Older posters, help the younger posters out!

TomInMN

Not hijack, but all parties need to understand the other perspective.

My boss is one of the sharpest guys I've ever worked for, his example makes me want to excel and be the best I can be.

He is a millennial.

We should be closing a big deal, when I was confident in the progress, I expressed my excitement with the comment, "we're going to be bigger than US Steel."

"Is that big?" he replied.

From his life experience, any reference (if any) to US Steel during his younger years equated to failure and bankruptcy.

• Like 1

No matter how tired you are spend lots of time with your kids. I lost a lot of sleep, spent a lot money supporting activities and put plenty of miles on the road, but it was all worth the time. 

Do these things so when you are riding in your car and you hear Jim Croce’s “Cats In The Cradle” you’ll tap your feet and sing along instead of having a breakdown at the stoplight.  😀

Unless your kids are ungrateful buttholes, you will still get calls and visits even when they are busy. The benefit to you is knowing you are loved and a peace of mind. 

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, LINKS2K said:

No matter how tired you are spend lots of time with your kids. I lost a lot of sleep, spent a lot money supporting activities and put plenty of miles on the road, but it was all worth the time. 

Do these things so when you are riding in your car and you hear Jim Croce’s “Cats In The Cradle” you’ll tap your feet and sing along instead of having a breakdown at the stoplight.  😀

Unless your kids are ungrateful buttholes, you will still get calls and visits even when they are busy. The benefit to you is knowing you are loved and a peace of mind. 

This is great advice!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

We should be closing a big deal, when I was confident in the progress, I expressed my excitement with the comment, "we're going to be bigger than US Steel."

"Is that big?" he replied.

giphy.gif

I work with a lot of millennials. It always makes me feel old when they do not get a classic movie reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I work with a lot of millennials. It always makes me feel old when they do not get a classic movie reference.

I worked with a young man that told me he was a Jets fan. I told him I didn’t think I had watched a Jets game since Broadway Joe played. He said “I don’t know who that is??”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I worked with a young man that told me he was a Jets fan. I told him I didn’t think I had watched a Jets game since Broadway Joe played. He said “I don’t know who that is??”

To be fair, the guy said he was a Jets fan, not an archeologist.

Ooohh!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just to add to my previous post.....it's important to count your blessings.  Regardless of what your spiritual beliefs are. I am guilty of this, and have to remind myself sometimes.  Think of your lot in life, and put yourself 100 or 150 years ago. It's not that long ago, in the grand scheme of things. Oh, what our predecessors would have thought about electricity on demand,  TV, wifi and phone everywhere, clean water and food in abundance, sewer, modern antibiotics, and all of those things.  When you start to think about having things hard, perspective is important.

12 hours ago, Raoul said:

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse...

My best friend in High School had that as his motto. He said he didn't plan to live past 21. He made it through Viet Nam, 2 very bad car accidents that he shouldn't have and flip his motorcycle into a ditch doing a 360 flip. Worked as a heavy equipment operator his whole career. He died last year at 72, he choked on a piece of popcorn while watching TV in his family room by himself with his wife upstairs.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Unless its with firearms safety. Then failure should be something to fear. :)

To a point yes but one of the best lessons I learned about gun safety was when I shot a hole in my roof as a teenager.

Being a typical dumbass boy I was trying to be cool and showing my hunting rifle to my girlfriend and put a .30 caliber hole in the ceiling of my bedroom and in the roof of the house.  Needless to say my parents were not thrilled.

Here is the lesson I learned:  Pulling the trigger to see if the safety is on is not the best course of action.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
On 2/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Tuffus said:

If you need a car or some other big ticket item and you don't have the money to pay cash for it, you need a different one that you can. I paid off a car in my twenties and continued to make the payment to myself in a special account until I needed another one. Haven't financed a car in many years. Keep all that interest that would go to the bank for yourself.

I haven't had a car payment in 12 years.    It's been a great feeling; one I fully intend to keep rolling. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
30 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Good manners and common courtesy cost you nothing. But it sure makes life more pleasant. ;)

Manners are such a huge emphasis in our household. Nothing gets me into my children's asses faster in public than rude behavior and lack of manners. Il-mannered people in general drive me up the ####ing wall. HUGE pet peeve of mine. 

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Manners are such a huge emphasis in our household. Nothing gets me into my children's asses faster in public than rude behavior and lack of manners. Il-mannered people in general drive me up the ####ing wall. HUGE pet peeve of mine. 

Yes, it's irritating to say thank you to someone and they don't say you're welcome, and how "My bad" has replaced "I'm sorry."

• Like 3