Concealed carry T-shirt

Hi guys, I don't particularly like any IWB holsters for church security as they are just not comfortable for me. I was wondering if any of you have tried the carry T-shirts that have holster pockets made into each side, some have mag holders for opposite side. I have seen videos and they look easy enough to access with just unbuttoning 1 button in middle and reach in to access your firearm. Looking for any that have tried these. Thanks Mac

If I was running church security I would be very concerned with ease of access.  "Non Traditional" holster setups like these shirts seem to be slow and cumbersome on the draw.  If comfort is your concern it doesn't get better than OWB with a jacket

• Like 7

A "Belly Band" is adjustable and can be worn as high or low for your comfort as wanted.  Most I have seen seem to be junk, but there are a few that offer good width (4-inches or more), have good retention (Velcro straps for weapon, magazines & other items), can be concealed under just a t-shirt and are maybe a better solution than the pocketed under-shirts.

I often use a BlueStone Safety brand one that comfortably carries most any pistol, 4 extra mags, a flashlight and a can of pepper spray.  It conceals well under just a t-shirt, can be worn and accessed fairly easily when seated and is easy/quick to strap on or take off.  This makes taking a firearm with me on quick trips to the store an easy decision and is comfortable to wear for long periods when other activities are done.

Getting under a shirt to access your firearm is not as easy/quick as a standard holster, but when concealment and comfort are high-priority, I find it hard to beat a belly band.

• Like 1

@Dirtshooter I tried one of those type holster T- shirts you mentioned, a Kramer made iirc, long ago. They were, as mentioned, not comfortable, but most important slow and clumsy to draw from and prone to snagging when trying to draw at any speed.

I agree with @Hippy that a quality bellyband is a good consideration for deep concealment. But if worn under a tucked in shirt there is still the need to move a lot of closed clothing out of the way to gain access. I've worn them under my scrubs before and they served me well, but it's gun size dependent to a degree. I still have one that I took a Glock factory holster, cut a bit off and sewed into a bellyband. It served it's purpose well at the time for an NPE situation. I'll attach a pic below if I can dig it up. Just an option...

It would be helpful if you mentioned the type/size of handgun and the attire you'll be wearing.

Do you wear a coat and tie, or just a dress shirt tucked in? Untucked shirt?

I recently listened to Spencer Keepers on the Polite Society podcast talking about concealing a Beretta 92 AIWB while wearing a dress suit with a vest. It's not that I'm recommending AIWB carry (that's my personal choice but I understand it's not for everyone). 

As to IWB in general I've found that with a quality gunbelt just repositioning the holster an inch or two, fore or aft of 3 o'clock for a right hand shooter to find that "pocket of comfort" can make a significant difference. But we are all individual on this.

BB w bl.jpg;ue Glock.jpg

I have the 5.11 compression holster T-shirt. 

It is tight and hot. Access is velcro, so that slows the draw even if you're wearing an unbuttoned shirt. It's okay for the lighter handguns, but for heavier guns, you need to carry something in the opposite side pocket or it pulls the shirt down on one side.

That said, it will carry a nearly full size handgun. 

The problem is... when would it be the best carry method? In summer, it's too hot over an unbuttoned shirt. In winter, I prefer my shirts to be buttoned. 

I wear mine as a gym workout shirt.

I find the wide belly bands to be even more uncomfortable.

EDITED TO ADD...

I have the original Brave Response elastic belt holster. I wear it over my right hip under sweat pants or other beltless clothing. It's comfortable and can be worn SOB, right hip, or appendix or moved with you sit in a car. It gets slammed by some because the mag pouch is also on the right side just beside the firearm holster instead of on the opposite side, slowing access to the spare mag. For me, that's not a factor in my carry decision. It's a lot more comfortable than a belly band because it can be worn lower on the hips.   

Edited by jgradyc
added holster recommendation

A friend of mine used to carry in a belly band. He'd wear it high on his chest with the gun positioned under his left arm similar to a shoulder holster. He was also very fond of western style shirts with snaps instead of buttons. If needed he's just do the "Superman" thing and could access the gun quickly. BTW: his EDC was a 6" S&W Model 29. :eek:  He was a big old barrel chested guy and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never spot that cannon. ;)

• Wow 1
28 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

A friend of mine used to carry in a belly band. He'd wear it high on his chest with the gun positioned under his left arm similar to a shoulder holster. He was also very fond of western style shirts with snaps instead of buttons. If needed he's just do the "Superman" thing and could access the gun quickly. BTW: his EDC was a 6" S&W Model 29. :eek:  He was a big old barrel chested guy and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never spot that cannon. ;)

That sounds as uncomfortable as hell. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

For some reason the image that came to mind with the title was a shirt that said “I’m concealing” or has an arrow pointing to my hip  with “gun” on it. Lol, now i need that shirt for the irony.  

Edited by One1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/4/2020 at 1:11 AM, One1 said:

For some reason the image that came to mind with the title was a shirt that said “I’m concealing” or has an arrow pointing to my hip  with “gun” on it. Lol, now i need that shirt for the irony.  

Yeah kind of like John Belushi's "College" shirt in Animal House it would just say "Concealed Carry" 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I was thinking it was going to be about good t-shirts for covering IWB carry. Most of my t-shirts are a bit short for that with my current shape so I've been looking and my research seems to be pointing at Carhart shirts which are apparently cut a little longer.

a lot depends on the gun you're trying to conceal, body type...etc. Shorts and a t-shirt along with my glock 23 in a Veder AIWB fits comfortably all day. I also sacrifice some comfort to be able to draw quicker. I like to time myself and see what my time to first shot is with various configurations and adjust from there. If you're in church and most people know you're carrying anyway why not just do OWB with long tee or if youre dressed up just put a sport coat on over it. if it prints or people get a peek then it might not matter.

edit: I should also say that if you're working security then how quickly you can get the gun out in various positions, sitting..etc, should be a large driver in your decision.   

Edited by Mseals22
  • Like 1

If I was in your shoes I'd probably open carry with an unbuttoned jacket over the top for concealing. There's a reason why top level guys in IDPA opt for this over IWB. It's the about as fast as open carry plus 0.2-0.3 seconds with concealment. AIWB in terms of speed is about as fast as open carry but it takes some getting used to. AIWB also conceals the best. 

Edited by crake
7 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Yep, but some folks can't get past the thought of shooting off their junk.

True. It was pretty weird at first. 

I carry a compact CZ 75 so there's a long DA pull, and I can also rest my thumb of the hammer during reholstering.

Practiced the draw really slow and deliberate in dry fire for a while and then slowly brought up the speed over time. Now I don't worry about it at all. It's all muscle memory now. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I carry pretty much everywhere concealed, OWB, with a shirt or coat covering. If I want to be a little less noticeable, I carry the M&P Shield, but most of the time have the G17. Sure, it bulges and prints, but nobody notices. At church, I really don't care, but don't want to go all out open carry, just for out of respect to not freak out some little old lady. Pretty much everybody that needs to know knows I'm armed at church, as well as I know about the others that are armed. 

I'd carry a rifle to church if I thought I could get away with it, without freaking people out. Our church is fairly large, and if it comes down to it, it's very possible that you may have to make a fairly long shot, with friendlies in close proximity. To me, it's a whole different ballgame just carrying to protect yourself and your family by your side, than going to feeling responsible to help protect an entire congregation.