Yup, I did a Taurus over Smith....

xtriggerman

Well, after building the 1892 Winchester in 357, I guess I got horned into 357 and just had to finally spring for a nice wheel gun. My taste is in S&W but I want a nice handling range gun and the K frame is just right as not being too heavy. Besides I carried a M10 S&W as a duty gun for 18 years and became fond of my qualifying scores with that action. Problem is, I think S&W has been giving the shooting public the screws on their K frame magnums for a very long time. Frame cutting, and burned throats aside, That I can understand but I draw the line at poor barrel shank design. Iv seen a few K's with bore bulges just forward the barrel shank threads inside the frame mouth. Its ugly and should not happen. Reason being, they stop the barrel treads into a "root diameter" opening cut of the shank rather than stopping the threads into thread OD. Taurus correctly decided long ago that they would correct this deficiency and that is one main reason why I bought a 669 rather than a 66 S&W aside from the $$$ difference. The barrel cylinder gap on the Taurus is perfect at .004. It needs a trigger job and a forcing cone hone that I figured would be needed but all in all, this particular Taurus 357 is going to be a very sweet shooter. Its a bit beefier in the frame than a S&W 66 and the finish is exceptional for the 5 bones even OTD on a GB purchase.
  Ep2b7vTl.jpg
The Taurus shank
C35mYrol.jpg
cEK0fktl.jpg
PhIRbtal.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have 3 Taurus mdl 617's which is a snub nose 2" brl  38Spl/357Mag 7 shot revolver. These are my EDC revolvers. I have carried one of these revolver for about 7 years now. Some of the 617's had heating problems(cylinder would seize up after prolonged firing) and the cylinder would quit turning until they cooled a bit. Luckily,  my 3 have never experienced that problem.  Taurus made the revolvers a little too tight and cured the problem with a thin shim, but corrected the problem in later run revolvers. The 617 is a K frame size revolver. I pocket carry these guns. 

They are nice revolvers that needed no repairs out of the box. One of my 3 is a feather weight which only fires 38Spl ammo. I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased the first one, and when I went back to revolver carry, I decided to purchase the other two.  

My problems came with old age, diabetic neuropathy, plus arthritis in my hands appeared. I limp wrist sometimes without knowing it and most pistols are unforgiving, when one does that, and fail to cycle properly. I have found a couple pistols that will do the job for me, but the revolvers were my first liked guns in the early 50's. I can and do carry a S W M P 9C 2.0, with the 4" brl when I need too. They work for me.

When one bets his safety on a handgun, it, for sure, needs to function reliably for her or him.   I like my 7 shot snubbies. 

• Like 2

Congratulations!!! When I got the .357 fever a couple of years ago, I ended up buying a Stainless Taurus 627 Tracker.  I didn't want to break the bank, and at $482 out the door, Taurus offered the best bang for the dollar.  New Rugers were running $150 higher and S&W's started at $700.  I just wasn't willing to spend that kind of change on what would primarily be a range and woods gun.  I couldn't be happier with my selection.  It's ported and therefore soft shooting, though the flash is a big much in lower light.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SRST51 said:

I made a similar decision after having major issues with a Smith performance center revolver and multiple issues with new Ruger revolvers. 

Picked this up, upgraded the grip and it’s been flawless with my loads. 

spacer.png

Love mine! Nice grips! What are they?

• 2 weeks later...

My Thailand grips came in today and figured I'd show them off. The thing with these grips is there are a few of them on Ebay but they are all cut slightly different. This set looked like the best contoured out of the bunch and man do they fit sweet in the hand. I'm not a fan of rubber despite its properties in sting management on some guns. The well grooved grip allows a more relaxed grip and still have confidant control in full house recoil. Next I'll see how it prints after some action work and post that here.
AxwvaMsl.jpg

• Like 4