Big News

• Moderators

I received an email from the NRA – ILA claiming credit in leading the way for this bill. For some reason I have strong doubts to the veracity of that claim. There’s is a reason why I am a member of the TFA and not the NRA. 

If this bill is a good one, I will be putting in personal appearances at the offices of my state legislators. Considering I’m only home for a few days a month at maximum, that is a serious commitment of time for me and sacrifice by my family. I will also be contacting my county sheriff to encourage him to vocally support this measure. 

I already have a lifetime permit so this will affect me in no way. That said, if this bill is a good one, it will be a huge step to finally get the state of Tennessee to recognize the citizens’ individual right of self-defense.

If I want the government to recognize my rights without voting from the rooftops, then my slacktivism must end now. Alternately cheering and bitching on the internet doesn’t seem to do a whole lot. It’s time for me to put some legwork into it. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I heard & saw the Gov. speak this from his own mouth. I applaud him for doing so. How this will play out in the Legislature ( amend the crap out of it ), remains to be seen. One Dem. has already spoke against it, so...........

I understand this bill will be sponsored by the senate majority leader and the house majority leader. In political parlance, this means it is a done deal.

• Like 3

I Have to show my ignorance but I have to wonder how constitutional carry will affect reciprocity with other states. One could only guess that you would still need the now "enhanced" HCP to stay on the correct side of the law when traveling. Assuming this is the case, would we see an increase in price (tax) to keep the HCP? If a rise in fees is the case, could one speculate that a push for constitutional carry could be a way to make it more difficult to carry, by limiting where you can carry and how you can carry. Don't misunderstand me, I am very pro our right to protect ourselves, but until this is a nation wide event, and while it seems to be good news, is this a big deal?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

This is the headline on WKRN. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting that is fake news. ;)

https://www.wkrn.com/news/governor-bill-lee-introduces-legislation-to-remove-handgun-carry-permits-within-tennessee/

it is, though Rep. Lambert is running a bill to remove the cost to the State to perfect the permit or renew it.  Looks like that will pass as well.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Unless changes are made to the permit itself, this will not affect reciprocity with other states. Constitutional carry doesn’t affect what happens when you’re in another state. A constitutional carry statue will only address the need for a permit when you were in the state of Tennessee. Your permit and the other states willingness to accept that permit is where reciprocity lies. 

• Like 4

On the local Channel 3 (CBS) TV news they ran video of a press conference by the Memphis Police Chief where he stressed what a bad idea this is. A few pics of Gov. Lee, but no audio or video of him explaining why he backed it. Think they might be just a bit bias? 

If this does pass, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if gun related crimes and accidental shootings went up in Memphis. After all, that city is ground zero for stupid in this state. :mad:

11 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

On the local Channel 3 (CBS) TV news they ran video of a press conference by the Memphis Police Chief where he stressed what a bad idea this is. A few pics of Gov. Lee, but no audio or video of him explaining why he backed it. Think they might be just a bit bias? 

If this does pass, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if gun related crimes and accidental shootings went up in Memphis. After all, that city is ground zero for stupid in this state. :mad:

For Memphis this is a very bad idea.  I have three nephews who are police officers and know a lot of Bartlett police officers.  I feel for their safety along with the people in the Memphis area.  If this passes I can see many businesses in the Memphis putting up NO Gun Signs on their doors.  Having police officers in the family I can tell you the media does not tell you everything that is going on in the city.  I had an issue at my home two years ago that never hit the news.  I know a lot of folks on TGO are for Constitutional carry and that is fine, but I am not for it.  Just my opinion.

55 minutes ago, The Legion said:

For Memphis this is a very bad idea.  I have three nephews who are police officers and know a lot of Bartlett police officers.  I feel for their safety along with the people in the Memphis area.  If this passes I can see many businesses in the Memphis putting up NO Gun Signs on their doors.  Having police officers in the family I can tell you the media does not tell you everything that is going on in the city.  I had an issue at my home two years ago that never hit the news.  I know a lot of folks on TGO are for Constitutional carry and that is fine, but I am not for it.  Just my opinion.

Do your friends and family members that are Police Officers share your concerns for their safety? As a Police Officer I never thought that a law, any law, would keep a criminal from trying to shoot me. Keeping me alive was a job I took very seriously; but it was my job.

With more guns being in the hands of incompetents out in the open, in their daily travels; I can see the possibility for more people getting shot. But guns are already legal in cars and in homes, those are the places most of those stupid actions that get people killed take place.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Do your friends and family members that are Police Officers share your concerns for their safety? As a Police Officer I never thought that a law, any law, would keep a criminal from trying to shoot me. Keeping me alive was a job I took very seriously; but it was my job.

With more guns being in the hands of incompetents out in the open, in their daily travels; I can see the possibility for more people getting shot. But guns are already legal in cars and in homes, those are the places most of those stupid actions that get people killed take place.

I feel the same way today as I did when I was a cop: I only worry about guns in the hands of criminals. Now, when and where I was a cop open carry was legal, (which I never saw happen other than at a range), and there were extremely few people allowed to carry concealed. Those people were mostly law enforcement, judges, and the politically connected. They were pretty easy to tell from the criminals because they tend to dress better.

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree with Constitutional right to bear arms and Constitutional carry is a right. My feelings are also it might not be the best idea to allow a  person over age 21 to just go out and buy a gun and carry it without some type of education on gun ownership. Maybe a class like the ones we had to pass to get our permits to at least make sure the person that has never owned a gun knows which end the projectile(bullet) exits when the trigger is pulled!! Then they must provide that to be able to purchase a gun. That is JMHO!

Many criminals are walking around with guns today. No law is going to change that. No permit is going to prevent that. Law abiding citizens having a legal option to defend themselves will help negate criminal intentions.

It seems as if many people believe that for some odd reason, criminals tend to obey gun laws. I don't get it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I have not had a chance to speak to any of my nephews who are police officers yet about this, but when I do I will let you know their feelings about the issue.  I shoot competitively and I do know that many of my fellow shooters are not comfortable with people carrying without a permit. 

9 minutes ago, The Legion said:

I have not had a chance to speak to any of my nephews who are police officers yet about this, but when I do I will let you know their feelings about the issue.  I shoot competitively and I do know that many of my fellow shooters are not comfortable with people carrying without a permit. 

I don’t doubt that one bit. But what if the training required had to be at least equal to whatever your local PD requires for new Officers, including the testing? Would they be okay with that? I would be, but a lot of folks wouldn’t have an HCP. Some because they couldn’t commit to the hours and some because they wouldn’t pass the tests.

I want people to have to attend a training class and pass a test to vote. That’s way more important. But alas…the SCOTUS said no, no tests for Constitutional rights. I think that's what they said; but I may have just made that up.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, The Legion said:

Do you realize people routinely carry without a permit now?

41 minutes ago, The Legion said:

Well, having to go through the state-mandated firearms training for my HCP it's my opinion that it is a joke and doesn't train anyone sufficiently to know what they are doing with a gun, so why do you feel it's so danged important now?

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree with Constitutional right to bear arms and Constitutional carry is a right. My feelings are also it might not be the best idea to allow a  person over age 21 to just go out and buy a gun and carry it without some type of education on gun ownership. Maybe a class like the ones we had to pass to get our permits to at least make sure the person that has never owned a gun knows which end the projectile(bullet) exits when the trigger is pulled!! Then they must provide that to be able to purchase a gun. That is JMHO!

Doug, I see what you're saying, but you either agree with the 2A or you don't. The 2a doesn't mention age, permits, or background checks.

Everybody will have an opinion on this, & they will vary all over the map. That's fine, they are entitled to it.

Personally, I'll stick with the 2A as is. Works for me. A permit is a tax.

JMHO

• Like 3

If your carry requires training, you're not carrying under Constitutional carry.

I'm less concerned about criminals (I totally agree that they'll do what they want regardless.) than I am about the average well-meaning but totally irresponsible person, who really has no business carrying, having zero bar to meet in order to carry a gun.

I'm comfortable having some admin that keeps the impressively lazy and willfully irresponsible from being entitled to have a gun in my space.

Edited by TomInMN
Clarity
  • Like 1