Is TN Enhanced permit transferable to NC?

We'll be moving to NC in a few months. I've had my TN permit for about 15 years or so and contacted the Sheriff's Dept in NC where we're moving to regarding this question. I was told that TN permits are not transferable, but a NC permit would be transferable if I were moving from there to TN. I've read the TN permit law from front to back and find no wording that prevents transfer, despite being told by the NC authorities that the TN law is so worded. Anyone know the definitive answer? TIA.

22 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

TN doesn’t determine whether or not NC will accept the permit for transfer, NC does. The issuing authority in NC is the county sheriff of residence therefore the sheriff you spoke to is the final authority on the matter. 

I get that, What confused me is that I was told by the NC sheriff's dept was that it was specific wording in the TN statute that prohibits transfer, which is not true.

52 minutes ago, subsonic said:

Examination of NC law reveals that there is no accommodation for transfer of out of state permits there. Oh well, guess I'm jumping through all the hoops again.

NC doesn’t allow for it. They don’t even allow Federal LEO’s an exception.

PLEASE NOTE: There is NO exemption for Federal Agents, State or Federal Correctional Officers.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

How is it NC can override a federal law?

I believe it’s in reference to LEO/feds that live in state and wish to acquire a state carry permit. It doesn’t prevent them from carrying on creds, just doesn’t give them a head start for a state permit. I know TN exempts them from having to go through the hoops. NC doesn’t. 

• Like 1

I have had a permit in both states, and I can tell you they are not transferable in the sense that one state will issue a permit based solely on having a valid permit from the other. TN will allow six months of carry on an out-of-state permit for those moving into TN, but then you must obtain a TN permit.  NC is not so generous (although, as noted, OC is an option). It used to be in NC that you could get a permit from a state that issues non-resident permits and use it to carry in NC, even as an NC resident. The local sheriffs did not like that rule, so it may have changed in the past few years.