Thinking about selling my .22 suppressor.

I'm thinking about selling my .22 cal suppressor. I very rarely use it, absolutely hate cleaning it and don't want my sons burdened by it if something happens to me.  :shake: 

Its an off brand. Small company was trying to get started and offered them at a very good price. But they failed and the dealer I got it from has since retired.

Who's the best dealer in Memphis to move this for me? 

What kind of burden are you thinking it will create?  You get a free transfer.  From the ATF website:

Once you die, the NFA items will need to be transferred to the heirs of the Will. They will need to complete a Form 5 tax free application for each NFA item, and submit them to the ATF for approval. The Form 5 application is a tax free transfer.

Unless they hate guns, I would just make it part of the will.  Nothing really burdensome about it and better yet, they have a suppressor when done.  

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'm thinking about selling my .22 cal suppressor. I very rarely use it, absolutely hate cleaning it and don't want my sons burdened by it if something happens to me.  :shake: 

Its an off brand. Small company was trying to get started and offered them at a very good price. But they failed and the dealer I got it from has since retired.

Who's the best dealer in Memphis to move this for me? 

Give me details.  Maybe we can skip the dealer and just do a F4.   

This is my only Class III item. Honestly, I'm not sure just how to go about selling it. That's why I was asking for the name of a dealer.

Capbyrd: Can we really sell this legally between two individuals? Just how does that work?

As for my sons, both are shooters and gun owners. But neither is into it like I am. Neither wants to own the suppressor and while the transfer may be easy, its a lot of hassle and time involved to get the few hundred it would bring by one of them by selling it. I just want to save them the trouble. 

I bought this back in 2011. A good friend of mine had just gotten his Class III SOT added to his FFL.  Honestly, I bought it on a whim trying to help my friend get established as a Class III dealer. While it was fun at first, the thrill wore off pretty quickly. I haven't used it in years. That's why I'm considering selling.

The maker, Long Range Precision, was just trying to get started in the Class III business with suppressors and AOW shotguns. They offered these items to my friend at great prices. Unfortunately, they didn't make it and soon folded. 

A couple of you have asked, so here's the details:

Ldzqb74.jpg

74Mt4Yo.jpg

Maker: Long Range Precision

Model: Ghost

Caliber: .22LR

K baffle design

1" diameter 1/2 " X 28 threads. 

Very early production with a single digit serial number: LRPG000X

It works extremely well. On my 10-22 I can hear the bolt cycle. I've fired about 200-300 rounds through it. 

I'm hoping to get $250-300 for it. Do y'all think that would be a fair price? 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

This is my only Class III item. Honestly, I'm not sure just how to go about selling it. That's why I was asking for the name of a dealer.

Capbyrd: Can we really sell this legally between two individuals? Just how does that work?

As for my sons, both are shooters and gun owners. But neither is into it like I am. Neither wants to own the suppressor and while the transfer may be easy, its a lot of hassle and time involved to get the few hundred it would bring by one of them by selling it. I just want to save them the trouble. 

I bought this back in 2011. A good friend of mine had just gotten his Class III SOT added to his FFL.  Honestly, I bought it on a whim trying to help my friend get established as a Class III dealer. While it was fun at first, the thrill wore off pretty quickly. I haven't used it in years. That's why I'm considering selling.

The maker, Long Range Precision, was just trying to get started in the Class III business with suppressors and AOW shotguns. They offered these items to my friend at great prices. Unfortunately, they didn't make it and soon folded. 

A couple of you have asked, so here's the details:

Maker: Long Range Presission

Model: Ghost

Caliber: .22LR

K baffle design

1" diameter 1/2 " X 28 threads. 

Very early production with a single digit serial number: LRPG000X

It works extremely well. On my 10-22 I can hear the bolt cycle. I've fired about 200-300 rounds through it. 

I'm hoping to get $250-300 for it. Do y'all think that would be a fair price? 

Okay.  First.  Yes, you can absolutely transfer to an individual within the same state.  Assuming that you were selling, and I was buying, I would pay you, we would fill out the Form 4 with you as the seller and me buyer and then wait for that paperwork to come back.  You would retain possession until the Form 4 came back.  It would be mailed to you and you would let me know when to come pick it and the can up.  It's the same as buying from a shop, you just act as the shop.  

Looks like a nice can.  Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get what you want out of it.  For that money, you start getting really close to some of the top end cans on the market.  Because of the price of the stamp, cans don't do well on the secondary.  And with your company being defunct, it makes that "lifetime purchase" a financial liability if anything goes wrong.  The other thing working against it is the size.   The trend in cans right now is K cans (short) or modular cans that can be shortened.  A can that long isn't really tickling pickles these days.  Personally, I think it would be great as the permanent can on my 77/22 since the length on the rifle isn't going to hurt anything. 

OH, and one more thing, do you know the materials?  

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

So what do you think its worth?

Sorry I was at a meeting last night.  I think you probably are going to be in the 100-150 dollar range (plus buyer pays transfer).  

6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Ok, back to the original question. Who's a good Class III dealer in Memphis? 

I haven't dealt with a lot of shops but Wolf River Precision is one in the area, Arms Fair, Accent Guns on Summer, Richards Armory when they reopen in their new spot.   Not sure who else.   I know there are a lot more.  

2 hours ago, BCR#1 said:

If you're offered $150.00 + the transfer, you better take it before the buyer changes his mind.

Bill

Exactly.  My thought is this, I can form 1 and make my own 22 can for less than $100 in parts.  There just isn't much of a market for used 22 cans that the manufacturer has gone out of business.  

57 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Well hell, I was hoping to get more for it. I don't know. I need to think about it.  Maybe I'll just tell the boys that if they don't want it, just surrender it to BATF. 

Well you could always write me into your will.  I'd be happy to inherit a can.   haha

• Admin Team

Unless it has some specific niche usage/history - there’s likely not a can on the market that’s going to bring more than a couple hundred bucks on the secondary market.

Rimfire cans are regularly given away in promotions for purchasing another product - buyer just pays the tax stamp.  That makes the secondary market on rimfire cans pretty shallow.

Have your boys shot the suppressor? About the fastest way to get someone on board with shooting suppressed is to let them shoot suppressed. 

• Like 1

I tried calling a couple of the places Capbyrd mentioned. Nobody is very interested and the folks at Arms Fair said that they would buy it, but I had to pay the transfer fee. WTF!  :eek:

Now I regret ever buying the damned thing. :mad:

I'll make the situation known to my sons and they can deal with it however they want. Including surrendering it. 

13 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I tried calling a couple of the places Capbyrd mentioned. Nobody is very interested and the folks at Arms Fair said that they would buy it, but I had to pay the transfer fee. WTF!  :eek:

If they buy it for $450-$500 I don't see the problem. 

23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Now I regret ever buying the damned thing. :mad:

I'll make the situation known to my sons and they can deal with it however they want. Including surrendering it. 

Look at it like any consumable, like ammo, at least that's how I rationalized it. If you had your fun with it, call it good.

I was fortunate in my dealer was upfront with me about resale, and it being just as aweful for centerfire cans so I wont be surprised, If it makes you feel better, think how much more folks loose on centerfire pistols suppressors.

I would pay you $50 for it, we can do a form 4.  You hold the can until the form clears and then I can come get it later.  If I were you, I would just keep the can.  Your boys may decide they want it down the road one day 

I spoke to my younger son about it and he completely understands. Most likely it'll end up with the BATF. At that point I won't care anyway. :shrug:

Since its not worth much and doesn't take up much room in the safe, I've decided to just keep it. Who knows, maybe someday the zombies will come? :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I spoke to my younger son about it and he completely understands. Most likely it'll end up with the BATF. At that point I won't care anyway. :shrug:

Since its not worth much and doesn't take up much room in the safe, I've decided to just keep it. Who knows, maybe someday the zombies will come? :rolleyes:

Maybe you will be a zombie with a suppressed .22....

• Haha 1

This may the first time I have ever heard of someone who doesn't like a suppressor.  I won't hardly shoot without one on any gun outside of a shotgun, revolver, and some of my collector guns I don't want to thread.

Please give it away before you give it to the BATFE.  Someone will still have to pay $200 for the stamp so it's not like they aren't investing anything.

• Like 1

Yea, I’ve got a Hunter Town Arms 5.56. Great shape, easy to clean, but they folded. So much for lifetime warranty if it gets damaged. Fortunately the serial number is on the blast chamber at the threads and separates from the rest of the unit but if I need the other parts due to a baffle strike... Amazon?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

Yea, I’ve got a Hunter Town Arms 5.56. Great shape, easy to clean, but they folded. So much for lifetime warranty if it gets damaged. Fortunately the serial number is on the blast chamber at the threads and separates from the rest of the unit but if I need the other parts due to a baffle strike... Amazon?

There are other suppressor manufacturers who will do work, re-core, etc, on other brands. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are other suppressor manufacturers who will do work, re-core, etc, on other brands. 

There are a plethora of drill-able baffles, tubes, etc. on Amazon actually. Most of them are listed as oil filters and shown attached to motorcycles in a way that does not actually work. Measurements would be critical as a replacement but they’re out there.