Wanted: Surplus M17 REWARD!

BimmerFreak

I'm looking for one of the surplus Sig M17 pistols.  I'm not going to pay the speculator prices being offered on Gunbroker, so if anyone stumbles across one (or more) in your local gunshop, please let me know.

I am offering a 50.00 cash reward or a 200.00 Battle Mug to the person that helps me locate a fair priced M17.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Regarding the search for a military surplus M17, due to the young age of the pistols, I'm confused on how there would be any "decommissioned" pistols at this point for sale?    Inquiring minds want to know...

" originally issued by the U.S. Army and fielded during the initial domestic and in-theater deployment of the Modular Handgun System "

The last thing I had seen indicated that the initial runs had not locked the color down and once they did, and the initial ones were not the final color variant selected.

2 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Regarding the search for a military surplus M17, due to the young age of the pistols, I'm confused on how there would be any "decommissioned" pistols at this point for sale?    Inquiring minds want to know...

Sig changed some things on the gun at the request of the Army. Instead of the Army keeping them, an unknown number went back to Sig and they’re selling them (3000-5000 of them but supposedly closer to 3000).

Directly from Sig managers, “they’re all shipped to distributors/dealers and there will be no more” (unless there is some unforeseen supply that the Army gives up for some strange reason, which isn’t at all likely to happen). These are the real deal guns that were issued and deployed stateside and overseas. 

https://www.sigsauer.com/m17-surplus/

Bimmer, if you want one at this point your beat bet is to drop $1200 on a gunbroker auction. The market is drying up, having gone from >100, to 80’s, now to 60’s auctions on gunbroker over the past two weeks. The prices are rising ~$100 per week this passes and once the store supply dries up, the prices will rise more. 

edit: if you sort m17 surplus results on gunbroker by low to high price, the lowest aren’t at the first. There are a few $1200 listed for buy now at the opposite end of where they should be in the pricing. 

56 minutes ago, SonnyCrockett said:

its ridiculous whats these used ones are being hoarded for they def are not going to go up in value like a ole 1911 and with the Centennial models out which is the identical gun but NEW it will always keep a surplus from going up. in a few years I am guessing the surps will be way less.

You just never know. I didn’t think anyone would pay CMP $1000 for those junk 1911’s we used in the military. But they did, and they are. You can buy a new 1911 for a Grand that is light years ahead of any of that junk. But they aren’t buying it for a 1911 handgun; they are paying a grand for military nostalgia.

If someone would have told us in the 70’s what would be going on with 1911’s today; we would have been laughing all day about it.

Well just for fun, look at the M45a1 decommissioned USMC 1911s vs. the civilian M45a1. It is the exact same pistol but I guarentee that one cost about three times as much as the other (or much more).

Anyone that thinks that the M17 surplus will not cost more than a new civilian version can come to me at any time in the future...I will buy the old surplus M17 for the cost of a brand new M17 or any other $700 pistol that you may want.

12 hours ago, DaveTN said:

You just never know. I didn’t think anyone would pay CMP $1000 for those junk 1911’s we used in the military. But they did, and they are. You can buy a new 1911 for a Grand that is light years ahead of any of that junk. But they aren’t buying it for a 1911 handgun; they are paying a grand for military nostalgia.

If someone would have told us in the 70’s what would be going on with 1911’s today; we would have been laughing all day about it.

the CMP 1911s are sold out but not without detractors,as a collector they are frankenguns and I have no use for that nor do any 1911 collectors I know of.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:01 PM, DaveTN said:

12 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

the CMP 1911s are sold out but not without detractors,as a collector they are frankenguns and I have no use for that nor do any 1911 collectors I know of.

Frankenguns they may be, but I will take one of those (and did with no hesitation) without a moments hesitation. 

I am not a "collector" but more of an "accumulator" liking old weapons, old motorcycles,  old broads and old whiskey...…..and oh yeah, also old dogs and watermelon wine!! 

Guess that is why I would choose a '57 Chevy over a new one with all its bells and whistles.

But, then again, I am just an old fart, so what do I know??

Archived