Big News

There have been bills in the past, but is there a current bill he is supporting? It still has to get though the legislature.

Good news though. I also hope he suggests legislation that really puts the screws to violent offenders.

Maybe the surprise is a bill will also be announced.

Edited by DaveTN
9 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Maybe this?

Finally!! He wants to make theft of a firearm a felony with mandatory jail time instead of arresting me when a criminal steals a gun from my car. Who would have ever thunk it!

The Tennessean had to HATE printing this story. ;)

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Finally!! He wants to make theft of a firearm a felony with mandatory jail time instead of arresting me when a criminal steals a gun from my car. Who would have ever thunk it!

The Tennessean had to HATE printing this story. ;)

Yeah, but they laced it with lies about background checks. 

• Haha 1

I got a 2nd e-mail from TFA just a little while ago telling all about this. While it all sounds good, the actual bill isn't available to read yet. TFA warns that there could be a devil in the details.  I am pleased with penalizing criminals more harshly. That really does need to be done. 

Politicians say a lot of things. But that don't necessarily make it so. Its got to go through the legislature first. Then they might amend it to death. 

Honestly, I'm unsure about Constitutional Carry. While I do fully support our Constitution and love any law that supports our rights. I'm also very aware that there are a great many really stupid people out there that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a gun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I got a 2nd e-mail from TFA just a little while ago telling all about this. While it all sounds good, the actual bill isn't available to read yet. TFA warns that there could be a devil in the details.  I am pleased with penalizing criminals more harshly. That really does need to be done. 

Politicians say a lot of things. But that don't necessarily make it so. Its got to go through the legislature first. Then they might amend it to death. 

Honestly, I'm unsure about Constitutional Carry. While I do fully support our Constitution and love any law that supports our rights. I'm also very aware that there are a great many really stupid people out there that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a gun.

Every time constitutional carry comes up, I ask people to think about ALL the drivers on the road. Supposedly, these are people who have proved they're safe and responsible drivers. Some actually are...

• Like 4

I have zero concerns about Constitutional carry. Sure, people need to be trained, but that will be their responsibility to get that training. If they screw up because they weren’t properly trained, they will be sued the same as if they were properly trained and screw up.

As a former Police Officer, I can assure you with absolute certainty that the government can’t protect you. Therefore, they shouldn’t get to decide who can carry and who can’t. The Tennessee HCP class is a joke, I don’t think many that are trained will argue that. We also stand by and see/hear the stories of people in those classes that are passed and have absolutely no chance of hitting a target in a stressful situation.

The bill should be available in a couple of days. That’s what the Governor said anyway. We shall see what’s in it. What we have not seen in the past is the Governor making the announcement and giving his support at the time the bill is proposed.

At least until someone finds a problem with the bill; this is a GREAT thing.

I’ve been on this forum since it started. I support Constitutional Carry, although I don’t believe my right to carry comes from the 2nd amendment. I’ve always been told “Baby Steps, Dave, we have to take baby steps” I’ve always thought that was BS. The baby steps are over. We will now get it, or we won’t.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, 1796 said:

Will there be any actual enhancements to the “enhanced” carry permit?

Yes, you are able to carry in other states as always where as the "new" concealed only permit and constitutional carry will be TN carry only.

Bill

10 minutes ago, BCR#1 said:

Yes, you are able to carry in other states as always where as the "new" concealed only permit and constitutional carry will be TN carry only.

Bill

That’s not correct.

Illinois allows you to have a gun in your car if you are carrying a permit from your state that allows you to carry a weapon in public. Enhanced or concealed; it does not matter.

I don’t know if that’s the only state, but it’s the only one I cared enough to check on. ;)

However, until we see the bill in a couple of days; we don’t know what’s in it. I doubt it will have ANY impact on my carry permit, or the state continuing to accept my money for the card. But as hard as it is to imagine; I could be wrong.

Edited by DaveTN

Well... it didn't take the Tennessean long to publish this story. You think maybe they had it sitting in the wings? ;)

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2020/02/27/tennessee-business-owners-lawmakers-react-ahead-gov-bill-lees-expected-permitless-carry-gun-announce/4890759002/

Opponents call the specter of citizens toting handguns as they walk through Tennessee public spaces alarming and dangerous.

Sen. Raumesh Akbari, Senate Democratic Caucus chairwoman, called the legislation "a bad idea that endangers every Tennessean."

"Whether you live in a city or a suburb, no family is made safer by laws that encourage more untrained and unlicensed people to carry lethal firearms. Tennesseans support the 2nd Amendment, but they also believe firmly in responsible gun ownership and policies, like mandatory background checks, that promote accountability.”

District Attorneys in Memphis and Nashville issued statements on Thursday opposing permitless carry proposal. Nashville District Attorney Glenn Funk said it "will result in a more dangerous environment for Tennessee families."