Yearly Cleaning

pop pop

I am getting ready to do my yearly gun cleaning. It will be a thorough cleaning for the ones I fired and the other safe queens, they will get a oil soaked patch in the barrel and a good wiped down.

I am fortunate, that I put in a vapor barrier, under the floor of the house, and a heat rod in my safe a few years ago. Afterwards, I have had no rust problems at all. Seems to have eliminated any moisture in my gun safe.

Last year my 15 Y O grandson and I cleaned all 45 of my guns. With his help it only took us part of 2 days. He will be getting his drivers license next week, and I guess I have lost my cleaning partner as his dad has already purchased a truck for him. Several of his friends are already driving so he is not around much. Children grow.

I do remember 16 and my first car. That was a good while ago and my first car was a 58 Ford Starliner, with 3 on the column, and an in line 6 cylinder engine. I purchased from my sister for 300.00 in 1964. I was free at last, free at last, I thought! OH, for the good old days!

Now I have 3, The Golden Nugget(a Chevy Trail Blazer SUV), a Honda Accord("Pearlie" for the misses), and "Whittie Jr"( 2500 HD Chevy Single wheel Durimax Disel (for pulling a 35' "Wildcat" 5th wheel RV). As you can see our grandkids have named all our rides. Not bragging at all, because I have to keep all them up and pay insurance on them.

Well I sure got off the subject of gun cleaning. I guess old men ramble, sometimes. I have given several of my guns to family so I don't have as many to clean. Plan is to give most of them, to my grandkids before I pass. 

Thinking I need to get started, but will have breakfast first. Got to stick around today because one of my daughters purchased, for me, a new I phone 11 and UPS is supposed/will deliver and make me sign for it today. Guess I will need to learn another phone now. Really looking forward to that.  

Any ways it will be a good day for gun cleaning. Will clean, and lube the dirty ones first. You guys have a good day. 

Edited by pop pop
spelling
  • Like 4

Hey Pop Pop, don't apologize for rambling at all. That is good, it means you still remember something to ramble about. LOL I can say that as I am an old fart myself!! Don't get too overly excited by the smell of Hoppe's #9 which I still think would make a good women's perfume odor. There would be every gun guy following her around like a bird dog on a covey of quail. Have fun!!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Hey Pop Pop, don't apologize for rambling at all. That is good, it means you still remember something to ramble about. LOL I can say that as I am an old fart myself!! Don't get too overly excited by the smell of Hoppe's #9 which I still think would make a good women's perfume odor. There would be every gun guy following her around like a bird dog on a covey of quail. Have fun!!

Won't work for my sidekick. She absolutely hates the smell of Hoppe's. Makes me shower after cleaning guns. Says I smell up the house.

• Like 1

Got all, but 3 of my handguns cleaned yesterday. Will finish them up this morning, L/w, and get started on the long guns. I haven't fired as many of the long guns as we did our handguns. It shouldn't take that long with the long ones. Mostly just a light lube, and run an oily patch through the barrels and then finish with a good wipe down to protect them from rust.  

Will be glad to get them laid by for summer.