2020 year of the Red dot?

Swang

1 minute ago, Kodiakhershey said:

One question.

For us guys with sight that is, not as good as it once was, Do the red dots help or hinder?

I'm blind as a bat since the age of 5. I prefer a good red dot to anything else.

4 minutes ago, Kodiakhershey said:

One question.

For us guys with sight that is, not as good as it once was, Do the red dots help or hinder?

It all depends on your shooting eye AND the red dot.  If you have an astigmatism as I do, then some red dots will be a big fuzzy blur, others not so much.

I still prefer iron sights just because, but red dots sure are nice when you get used to them.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Pro Tip:  Don't fall for the lies of no-line / progressie bifocal lenses.  They are much harder to use with a red dot sight and maintain a crisp clear dot.  Use traditional bifocals with distinct single-vision areas.

• Like 1

It does help tremendously but it only gives you a more defined aiming point and all the other fundamentals of marksman can’t be neglected. For those with an astigmatism,  the dot will starburst or distort but with a target focused approach it still provides a much more defined aiming point compared to a blurry front sight. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If you have an astigmatism as I do, then some red dots will be a big fuzzy blur, others not so much.

Have you ever tried polarized sunglasses to help reduce this?

I have. It helps. Generally I only wear clear glasses when shooting. I just like the consistency of it under varied lighting conditions and it’s also what i would be wearing  if I’m shooting at night.

I put red dots where they don’t belong i like them so much. The Canik TP9SF Elite SC is only milled for a Shield Micro Dot, but I decided a Viper Mini would fit. 

3-B37-E9-F4-F3-C8-4407-8-B86-76-F0530185

5-D5-FD2-D9-FB45-468-F-93-C5-68-ADBD875-

66848-AB0-4-B89-47-CE-A955-8-F4-D449-F3-

7-C80-E679-7749-440-C-BFC9-4615-EAB5-D6-

852-FC168-E17-C-4-CF4-B646-7-AB0-D66295-

BD48277-E-7735-4-D4-C-BE45-7618788887-F7

C3-AEDDA1-7-CAE-471-D-B7-F2-1073-B4-EA79

Edited by One1

There is nothing about 2mm that makes the slightest damn about that optic being on a plate. Either you have an optic or you don’t. The viper mini is one of the lowest profile dots on the market so let’s call it equalling the rest of the dots.   

since we are being fair for the sake of fair, you’ll notice all Caniks sit flush on the RMR plates. 

9-D131-F72-6-E21-49-F6-ABD5-912-EFCFAB7-

therefore i simply made the plate that is in the other canik kits. That makes it correct. 

Edited by One1
21 hours ago, hughd said:

Have you ever tried polarized sunglasses to help reduce this?

Not really other than proper Wayfarers.  But I have found red dots than really work well, such as the Sig Romeo 5 which is widely regarded by those whose eyes are getting goofy.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Garufa said:

But I have found red dots than really work well, such as the Sig Romeo 5 which is widely regarded by those whose eyes are getting goofy.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Not really other than proper Wayfarers.  But I have found red dots than really work well, such as the Sig Romeo 5 which is widely regarded by those whose eyes are getting goofy.

I kept saying I was going to get one from PSA during sales. Never did. But as you say, I've heard and read enough good things about them to risk a 100+ for one. If it doesn't suit on a pistol, it's of a decent size for a small rifle as well.

• Administrator
23 hours ago, One1 said:

There is nothing about 2mm that makes the slightest damn about that optic being on a plate. Either you have an optic or you don’t. The viper mini is one of the lowest profile dots on the market so let’s call it equalling the rest of the dots.   

since we are being fair for the sake of fair, you’ll notice all Caniks sit flush on the RMR plates. 

9-D131-F72-6-E21-49-F6-ABD5-912-EFCFAB7-

therefore i simply made the plate that is in the other canik kits. That makes it correct. 

Easy there, chief.  No need to get dramatically butthurt about my comment.  If you're right about it not making a difference, a lot of people who've been running dots longer than either one of us need to be told that they're wrong.

I'm glad you're happy with the setup.  I'm sure it suffices for pleasure or competition shooting.  I wouldn't run it for combatives, but that's just me and... like... practically everyone else I know that sets up their guns for duty/serious use.

• Like 1
On 5/19/2020 at 9:26 PM, One1 said:

I put red dots where they don’t belong i like them so much. The Canik TP9SF Elite SC is only milled for a Shield Micro Dot, but I decided a Viper Mini would fit. 

3-B37-E9-F4-F3-C8-4407-8-B86-76-F0530185

5-D5-FD2-D9-FB45-468-F-93-C5-68-ADBD875-

66848-AB0-4-B89-47-CE-A955-8-F4-D449-F3-

7-C80-E679-7749-440-C-BFC9-4615-EAB5-D6-

852-FC168-E17-C-4-CF4-B646-7-AB0-D66295-

BD48277-E-7735-4-D4-C-BE45-7618788887-F7

C3-AEDDA1-7-CAE-471-D-B7-F2-1073-B4-EA79

The holosun 407/507K has the same footprint as the shield and will be hitting the market in the next month or so with a street price around 220/300 respectively. Not sure how sold you are on the viper, but seems like that could be a decent alternative

6 hours ago, hughd said:

So, it would sit below the top of the slide without a plate on a Canik?

If the canik is cut for the RMSc it is my understanding they are they same footprint without the two locating bosses which don’t seem to be on the canik

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 6:32 PM, Kodiakhershey said:

One question.

Good question.  They actually help if you sight is not what it used to be.  There are different size dots that you can get based on what you are shooting and how your vision is.  Granted, the smaller the dot, the more precise is the degree of accuracy, but the negative to too small of a dot is that it is harder to "pick it up" visually when you are bringing the weapon onto it's target quickly.  I know many use them with rifles, but personally, I think they are strongest on handguns. 

I won't get into the technical aspect of the different degrees of MOA (minutes of angle), but I would encourage you to look at some YouTube videos on the subject and I think it will clear it up for you.

21 hours ago, Choatecav said:

Based on peers with either corrected vision or aging eyes, they help.

I'm 52 this year, have work glasses since 6th grade, have a both eye astigmatism and at 20+ yards the front sight huge.

I've got a dot on order for an APX.

Beretta doesn't offer suppressor height sights for this or their threaded barrel models...go figure.

I tried my buddies yesterday at the range,threw the target out max (25 yards) and gave it a try again,his gun was a Canik some 1700.00 pistol,I  was hitting a 6" splatter target with the red dot ,10 bullets in the mag.....5 of the 10 were hitting the splatter target 5 just outside the splatter ,I was impressed. I could not even see that with iron sights ,hell I could not even see my hits till I brought the target back in to the table.....I think the red dot was pretty dang good..

• Like 1