Jump to content
Moped

U.S. Air Force's Newest Rifle!

Recommended Posts

The U.S. Air Force is issuing a new "Survival" rifle for it's pilots.  It's a modified M4 with a 12" barrel and fits in the ejection seat of a plane, along with 4 30 round mags.  You can read the article here.  The military has followed the Civilian model this time.  This is basically a AR pistol with a shoulder stock, not a brace. Smart!!! You can read the article here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/usaf-created-mini-rifle-fits-232300799.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moped said:

The U.S. Air Force is issuing a new "Survival" rifle for it's pilots.  It's a modified M4 with a 12" barrel and fits in the ejection seat of a plane, along with 4 30 round mags.  You can read the article here.  The military has followed the Civilian model this time.  This is basically a AR pistol with a shoulder stock, not a brace. Smart!!! You can read the article here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/usaf-created-mini-rifle-fits-232300799.html

I saw that earlier this morning.  Looks cool and would make an awesome truck gun, lol.  Speaking of which, I wish I could come up with an affordable, unobtrusive method of securing a small ar in my SUV, without making it uber obvious or uber expensive, lol.  Ive got a small lockbox, secured by a steel cable that i use in emergencies for my pistol, but it wont really fit anywhere up front, at least accessibly, so its secured in the back storage area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this is actually an SBR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is how much money did they spend to do this instead of just pulling the 2 pins and separating the upper and lower? Put something on the upper to retain the BCG and CH that can be removed easily. Such as this $10 device:

https://rcsgear.com/topstop-ar-upper-receiver-cover/

spacer.png

People even make one for the lower

https://www.shapeways.com/product/2K8V9VN28/ar15-lower-receiver-dust-cover-with-mag-rel-pin

spacer.png

@Defender

Never used them, but this is not expensive. Not as good as a box, but 1/4 the price. Looks like you get a vehicle kit to match what you have. 

 

https://arma15.com/products

 

spacer.png

Edited by Ronald_55
Lower cover
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy the kit the AF is using.

http://cryhavoctac.com/

I don’t know how this will fair in accuracy and longevity testing, but I could see this becoming popular with those who like to “tinker” with their firearms.  The MFG claims less than 1 MOA repeatability.

I’m not sure this offers anything over the standard AR breakdown, for those of us that don’t have to fit our AR in an ejection seat; but its interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens if you don't latch the barrel down and set off a round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Garufa said:

What happens if you don't latch the barrel down and set off a round?

The barrel falls off, you say a bunch of curse words, and you miss what you are shooting at. But that’s just a WAG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The barrel falls off, you say a bunch of curse words, and you miss what you are shooting at. But that’s just a WAG. 

And maybe you're trying to come up with a field expedient cleaning rod to push a bullet out of the barrel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

And maybe you're trying to come up with a field expedient cleaning rod to push a bullet out of the barrel...

Or you are stuck with a VERY short barreled rifle. 😋

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Gunsmith Shop has built and shipped out 2,700 GAU-5As to Air Force units worldwide, at a total cost of $2.7 million."
($1000/copy) Not bad for Government "work." 

Edited by hughd
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hughd said:

"The Gunsmith Shop has built and shipped out 2,700 GAU-5As to Air Force units worldwide, at a total cost of $2.7 million."
($1000/copy) Not bad for Government "work." 

The fact that they built it for this price using off the shelf parts is truly impressive. The gun is cool, but I think it’s the real story here. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$1000 each? Hell, the government can't buy a toilet seat for that cheap. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Garufa said:

What happens if you don't latch the barrel down and set off a round?

 

10 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The barrel falls off, you say a bunch of curse words, and you miss what you are shooting at. But that’s just a WAG. 

 

 

Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooooo.......The Ramada force have finally gotten around to doing what civilians have been doing for 10 years (mostly legally...)???

And I thought the marines were behind the times on kit.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Srsly....ish asking: does anyone in the zoomy crew actually know how to operate an actual hand-held firearm? Because my experiences dealing with the Royal Airforce would suggest no. HAAAARD no. If it's not laser guided, painted & pre-targeted, they ain't gonna hit it. 

The airfarce bods I had to cope with couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, let alone a 'man at 200yds'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, robtattoo said:

Srsly....ish asking: does anyone in the zoomy crew actually know how to operate an actual hand-held firearm? Because my experiences dealing with the Royal Airforce would suggest no. HAAAARD no. If it's not laser guided, painted & pre-targeted, they ain't gonna hit it. 

The airfarce bods I had to cope with couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, let alone a 'man at 200yds'

Besides using .22LR conversion kits:

https://www.military.com/join-armed-forces/air-force-rifle-qualification-course.html 

The Air Force used to also require qualification on the M-9 pistol during basic training, but this requirement was recently eliminated.

During the actual firing, you'll fire a total of 80 rounds at a man-sized target (upper body only) at ranges from 75 meters to 300 meters (1 meter = 1.094 yards). The range at Lackland is a short range, so you'll actually be firing from only 25 yards away. However, the target sizes are shrunk to represent the proper sizes at the specified distances (75 meters, 175 meters, and 300 meters).

 

The Air Force conducts its basic training weapons qualification course in three phases.

Tip: Airmen who hit the target at least 35 times qualify for the Small Arms Expert Ribbon.

  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a rumor that the air force replaced weapons qualification with several days with a golf pro.  The challenge is to build a set of golf clubs to fit in the ejection seat with a six pack.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well first off, we all know the fighter pilots that will get shot down and need this aren’t in the Air Force.

And…if they are giving these to the Air Force, what kind of cool stuff will the Space Force get? 

:leaving:

 

RsKNsGe.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Well first off, we all know the fighter pilots that will get shot down and need this aren’t in the Air Force.

And…if they are giving these to the Air Force, what kind of cool stuff will the Space Force get? 

:leaving:

 

RsKNsGe.jpg

 

"LAZERs" :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I want to join up for The Space Force!  Wonder if they take 57 year olds? :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moped said:

I think I want to join up for The Space Force!  Wonder if they take 57 year olds? :D 

Probably for the first tests to Mars they would.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moped said:

I think I want to join up for The Space Force!  Wonder if they take 57 year olds? :D 

Only if you can save the world 

49562324367_8188fac6ba_z.jpgUntitled by Johnny Rotten, on Flickr

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That CryHavoc kit is pretty cool actually...$350 feels steep but they are a smallish company so bills are bills.  I too am impressed the Air Force built these at such a reasonable cost to the taxpayer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By rab
      I hope that I am at the correct location. I am looking to get a 10-22 Kidd barrel threaded. Does anyone know who preforms this service in the N/E Tn area ( Bristol)? Thanks for the help
    • By BCR#1
      Like new condition, walnut, box w/ all paperwork/test target and a Mueller 8-32x44 fine duplex.
      Bill
       
      https://imgur.com/7ilpe5v
      https://imgur.com/rO4olWq
    • By lock n' load
      Got a friend who's brother bought a Sota Arms AR-15 at a gun show. I have never heard of them. From what reviews I've read about them, they seem kinda of hit or miss in the quality department. Anyone here ever heard of them or has one? Are they any good? Thanks.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines