Is Remington out of the MSR market

Guest BCR#1

Calling them MSR isn’t a dance I will do. But Remington makes several AR’s under their own name.

Hopefully they are simply consolidating.

However, Remington (and the firearms community) took a huge blow when the SCOTUS allowed the lawsuit by families of the Sandy Hook victims to proceed. It has to be costing them a lot.

44 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

It just occurred to me that they may not be out of the AR business, so much as out of the AR *marketing* business.

Isn't that what the suit is about? Their marketing practices?

Yes. But that story asks more questions than it gives information. They could just be merging product lines. Remington has AR’s in their own product line, probably made by Bushmaster (but I don’t know that). So why not just have Bushmaster make Remington AR’s?

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Yes. But that story asks more questions than it gives information. They could just be merging product lines. Remington has AR’s in their own product line, probably made by Bushmaster (but I don’t know that). So why not just have Bushmaster make Remington AR’s?

This is kind of what I assume that they are doing.  They are merging brands under one name.   Everything has been coming out of the same factory for a while so just get rid of the multiple names.   

On 2/7/2020 at 9:15 AM, DaveTN said:

Calling them MSR isn’t a dance I will do.

I’m curious about this comment? I will admit that their price tag made them cost prohibitive for most civilians but the Remington MSR was one of the first of its kind....it was after select SOCOM units started fielding the Remington MSR (and more asking for it) that many more manufactures jumped on the train, resulting in the myriad of options we see today. The MSR was the result of senior snipers at a certain unit going directly to the product reps at Remington Defense (most of whom were former SOF guys themselves) and saying “here’s a list of what we want this gun to do, can you build it?” Remington engineers went to work and if I recall correctly delivered 12-15 guns in early 2008.

It’s a shame to me that an iconic gun company like Remington has been torn apart by corporate greed, and exposed to further injury by lawsuits that would never have a chance if America still believed in holding people responsible for their own actions. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few Remington employees and engineers over the years and found them to be true craftsmen than really wanted to put out products that deserved the Remington stamp on the side...if only every level of that company felt the same.

48 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

I’m curious about this comment? I will admit that their price tag made them cost prohibitive for most civilians but the Remington MSR was one of the first of its kind....it was after select SOCOM units started fielding the Remington MSR (and more asking for it) that many more manufactures jumped on the train, resulting in the myriad of options we see today. The MSR was the result of senior snipers at a certain unit going directly to the product reps at Remington Defense (most of whom were former SOF guys themselves) and saying “here’s a list of what we want this gun to do, can you build it?” Remington engineers went to work and if I recall correctly delivered 12-15 guns in early 2008.

It’s a shame to me that an iconic gun company like Remington has been torn apart by corporate greed, and exposed to further injury by lawsuits that would never have a chance if America still believed in holding people responsible for their own actions. I have had the pleasure of meeting a few Remington employees and engineers over the years and found them to be true craftsmen than really wanted to put out products that deserved the Remington stamp on the side...if only every level of that company felt the same.

MSR means Modern Sporting Rifle.  Its an attempt to give ARs and AKs a PC friendly moniker to appease the masses.   Its cowering to their fear mongering.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Danger Rane said:

I’m curious about this comment? 

MSR stands for Modern Sporting Rifle. There is a group of gun owners that think by changing the name of what you call a weapon; you can somehow change the perception of it. Just like those that get their panties in a bunch when they hear the AR called an Assault rifle. Of course an AR is an Assault Rifle. You only need to look at scenes like Sandy Hook, Pulse Night Club, or Vegas to verify that.

An AR-15 is not an M-16, and calling it some other name makes it appear as if we have something to hide. It’s not a fully automatic machine gun as the M-16; it’s a semi automatic rifle.

Rifles like the M-1 Garand or the Remington 750 Deer Rifle are 30-06 Springfield and have the potential of being far more devastating that an AR-15. The Mini 14 along with a bunch of others have the same potential for use by violence criminals the AR has.

If we have to defend every rifle we have based on how criminals have used it, we may well find ourselves defending “Deer Rifles”. A body drops for every round fired at extremely long distances; how scary will that be?

I own 3 AR’s. An AR-10, an AR-15 and an AR-22. I call them AR’s; even though none of them are Armalite Rifles. If someone decides to call them “Assault Rifles” or MSR; so be it. But I can still call them whatever I like. It is my Inalienable right to own these weapons for self-protection. It is also a right under the 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution.

• Like 1

@Capbyrd & @DaveTN my apologies, I took your use of MSR out of context and thought you were referring to Remington’s MSR rifle, which stands for Modular Sniper Rifle.

Makes allot more sense now with the proper context, and I agree with you about the other MSR meaning. It is essentially elements of the gun industry trying to take a PC approach to a topic that we don’t need to church up and make it out to be something its not.

Again, sorry for my confusion and thank you for your clarification.

• Like 2