Big News

On 2/27/2020 at 1:29 PM, E4 No More said:

Laws don't keep stupid people away from guns anymore than they keep stupid people from doing stupid things.

they can keep stupid people from carrying a gun in public areas that they were too cheap, too dumb, or too inaccurate to legally do when a carry permit was required....im for the enhanced penalties on theft I am not at all for permitless carry.  I mean if you can't hit a 7yd target and pass a test where they pretty much give you the answers....do you really need to be hip holstering it at wally world?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

If your carry requires training, you're not carrying under Constitutional carry.

I'm less concerned about criminals (I totally agree that they'll do what they want regardless.) than I am about the average well-meaning but totally irresponsible person, who really has no business carrying, having zero bar to meet in order to carry a gun.

I'm comfortable having some admin that keeps the impressively lazy and willfully irresponsible from being entitled to have a gun in my space.

And that, in a nutshell, is why we frown on yankees moving down here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I'm comfortable having some admin that keeps the impressively lazy and willfully irresponsible from being entitled to have a gun in my space.

I'm not comfortable with any admin. telling folks what they can or cannot do & when & where. Waaay too much Gvnt.  interference in peoples lives. Amazing how we got along fine without it, in times long past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

And that, in a nutshell, is why we frown on yankees moving down here.

to be fair letterkenny problems GIF

While I vehemently disagree with Tom’s view, we’ve had a few of our own express the same view. To me that is a much more egregious offense. They should know better. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

I'm not comfortable with any admin. telling folks what they can or cannot do & when & where. Waaay too much Gvnt.  interference in peoples lives. Amazing how we got along fine without it, in times long past.

When was that, exactly? And what's your benchmark for "fine"?

For the record. I hope it does pass. I support any law that confirms our Constitutional rights.

However, you guys who live in the boonies and smaller towns can't even fathom the level of irresponsibility, incompetence, ignorance and downright stupidity that is Memphis. I suspect Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville are the same.  When the law passes, and I'm sure it will, the learning curve for idiots is gonna be both steep and deadly. I fear a lot of mistakes will be made. Innocent people may die. And the antis will most assuredly be watching.  

I truly do hope that my fellow Tennesseans will prove my lack of faith to be wrong. Time will tell. 

• Like 3

Poor inner city people have the right to defend themselves just like people that live in big money neighborhoods. It's really not anyone's business who has a gun. You can't say the constitution only applies to you and people that look or think like you. I can't stand liberals, but you'll never hear me say they need to be disarmed. 

Edited by alleycat72
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those Vermont Yankees have had permitless carry for over a century.  Fifteen other states have gone that way more recently, all after gloom and doom, blood in the street predictions of critics. 

It seems the dire predictions were wrong, it shouldn’t be any different for Tennessee.

• Like 2

Even closer to home, our neighboring state of NC, with a similar population distribution, has had permitless open carry for quite a long time. It has not been a catastrophe. I don't think permitless carry in general is going to cause any significant problems here. 

Edited by 1796
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

For the record, those of y’all who are expressing your discomfort and dislike of Constitutional carry sound real familiar. Y’all should go back and read the news articles from around the time when Tennessee was first pondering its shall issue handgun carry statute. You sound just like the “streets will run red with blood” anti-gunners from then. Hell, if that’s too far back for you then why don’t you check the threads on this very board from when the laws were being changed to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

It’s always the same argument every time. It’s also the same results every time. Nothing bad at all happens. Nobody ever really thinks the law is necessary for themselves. It’s always to protect them from those other idiots who aren’t responsible. That argument motivated by simple fear of other people is the same argument anti-gunners use against us when they seek to ban assault weapons or whatever else it is they’re after.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 5

I would like to see the enhanced permit actually enhanced to remove carry restrictions for people that want to carry in places right now that you cannot carry like colleges.

Legal constitutional carry is the right step forward for this state.  Good people have carried concealed and do carry all across this country without a license for protection.  Other states that border TN do not seem to have a problem with constitutional carry.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

they can keep stupid people from carrying a gun in public areas that they were too cheap, too dumb, or too inaccurate to legally do when a carry permit was required....im for the enhanced penalties on theft I am not at all for permitless carry.  I mean if you can't hit a 7yd target and pass a test where they pretty much give you the answers....do you really need to be hip holstering it at wally world?

We'll have to agree to disagree. I will point out that criminals - for the most part - tend to have a sub 100 I.Q.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

For the record. I hope it does pass. I support any law that confirms our Constitutional rights.

However, you guys who live in the boonies and smaller towns can't even fathom the level of irresponsibility, incompetence, ignorance and downright stupidity that is Memphis. I suspect Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville are the same.  When the law passes, and I'm sure it will, the learning curve for idiots is gonna be both steep and deadly. I fear a lot of mistakes will be made. Innocent people may die. And the antis will most assuredly be watching.  

I truly do hope that my fellow Tennesseans will prove my lack of faith to be wrong. Time will tell. 

Actually, I live in the country now but I lived in Nashville for a couple of decades. I will also point out that 16 other states have constitutional carry, and they haven't experienced Armageddon. 

• Like 3
On 2/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Grayfox54 said:

On the local Channel 3 (CBS) TV news they ran video of a press conference by the Memphis Police Chief where he stressed what a bad idea this is. A few pics of Gov. Lee, but no audio or video of him explaining why he backed it. Think they might be just a bit bias? 

If this does pass, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if gun related crimes and accidental shootings went up in Memphis. After all, that city is ground zero for stupid in this state. :mad:

Criminals don't obey the laws, so it will not make any difference in their activities.

• Like 4

IMHO, its not that it would make it the wild wild west. I believe this state is good to go because it is a gun culture state. I would like to see the untrained, just throw a tiny gun in my pocket or purse type crowd, get training though. (ever been on the wrong end of a gun barrel?)....
But there is no way to enforce that. Hell, I'd like to see everyone go into a shoot house training session to see how they'd do and maybe really get a clue. But that won't happen either.

In any event, I think we'd be fine here. The wild west mentality mentioned, is NOT the first time I've heard that. Not just from politicians either. The public are just as bad. The are either parroting or watching too many tv/movies involving guns.
I do believe it could be problematic in states like NJ, (where I'm from), NYC, etc... There will be an over abundance of people strapping like you've never seen. 

If you live/grown up in a gun culture state, business as usual hopefully...

If you live in a anti-gun state, I can see Bernard Getz mentality all over... ;)

Just to fyi some that may have not seen this. Best States for Gun Owners (2019)
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/best-states-for-gun-owners/369075

Mississippi has constitutional carry, a concealed license without training, and an actual enhanced license (not like the TN enhanced) where you can carry on school and college property legally.  I have yet to hear of many problems out of good people there.

I hope the politicians and gun organizations can get behind that kind of system in TN this year.

• Like 3

I don’t doubt that there will be some issues and some people will die. There will be more Accidental/Negligent discharges, there will be more people shot because they have a gun in their hand when they shouldn’t, there are going to be more people go to prison that are otherwise law abiding citizens that did something stupid and illegal with a firearm.

Do I care? Sure, I feel sorry for those people. Do I care enough to put an asterisk by a Constitutional Right declaring a training class and a permit is required? No.

We could, right now, review incident after incident, of people that were “trained” according to the state, but got themselves or someone else killed through ignorant, reckless, or illegal acts. But that won’t change the minds of those that believe in what is documented in the Constitution.

If this passes, I suspect a pretty smooth implementation with a few new stories here and there of stupid gun owners, pretty much the same as we have now.

• Like 3

What a far cry from the sh*tfest to the north of us in VA.  Btw I was at tricities yesterday and just went by to see Bloombergs crowd of 40 people... He really is a tiny little man,  So glad he hasnt bought all of the TN politicians yet.

Agreed no asterix's need to be placed on any constitutional right.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, trevorst said:

What a far cry from the sh*tfest to the north of us in VA.  Btw I was at tricities yesterday and just went by to see Bloombergs crowd of 40 people... He really is a tiny little man,  So glad he hasnt bought all of the TN politicians yet.

Agreed no asterix's need to be placed on any constitutional right.

On the plus side, America tends to elect tall presidents. There was a study many years ago that hypothesized that humans associate large stature with leadership quality. Here's an article on it: https://www.ideasforleaders.com/ideas/potential-leaders-height-helps-but-so-does-being-smart

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

On the plus side, America tends to elect tall presidents. There was a study many years ago that hypothesized that humans associate large stature with leadership quality. Here's an article on it: https://www.ideasforleaders.com/ideas/potential-leaders-height-helps-but-so-does-being-smart

POTENTIAL LEADERS: HEIGHT HELPS BUT SO DOES BEING SMART

You don't really have to read past that in that article. ;)

On 2/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, TomInMN said:

When was that, exactly? And what's your benchmark for "fine"?

Anytime from the 1700's on up, until the Liberals started getting their agenda cranked up.

"fine" is in the dictionary.

If you want to water down the 2A to your ideal, get Congress to pass it, get the States to ratify it, & you're in business. Vote Bloomberg or any of the other ultra Libs in, & they will certainly give it their best shot.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, DaveTN said:

POTENTIAL LEADERS: HEIGHT HELPS BUT SO DOES BEING SMART

You don't really have to read past that in that article. ;)

I've known lots of dumb leaders in my 59 years on this earth. Many of them were tall - which is subjective since I'm 6'4" tall myself.