Red Dot on Handgun with a Suppressor?

33 minutes ago, TGO David said:

It will work, but why wouldn't you want to go ahead and put taller sights on it for the sake of reliability in case the optic goes down?

I may very well do that. I was asking about the red dot optic simply because that will perhaps drive the next purchase choice as to whether or not to get a MOS model. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

I may very well do that. I was asking about the red dot optic simply because that will perhaps drive the next purchase choice as to whether or not to get a MOS model. 

I presume you are talking about Glocks.  I am not a fan of the MOS mounting system.  I would recommend buying an aftermarket slide that is already milled for an RMR and then mounting up an RMR or a Holosun 507c or 508T optic (they share the same footprint).  You will end up with an optic that sits lower in the slide and has a stronger mounting.

A multitude of slides are available for that these days.  Brownells makes the most affordable versions.  Zev and others make fancier versions.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions and direction. I’m just starting to research my options. The Holosun HS407A3 caught my interest due to price point and the shake awake feature. 

I don’t want something like the Vortex Venom which requires it to be manually turned on through pressing a button. 

Also not a fan of MOS. I had a Glock slide milled out and put a RMR on it and I shoot suppressed. No issues seeing the dot as it’s well clear of the suppressor.  Only issue I can say I’ve had with this setup is the RMR gets very dirty due to using the suppressor. Go ahead and buy suppressor height sights and when you send your slide off they can install the sites for you at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Slappy said:

Also not a fan of MOS. I had a Glock slide milled out and put a RMR on it and I shoot suppressed. No issues seeing the dot as it’s well clear of the suppressor.  Only issue I can say I’ve had with this setup is the RMR gets very dirty due to using the suppressor. Go ahead and buy suppressor height sights and when you send your slide off they can install the sites for you at the same time. 

What did it run you to have the slide milled out?

Anyone in particular you recommend to do the work?

$320 (but used Instagram coupon code and paid $272) from Boogeyman Customs! He’s gained quite the following since I had my slide milled so not sure what he is charging now but it’ll be on his website. I got the LLorona Elite cut, RMR optic cut had it Cerakoted MultiCam Black and turned out GREAT. I’ve had at least 4 other friends send their slides to him and everyone has been thrilled. 

https://www.boogeymancustoms.com

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Slappy said:

$320 (but used Instagram coupon code and paid $272) from Boogeyman Customs! He’s gained quite the following since I had my slide milled so not sure what he is charging now but it’ll be on his website. I got the LLorona Elite cut, RMR optic cut had it Cerakoted MultiCam Black and turned out GREAT. I’ve had at least 4 other friends send their slides to him and everyone has been thrilled. 

https://www.boogeymancustoms.com

Thanks. Not really looking for a lot of flash, just slide milled for an optic. This looks very helpful.

10 minutes ago, hipower said:

Thanks. Not really looking for a lot of flash, just slide milled for an optic. This looks very helpful.

His optic cuts are $75 and my RMR fits perfectly. I did kinda go all out with that one haha All my other Glocks are factory 😬

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Slappy said:

His optic cuts are $75 and my RMR fits perfectly. I did kinda go all out with that one haha All my other Glocks are factory 😬

Haven't fully decided which handgun to do yet, but leaning toward the G19 as well. That's not what I shoot a lot, but common enough that if I don't get fond of it, I should be able to move it reasonably.

My next choice would probably be the 43X or a Sig 320. 

Might I ask what RMR you bought for your Glock? I'm so confused by all this, I think my first one is best just a good recommended one at this time. Don't really know enough to start. lol

Reading about the optic choices is one thing, actually touching and trying is preferable. But I don't know of anyplace to readily try a selection.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Haven't fully decided which handgun to do yet, but leaning toward the G19 as well. That's not what I shoot a lot, but common enough that if I don't get fond of it, I should be able to move it reasonably.

My next choice would probably be the 43X or a Sig 320. 

Might I ask what RMR you bought for your Glock? I'm so confused by all this, I think my first one is best just a good recommended one at this time. Don't really know enough to start. lol

Reading about the optic choices is one thing, actually touching and trying is preferable. But I don't know of anyplace to readily try a selection.

I purchased a RMR Type 1 that was on a close out when the Type 2’s were releasing. The Type 1’s had issues with flickering due to battery connectivity. I fought these same issues but there are several easy fixes you could make to make it 100% reliable. These things should have worked right from the get go but I decided to save the money buying the older model and tinker with it myself and I’ve been very pleased. 

So, I’d get a type 2. There are a few options with the type 2 to choose from. Adjustable LED, Automatically adjusting LED and then a battery free version that uses fiber optic and tritium. Then you just select the MOA Dot Size, color, mounting options etc. 

I personally would buy the User Adjustable LED because I shoot under NODs occasionally and like the ability to know the dot is at a safe NV level. I’m not sure if the automaticcly adjusting one would work or not for that purpose. 

I also have used the battery free version and still prefer the LED model because occasionally it’s hard to see the dot even with the tritium. The tritium has a half life so it’s always dimming. I’m also unsure if there would be issues seeing the dot when using a pistol light, if the fiber optic will be able to use the available pistol light to the point the dot doesn’t get washed out or not.  May be a non issue but I haven’t experimented with it yet. 

Hey Hipower, you can always get a 43X milled for the Holosun 407K/507K or wait until Trijicon releases their compact optic.

I am still new to the red dot and night vision but most of the guys I work with leave things in manual on dot intensity.  It is set brighter than desired under night vision but if you have to go to white light it is still bright enough to see. 

On 2/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, TGO David said:

I presume you are talking about Glocks.  I am not a fan of the MOS mounting system.  I would recommend buying an aftermarket slide that is already milled for an RMR and then mounting up an RMR or a Holosun 507c or 508T optic (they share the same footprint).  You will end up with an optic that sits lower in the slide and has a stronger mounting.

A multitude of slides are available for that these days.  Brownells makes the most affordable versions.  Zev and others make fancier versions.

The CHPWS optic plate double your thread engagement and fills the void in front of the optic and the stock MOS cut.  I have one on my 19 and 17 MOS and have been very please with them. 

http://www.chpws.com/product/holosun-glock-mos-adapter-plate-v3

10 hours ago, DBTN said:

Hey Hipower, you can always get a 43X milled for the Holosun 407K/507K or wait until Trijicon releases their compact optic.

I am still new to the red dot and night vision but most of the guys I work with leave things in manual on dot intensity.  It is set brighter than desired under night vision but if you have to go to white light it is still bright enough to see. 

Thanks buddy. I've just spent a great portion of the evening reading and watching videos on the RMR/Optic subject. 

I may actually have absorbed some knowledge from it.

From my observations, the Holosun 507K looks to be a very valid choice. It has features and strengths across the board that seem to make it the best choice for me as a beginner. I liked the dot, circle, and circle/dot modes on it as well.

I did consider the Shield RMSc, but saw many comments on the structural strength of the frame questioned, and concerns on drops and possible mechanism failures.  DDP was also in the running, but just didn't make enough of an impression either way on me to feel really good about it. The Trijicon SRO is probably better, and I certainly like the larger viewing surface, and the dot didn't seem to be obstructed as much in bright light; but also much higher in price. Like the comment goes, I don't want to start with an optic that costs more than the pistol I put it on.

Still leaning toward Glock as a host, but the fear of screwing up a good pistol makes me want to look at the availability and cost of a slide change for starters. Give TGO David credit for that thought. lol

Never having considered this before, I have to ask this...does buying a second slide require parts changeover, or would it come complete ready to install? I've bought complete Glock frames a few times when tinkering with 22 uppers, but never a slide.

Edited by hipower
9 hours ago, Slappy said:

Don’t be worried about messing up a slide. People cut these with CNC machines all the time. Get a Glock, send the slide off for cut and sight install, throw the optic on there and run it like a scalded dog! You’ll love it.  

More concerned about my not liking it and having a pistol that I didn't care for. lol like several others I have stashed away.

• Haha 1