Vein problems in Leg

pop pop

I have a big varicose vein in my left leg and a small one in my right.  They runs the length of my legs. I want you to know these are a very large protruding rope vein. When I get on my treadmill and start walking, about 10 min into my walk, the legs starts aching where the veins are.

Went to the vein center in Nashville and the Dr injected a medication substance in it (left leg) and the vein suppose to disappear. I asked him how it worked, and he said the liquid shrinks the vein to the point it dries up. Took about 5 minutes and only felt the stick of a needle with the numbing meds. Never felt anything after.

I had my veins stripped 12 years ago, in both legs, and this was nothing like that. If you have vein problems I highly recommend this procedure. I will post again in 2 weeks when I do a return visit so he can check it out.

Medicare and my supplemental insurance pay for it totally.

My daughter is a ultrasound tech, and she scolded me for allowing this vein to get this large. She says she sees people every day with large veins with blood clots in them because they are prone to getting clots. She knows I am diabetic and says a blood clot could cause me to loose my leg.

Going to have my right leg done after I go back. 

I will let you know how it turns out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

MacGyver, it was totally painless and seems to be working. I walked 2 miles on my treadmill today, and no pain in that leg. I have to wear a strong compression stocking, for 7 days/24 hrs per day, and that is the extent of follow up. It took longer for the prep than the procedure took. You have to shave you leg prior to your visit, then they treat this like surgery. Everything has to be sterile in the room as they do the treatment. 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

My leg is clearing up and the vein is gone, for the most part. It is not protruding and most of the bruising "Look" has disappeared. To clarify that, what I am saying is after the medication was put in the vein, in a few days the vein became very evident then turned a bruise color the whole length of the vein. Most of that discoloration is now gone and the vein has no evidence or pain what so ever. I highly recommend the procedure. Except for the initial insertion of the meds, which was done by needles, the procedure is very limited invasive. 

I had  my veins stripped years ago, the old way, and it was very invasive. This procedure is much less invasive. I did have a little pain soon afterwards, but now all is well. Go for it. My daughter is a ultrasound tech, and she sees blood clots in large varicose veins often, and  some require surgery to get relief. One can loose their legs if not treated rapidly. She insisted I get the vein taken care of. I am satisfied with the procedure and the outcome. 

I was having leg pain, after treadmill walking exercise, and now don't have it anymore. Successful conclusion to my problem.

Covid interrupted my other leg procedure, and I will probably reschedule soon on the remaining leg, although it is not as bad as the first leg was.