Franken-PLR16 or how to make a lightweight 5.56 on the cheap

Got tired of staring at the thing...they are surprisingly easy to shoot without a brace and woo-wee what a fireball...but the triggers suck...tons of phillips screws look dumb, and lets just face it having a brace makes aiming easier...however one huge advantage to these is weight...3.4lbs stock....I still need to weigh it but even with the added kit I think im still at 5lbs or less....I got some other plans for later but im happy with its direction.

IMG_8707 (1).jpg

IMG_8708 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Meant to add in addition to adding the stock adaptor and brace I also installed the MCarbo Allen Head Black Stainless screw set and most important the MCarbo Aluminum trigger Kit so she now has a crisp 5lb pull without the sponginess of the plastic trigger...it was interesting separating the bottom half down the middle...kind of opposite of how you disassemble an AR.  The folding mechanism is the UTG AK Side Folder adaptor...shockingly robust as the reviews were very hit or miss.

• Thanks 1

Interesting... do you have a handguard plan?   I know the factory handguard is nothing I would be happy with.
Glad to hear installing the trigger wasn't bad... the last time I did a trigger job on a Sub-2000 I swore it would be the last time.   Nothing like springs and parts flying out when you separate the receiver halves, and trying to hold everything in while you put it together.

Edited by ken_mays
8 hours ago, ken_mays said:

Interesting... do you have a handguard plan?   I know the factory handguard is nothing I would be happy with.
Glad to hear installing the trigger wasn't bad... the last time I did a trigger job on a Sub-2000 I swore it would be the last time.   Nothing like springs and parts flying out when you separate the receiver halves, and trying to hold everything in while you put it together.

Haha that hammer spring did smack the hell out of my finger I’m surprised it didn’t draw blood!!  I’ve seen some modified saiga handguards and some modified magpul options...I’ve also considered just modifying a Mako finger groove mag well as it’s honestly most comfortable and natural to bring it to my shoulder and grip it with my left on the mag well...whatever I do is gonna stay with the lightweight theme.  This whole abomination was in the name of having a small “go bag” (though I ain’t going nowhere with my fat a$$ lol) style ar15 that was easily concealable but practical and inexpensive.  It’s not anywhere as attractive as a Saint Edge pistol but it weighs almost a pound less with a side folding stock, is shorter, and can be fired with the stock folded since it’s a piston gun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, ken_mays said:

Nothing like springs and parts flying out when you separate the receiver halves, and trying to hold everything in while you put it together.

That's what dry cleaning bags are made for. 

DISCLAIMER: Like firearms they must be treated with respect and kept out of the reach of children. Safety first.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That's what dry cleaning bags are made for. 

DISCLAIMER: Like firearms they must be treated with respect and kept out of the reach of children. Safety first.

I actually just yelled at our older kid last week for climbing into a plastic bag. Momma did, too. We both gave him both barrels, I almost felt bad for him.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Yep, when its $459 new.

https://grabagun.com/kel-tec-plr16-pstl-223-9-2-10rd.html

However...its not him; that has 40 bids.

I've looked over that ad 3 times now...I don't see why in the hell people are shelling out that much for a used one when the new ones are readily available for $500ish???  People really do just get a desire to "win the bid"...god bless gunbroker.

16 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I've looked over that ad 3 times now...I don't see why in the hell people are shelling out that much for a used one when the new ones are readily available for $500ish???  People really do just get a desire to "win the bid"...god bless gunbroker.

Why don't you go out and shoot it? Stop playing with your gun you will go blind 🍆

• Haha 2
20 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Ha ha ha, it closed at $1020. To someone with zero feedback.

There are two that will end in a couple of days. They are both under $500 right now.