owejia

9 mm revolver

Thinking about getting a 9mm revolver. Needs to be ss, short barrel. what is a good buy? Taurus model 905 ss 2", or the Ruger sp101 ss 2.25, Charter arms Pitbull ss or there other short barrel 9mm revolver out there? Opinions, likes and dislikes. What say you?

That’s an easy choice. The Charter arms Pitbull.

It’s the only one you listed that doesn’t use Moon clips of some type, and its $382. Moon Clips are unacceptable for me as a carry gun. And a 2”, 5-shot serves no purpose other than carry.

But then.. Here comes the “Opinions, likes and dislikes. What say you?” part. :) I wouldn’t pick a 9MM, I’d pick the creme of the crop S&W Model 60 in 357 Mag. But I’d carry .38 special. The bad news is the cost. I’m trying to find one now and will probably go with new at $576.

A concern with 'auto' rounds in revolvers is the possibility of round setback or the bullet simply migrating/loosening in the cartridge  Revolver rounds have a much different bullet crimp to prevent such.   

11 minutes ago, chances R said:

Revolver rounds have a much different bullet crimp to prevent such.   

One would think that but it is no longer a universal norm.  Manufacturers have been cutting a lot of corners the past few years as in taper crimps on .38 specials.  A fine example is all the cheap Federal 158gr LSWC that’s been available.   A perfect round but most reports indicate it’s not crimped at all.

Edited by Garufa
  • Wow 1

19 minutes ago, Garufa said:

One would think that but it is no longer a universal norm.  Manufacturers have been cutting a lot of corners the past few years as in taper crimps on .38 specials.  A fine example is all the cheap Federal 158gr LSWC that’s been available.   A perfect round but most reports indicate it’s not crimped at all.

dang, learned something else.  But, I would assume the crimp is still important if one is looking at full factory self defense loads which can cause the movement I referred to.

I have a Ruger sp101 9mm. i really like it, but it does use moon clips. someone on this forum suggested i use a pvc pipe end cap as an ammo carrier. it works great. 

I’d probably choose the Charter Arms Pitbull.

I’d pick the Ruger 10 times out of 10 over the Taurus.

If you’ve not shot one yet, I’d probably encourage you to do so - and work through some combat reloads. I wouldn’t be surprised if the has an effect on your final decision.  

• Like 1

I have a Ruger LCR 9mm. I like the moon clips, think of them as low profile speed loaders. I did find some soft silicon rubber caps that work well with the loaded moon clips to help keep everything contained. Actually have two different color of caps, one for defensive loads and one for range ammo.

Edited by Jeb48
  • Like 1

I love revolvers, but never could understand the attraction of a wheel gun in an semi-auto cartridge. There are lots of smaller pistols in 9mm available today and they hold more rounds. Frankly, I consider the .38 Special a better round in a short barreled revolver and no moon clips to fool with. 

BTW: I bought a case of the Federal 158gr SWHPs just about a month ago. I checked and they are roll crimped. 

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

BTW: I bought a case of the Federal 158gr SWHPs just about a month ago. I checked and they are roll crimped. 

Good to know.

Edited by hughd

I think of a revolver in 9mm as giving up the potential horsepower of a .357 and giving up the capacity and slim profile of a 9mm pistol.

What am I missing?

• Like 2

One of the reasons I bought the Ruger LCR 9mm is I already was invested in 9mm and at the time didn't want to expand into another caliber. I think it was only the 5th hand gun I had bought and 3 were .22s. I also have a Ruger LCR .22 and I thought it would be a nice companion revolver and it is. I actually keep think I should buy an LCR in .38 since I have other guns in that caliber now and it just seems like I need 3 LCRs.

Have been doing research today and was surprised the difference in velocity of the 9mm Luger compared to 357 mag out of short barrel  revolvers. The Ruger 101 9mm was higher vel. and kinetic energy than a Glock 43 shooting the same ammo. Was higher than the S & W 357 mag out of a Titanium revolver. Will definitely get one, have a lot of 9mm rounds that need shooting. Only 9mm Luger I have is a Walther P38. Probably go with the Ruger, moon clips are no problem for me, use them in my S&W Brazilians. Researching the Charter Arms Pit Bull, there seems to be some problems with ejecting fired empty brass. With the Ruger being about a $100 more than the Pit Bull. The 9mm ammo will always be available as about 60% of law enforcement use 9mm. Can also shoot wc and swc in the revolver. Molds that cast light weight 38 spl and 357 mag will mean plenty of cast to shoot in the 9mm.

9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

One of the reasons I bought the Ruger LCR 9mm is I already was invested in 9mm and at the time didn't want to expand into another caliber. I think it was only the 5th hand gun I had bought and 3 were .22s. I also have a Ruger LCR .22 and I thought it would be a nice companion revolver and it is. I actually keep think I should buy an LCR in .38 since I have other guns in that caliber now and it just seems like I need 3 LCRs.

I didn't think about ammo compatibility. And I suppose many fewer moving parts, potentially greater durability for very hard prolonged use could be argued.

@owejia, thanks for the info on velocity and energy. It would never have occurred to me to look into that, because "everyone knows", you know? But now I plan to.

13 hours ago, owejia said:

Have been doing research today and was surprised the difference in velocity of the 9mm Luger compared to 357 mag out of short barrel  revolvers. The Ruger 101 9mm was higher vel. and kinetic energy than a Glock 43 shooting the same ammo. Was higher than the S & W 357 mag out of a Titanium revolver. Will definitely get one, have a lot of 9mm rounds that need shooting. Only 9mm Luger I have is a Walther P38. Probably go with the Ruger, moon clips are no problem for me, use them in my S&W Brazilians. Researching the Charter Arms Pit Bull, there seems to be some problems with ejecting fired empty brass. With the Ruger being about a $100 more than the Pit Bull. The 9mm ammo will always be available as about 60% of law enforcement use 9mm. Can also shoot wc and swc in the revolver. Molds that cast light weight 38 spl and 357 mag will mean plenty of cast to shoot in the 9mm.

Can you link your source for the velocity?

Edited by swim615

swim615 it was a you tube video with the shooter using a radar scope or what ever they are called. Looked at so many yesterday got bugged eyed.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 8:49 AM, GlockSpock said:

Ejection issues "usually" comes from not enough time at the factory polishing out the cylinder walls. God knows, I'v fixed sticky ejection quite a lot on a variety of revolvers by repolishing. Tho I'v not seen how Charter has set up these particular extractors.  What I find interesting in the Link (thanks Glockspock) is the 74020 in .40....... hmmm. short cut in the frame with revolver grip comfort. I'v also been eyeing the S$W 60 in 357 as Dave. That's a top performer no doubt but the 40 is rather intriguing in its self in a nice wheel gun. Nice & Charter historically were not synonymous. Iv not handled a Charter in decades. Don't get me wrong, they work OK but just clunky is the only way I can describe their function.

UPDATE.... Just found this guy's vid on the 40. Apparently he has paged my thoughts! One thing I found out is they use more rifling grooves in their barrels. That typicaly means shallower rifling to groove depth. Like the Marlin micro groove barrels, From what I'v read...not beloved by cast slugs. Cast slugs need groove depth to perform well in many cases. 

Edited by xtriggerman

I personally wouldn't want a auto cartridge in a revolver. Theres a reason why revolver cartridges have a rim. Just my opinion.😀