Red VS. Green Dot??

Has anyone compared a 2-3 MOA dot in RED/GREEN? In the dot only, no ring, does it make much difference?

I have a Red in the Fastfire III and the Vortex Venom; both in 3 MOA. I think I might try a Holosun when the new V2’s are out in the next few weeks. Looks like they have a choice of red, green.

I only wanted the dot before, but with the dot dropping to 2MOA, Might want to go with the dot and ring?

:confused:

6 minutes ago, chances R said:

I shot half dozen dots a few weeks ago.  Really like the green holosun.  Circle good for close work, dot for distance.  Also less sunburst affect with green when looking into sun vs. red.

So you think the green is better in bright sunlight? Did the 2MOA seem any harder to find than the 3MOA (if you have used a 3)? I don’t want a ring, I’ll just be using a dot.

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

So you think the green is better in bright sunlight? Did the 2MOA seem any harder to find than the 3MOA (if you have used a 3)? I don’t want a ring, I’ll just be using a dot.

I do like green....and due to squad pressure to get a 'dot' will go with the holosun.  Did not have any trouble with any of the brands to find the dot, but that is due to draw stroke and being static.  Moving through a stage I am sure will be much different.  None of the dots were overly large but different intensities. With my limited experience and research, I would go larger dot if not doing the ring.  One recent article was touting the 6 MOA and made sense to me.  As I heard described, the optics are still in their teenage years with more advances to come.  I'm still waiting it out another year probably.

If the dot does not appear to be perfectly round, this is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes-of-angle (MOA) may appear in a variety of shapes depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the perceived variation:

• Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on the firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)
  • While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.
  • If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.
  • If the dot does not roll with the sight, the variation is caused by the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still perceive an anomaly in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. A bigger dot appears to the human eye to be more round than a small dot. The Diode dot is round, when mounted into the sight, but might appear not to be round due to the condition of the human eye. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round. The smaller the dot, the more people will experience it as not round

10 minutes ago, hughd said:

If the dot does not appear to be perfectly round, this is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes-of-angle (MOA) may appear in a variety of shapes depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the perceived variation:

• Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on the firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)
  • While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.
  • If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.
  • If the dot does not roll with the sight, the variation is caused by the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still perceive an anomaly in objects this small.

This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. A bigger dot appears to the human eye to be more round than a small dot. The Diode dot is round, when mounted into the sight, but might appear not to be round due to the condition of the human eye. More people will see the dot in a sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round. The smaller the dot, the more people will experience it as not round

If you have an astigmatism all that mumbo jumbo doesn’t mean doodly squat.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:47 PM, Garufa said:

If you have an astigmatism all that mumbo jumbo doesn’t mean doodly squat.

It certainly was the long way around....to long. That test IS the test of astigmatism for red dots.  But Aimpoint (where it came from) was trying not to trigger Astigmatics by calling it out, PC way to spend 4 pages talking around what some will see as referring to their 'disability'. Shame they have to bother. 

On 2/6/2020 at 8:02 PM, krunchnik said:

I have problems with every dot sight I have tried-dot is a big ol blob with spikes sticking out of it-I use nothing but prism sights or regular scopes now-so annoying.

If you wear shooting glasses, just get a prescription pair. Most astigmatism are fully correctable. I finally caved when I couldnt see impacts on targets @ 50 yards. Didnt even know how much my very minor astigmatism effected red dots until I tried them and all the flaring was gone.

Edited by Erich