Feb 25th...this day in history.....

• Authorized Vendor

On February 25, 1964, 22-year-old Cassius Clay shocks the odds-makers by dethroning world heavyweight boxing champ Sonny Liston in a seventh-round technical knockout. The dreaded Liston, who had twice demolished former champ Floyd Patterson in one round, was an 8-to-1 favorite. However, Clay predicted victory, boasting that he would “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” and knock out Liston in the eighth round. 

The fleet-footed and loquacious youngster who would later become known as Muhammed Ali needed less time to make good on his claim–Liston, complaining of an injured shoulder, failed to answer the seventh-round bell. A few moments later, a new heavyweight champion was proclaimed.

20LEWISTONweb1-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Ali was great but, I never liked his mouth. I never liked the fact that he converted to Islam either. Kinda like he turned his back on America. He should be remembered as Cassius Clay.

Not to mention refusing to serve in the military.

• Like 3

I got to meet Larry Holmes in 1999 and I have a pair of boxing gloves signed by him. What does that have to do with this thread you ask? :confused:

Well its because I just remembered... he beat Ali’s azz also. :slapfight:

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Ali was great but, I never liked his mouth. I never liked the fact that he converted to Islam either. Kinda like he turned his back on America. He should be remembered as Cassius Clay.

We should all be remembered as we choose to live.

And while I may not understand or like the choices someone makes, I do admire someone with conviction.

• Like 1