SIG Cross Rifle [Precision hunting bolt action rifle]

DaveTN

Are we going “Back to the Future”?? So many MFG’s have brought new bolts to market.

I don’t hunt, but I love bolt action rifles. All of mine are blue and Walnut (or laminate); I don’t have any “tactical” bolts. But anyway…. this is interesting.

With it, it appears SIG is going to try to market another designer round they think we need; the .277 SIG Fury. ;) However, they are offering it in the venerable .308 Winchester.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html

WquBVuY.jpg

36 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I can't speak for all hunters but I would never hunt with a gun that looks like that.  Just does not look right to me.

Well, and I don’t see why that would cost more than my Winchester Super Grade or My Remington 700 VLS, but I’m sure it will.

• Like 1

That is one fugly rifle. :eek:  Looks plumb awkward. But being a Sig, I'll bet it shoots great. 

I did a little checking on that 277 Fury round too. 140gr 6mm bullet at 3000fps out of a 16" barrel. Sounds impressive. But its a 3 piece cartridge case. Stainless head and brass (alloy?)  body which makes it a bit lighter per Army's request.  However, at this time Sig is recommending not to reload it. So shooting this thing could get right expensive.  :shake:

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Well, and I don’t see why that would cost more than my Winchester Super Grade or My Remington 700 VLS, but I’m sure it will.

MSRP is $1799 so maybe around $1400+/-street I’m thinking. My Montana had an MSRP in that area and I picked it up for $1200, so who knows. Either way I expect 6.5Cr to be a big seller for it. I do have to say that being 3lbs lighter than my other bolt guns and having that folding stock would make it much easier to take on a long back country hunt. 

Positioning this kind of rifle for hunting is as good as saying "well, it just can't hang with other chassis-mounted precision rifles for accuracy" as far as I'm concerned.

Who is going to want to lug this thing to the deer stand or through thick brush?  Nobody, that's who.   All those projections and cutouts are going to get hung on undergrowth or catch on your gear.   I do think the folding stock is a move in the right direction, but not enough to recommend it for anything.

I think I'll take a Remington 700CP with a brace in 6.5 Creedmoor long before I consider the SIG.

rndz18-700cp-lead.jpg

On 2/25/2020 at 11:55 PM, ken_mays said:

Positioning this kind of rifle for hunting is as good as saying "well, it just can't hang with other chassis-mounted precision rifles for accuracy" as far as I'm concerned.

Who is going to want to lug this thing to the deer stand or through thick brush?  Nobody, that's who.   All those projections and cutouts are going to get hung on undergrowth or catch on your gear.   I do think the folding stock is a move in the right direction, but not enough to recommend it for anything.

I think I'll take a Remington 700CP with a brace in 6.5 Creedmoor long before I consider the SIG.

rndz18-700cp-lead.jpg

My little brother just bought a cheap Savage sporter in 6.5 CM. Shot a 3" group at 350 yards (sub MOA) today with factory ammo. He bought it for hunting because his Ruger precision in 6.5 CM is too heavy for hunting. The Ruger is a half MOA gun.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I have a couple of those. Problem is they require a half, or even one MOA shooter holding them. That’s where the problem lies.

This hits really close to home.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 2
19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I have a couple of those. Problem is they require a half, or even one MOA shooter holding them. That’s where the problem lies.

Back in the day I was that guy. Unfortunately, back surgeries, weight, and age has ruined that for me. :( 

1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

Back in the day I was that guy. Unfortunately, back surgeries, weight, and age has ruined that for me. :( 

We all were back in the day. Until just recently I was 10 foot tall and bullet proof.