, the permit holder would, by law, have the right to challenge the suspension in the General Sessions Court of their county of residence under the law.  TCA 39-17-1352(d),”

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Sincerely,

Art

Art Swann

State Senator

So I am left still a bit confused, but less concerned.

36 minutes ago, JN01 said:

I had sent e-mails to my state representatives asking about this matter, I just received a response from Senator Swann:

So I am left still a bit confused, but less concerned.

Don't beat your significant other or get convicted of a felony and you'll be ok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2