9mms carbine or sks

loadedp3at

Picking only one gun for any application is tough. But If I could only take one rifle with me in a SHTF scenario it would be my DPMS 308 Recon LR-GII. I have plenty of ammo and mags for it, its applications include both close-in and long-range targets, and the .308 Winchester is devastating. Mine is equipped with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44mm scope.

vyurxRE.jpg

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, peejman said:

SKS. Rifles are most useful in a rifle caliber.  I've never understood pistol caliber carbines.  

peej has spoken a " Great Truth " here...  Rifles is rifles (... Think 200 yds out...)... Pistols and pistol carbines is shorter...  Settle this issue in your mind first...

My take is to carry a good pistol and a good rifle...  That bein said, ya need to pick the flavor.  I tend to like the turnbolt " Scout Rifles " ALA Jeff Cooper and Ruger... Its always hard to beat a 308, abeit Brother Dave's AR10 or a bolt gun... Again, you pick the flavor... 

Nothin beats a real marksman at long range...  Nothin beats a 308 to about 800 yards or so... 800 yards is a real long way here in Tennessee. 

Heres hopin this helps.

leroy

• Like 2

I had a 9 MM carbine and traded it for a Ruger 40 caliber carbine which I still have. If I could only have one rifle it would not be a 9MM or the 40. I will say, for sure, I considered a 22 rifle, but I would probably take my 308, and let my wife carry the 22. If the only one rifle is for survival, and not war, it would be the 22. One can take a lot of animals both 4 legged or 2 legged with a good 22 rifle. Also carry 1000 rounds easy. My Marlin mdl 60 holds 17 and one can run a lot of led through that rifle in a short period of time. 

I will say the 40 is fun to plink with, and it is harder shooting than the 9 MM, but I just would not take it.  I favor the 40 over the 9MM. 

I’ve thought about this for many years. Ultimately, it’s better to pick a rifle caliber, for longer range and knockdown power. The next question is which Rifle style, semi, bolt or lever. I have a lot more trigger time on a semi-auto, so for me that might be a better option, in the AR flavor.

Next, is caliber. I could go with .223, a variety of 6.5 offerings, a 300BO or a .308. I’d narrow that down, quickly to .223 or a .308, because those two caliber are very easy to find. Looking at what I have at the moment, I’d probably select .223, because that’s what I have at the present.

• Like 1

I would look at it as what kind of territory are you most likely be surviving in. If its urban streets and within buildings, a 9mm hi cap carbine is not that bad a choice, A more rural area and the SKS walks away with survivability. The only reason I say 9mm is theres lots and lots of ammo for them laying around small and compact as the ammo is and personally, SHTF more than likely means war time FCG's that can put a lot of lead out quickly and accurately.

My castles guard dog.....

hewy4mIl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
14 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

I would look at it as what kind of territory are you most likely be surviving in. If its urban streets and within buildings, a 9mm hi cap carbine is not that bad a choice, A more rural area and the SKS walks away with survivability. The only reason I say 9mm is theres lots and lots of ammo for them laying around small and compact as the ammo is and personally, SHTF more than likely means war time FCG's that can put a lot of lead out quickly and accurately.

My castles guard dog.....

hewy4mIl.jpg

Fun video to watch! 

This one gun (rifle) debate has raged on in lots of internet forums. There is no right answer without other parameters.

Is it full-on SHTF or Martial Law?

Are you Urban or Rural?

Is it open combat with other people/groups or are you just hunting for food?

What is your chance of get more parts and ammo?

Are you mobile? If so, are you on foot?

The gun that is best not knowing any answers from above is the one you have, have ammo for, and are proficient with.

My old .303 Enfield would probably serve me better than a SAW if I am out in a rural area.  There I would probably take my .308 bolt or Savage 24  .30-.30 over 20ga break action though. Just easier to find ammo and I can hunt anything with the 24 at distances I encounter in East TN.

My 10.5 inch barrel AR9 style pistol might be better if I am moving building to building in a urban environment.  Especially if I need to move on foot because my sidearm and it would share ammo. Less weight or more ammo depending on load out. Hi cap mags also help if I encounter trouble. Yes, a rifle caliber would be better. An AR-15 in.223 could be good if I thought I needed to pick up more parts along the way. I just dont love .223. A bit less likely would be an AR-10. I like .308 better, but the weight is a big step up. As a compromise, an AK would do well if it is tuned and accurate. Spraying and praying is only good in movies. 

Again, no "right" answer here. Any of them are better than a pointy stick. Really focus less on what gun and more on improving skills that can apply across a good spectrum. Having the gun is one thing, but if you don't know how to use it well it will probably just end up in someone else's hands. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 8:28 PM, Chucktshoes said:

It looks to me to be a PPSH clone built on a FAL lower and using a Suomi mag. Am I close @xtriggerman?

It started out as an MPA 971 that is basically a mac 11 upper set over an FAL lower. But MPA did an incredible dis service to the idea by not using a different hammer in the FAL FCG.  Anyway, I did a write up here on the build a while back but it has crappy photobucket pics now.

Nice semi auto shooter and being what the upper is, fixed firing pin bolts for open bolt firing is a full blown SHTF option. 

I want to mount a Holosun shake awake dot sight on it soon.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, xtriggerman said:

It started out as an MPA 971 that is basically a mac 11 upper set over an FAL lower. But MPA did an incredible dis service to the idea by not using a different hammer in the FAL FCG.  Anyway, I did a write up here on the build a while back but it has crappy photobucket pics now.

Nice semi auto shooter and being what the upper is, fixed firing pin bolts for open bolt firing is a full blown SHTF option. 

I want to mount a Holosun shake awake dot sight on it soon.

I’ll accept that as a close enough. 😆

• 1 month later...

I'll go along with the group that says it depends entirely on the situation. Arm for what you're most likely to encounter. 

Ideally, I would want my M1A Scout/Squad, a 1911 on my hip and a good .22 pistol with suppressor in my pack. But that'a not set in stone.  ;)

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I'll go along with the group that says it depends entirely on the situation. Arm for what you're most likely to encounter. 

Ideally, I would want my M1A Scout/Squad, a 1911 on my hip and a good .22 pistol with suppressor in my pack. But that'a not set in stone.  ;)

I agree. If I had to get from point A to B when there was still a smattering of civilization, I'd want a pistol I could conceal and a rifle I could conceal in my backpack. I also wouldn't want to be wearing camo or my NRA cap! I'd want to be as inconspicuous as possible. In that situation, I'd go with a folding carbine or an AR pistol. If a threat is more than 50 yards away, I'm retreating. 

• Like 1

Me personally would choose as light as reliably possible 223/556 rifle...preferably of the AR variant.  I wouldn't choose a 308 unless I was "bunkering".  They are just too heavy...even my Adams Arms small frame 308 is heavier than I would want to carry over any long distance.  Most engagements are typically over in seconds if not precious few minutes so I believe a rifle caliber would still be of great benefit over a pistol caliber and the versatility it offers in regards to hunting would also be a huge benefit.  223/556 is the obvious choice because ammo, mags, and parts are everywhere....at least in this country...and mexico lol.  If I had knowledge of where the fight would be I would just avoid it if at all possible lol.  

• Like 2