Big News

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I've known lots of dumb leaders in my 59 years on this earth. Many of them were tall - which is subjective since I'm 6'4" tall myself.

I am 6'3", make you smarter than me or dumber than me? ;):bowrofl:

• Haha 1

I can see both sides of all this who ha.... I remember when I had a full service gun shop more than a couple times a person would come in to get his gun repaired and cover me with the barrel a few times. How many times did I feel like jumping over the counter , rip the gun out of the AH's hands and smack him up side the head with it.  This sort of anger has tainted my other wise unbiased reasoning. What sort of puts me all in for CC is that if one liberal reads TN has CC and that is the deciding factor for them NOT to move here...... well then, this is a no brainer.  Anger management has been achieved!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another point on training: you can force people to attend, but you can't make them retain or utilize the information.

Conversely, if some one is concerned and motivated enough to seek training on their own, it is more likely to stick with them.

• Like 2
On 2/29/2020 at 8:45 AM, 300winmag said:

Mississippi has constitutional carry, a concealed license without training, and an actual enhanced license (not like the TN enhanced) where you can carry on school and college property legally.  I have yet to hear of many problems out of good people there.

I hope the politicians and gun organizations can get behind that kind of system in TN this year.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Kentucky. They have constitutional carry. Somehow I’ve so far managed to avoid the constant hail of gunfire this lack of control supposedly brings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
27 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in Kentucky. They have constitutional carry. Somehow I’ve so far managed to avoid the constant hail of gunfire this lack of control supposedly brings.

They have always kinda had it. I'm from there, and getting ready to go back. Open carry without a permit has been legal at least going back to my high school days. So, most of the killin' should have happened over the years. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

They have always kinda had it. I'm from there, and getting ready to go back. Open carry without a permit has been legal at least going back to my high school days. So, most of the killin' should have happened over the years. 

Say it ain't so, Mike! You leaving us??!!?

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Say it ain't so, Mike! You leaving us??!!?

Probably not leaving TGO. Just headed up the road a little. I'm done with Nashville, and done working. Gonna make ammo and sawdust.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 8
12 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Probably not leaving TGO. Just headed up the road a little. I'm done with Nashville, and done working. Gonna make ammo and sawdust.

Are you joining the ranks of us old retired guys? Good for you.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I'm happy for you Mike. Unfortunately, I must work until I croak or the VA finally settles my claim. :( 

On 2/27/2020 at 10:51 PM, Grayfox54 said:

On the local Channel 3 (CBS) TV news they ran video of a press conference by the Memphis Police Chief where he stressed what a bad idea this is. A few pics of Gov. Lee, but no audio or video of him explaining why he backed it. Think they might be just a bit bias? 

If this does pass, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if gun related crimes and accidental shootings went up in Memphis. After all, that city is ground zero for stupid in this state. :mad:

Why, are Criminals more prone to crime because of laws?

• Like 2
On 2/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, TomInMN said:

If your carry requires training, you're not carrying under Constitutional carry.

I'm less concerned about criminals (I totally agree that they'll do what they want regardless.) than I am about the average well-meaning but totally irresponsible person, who really has no business carrying, having zero bar to meet in order to carry a gun.

I'm comfortable having some admin that keeps the impressively lazy and willfully irresponsible from being entitled to have a gun in my space.

Like most of the folks behind the wheel of a car or pick up?

• Like 1
On 2/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

they can keep stupid people from carrying a gun in public areas that they were too cheap, too dumb, or too inaccurate to legally do when a carry permit was required....im for the enhanced penalties on theft I am not at all for permitless carry.  I mean if you can't hit a 7yd target and pass a test where they pretty much give you the answers....do you really need to be hip holstering it at wally world?

Move to Chicago, you will fit right in!

• Like 1
On 2/28/2020 at 7:15 PM, Grayfox54 said:

For the record. I hope it does pass. I support any law that confirms our Constitutional rights.

However, you guys who live in the boonies and smaller towns can't even fathom the level of irresponsibility, incompetence, ignorance and downright stupidity that is Memphis. I suspect Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville are the same.  When the law passes, and I'm sure it will, the learning curve for idiots is gonna be both steep and deadly. I fear a lot of mistakes will be made. Innocent people may die. And the antis will most assuredly be watching.  

I truly do hope that my fellow Tennesseans will prove my lack of faith to be wrong. Time will tell. 

See anything like that in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky or Mississippi when they passed theirs?

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, mikegideon said:

This is what most people don't get, an armed society is a polite society.  Every State that touches Tennessee except that Liberal bastion of Georgia has had permitless open carry for decades...

• Like 1
On 3/1/2020 at 12:44 PM, xtriggerman said:

I can see both sides of all this who ha.... I remember when I had a full service gun shop more than a couple times a person would come in to get his gun repaired and cover me with the barrel a few times. How many times did I feel like jumping over the counter , rip the gun out of the AH's hands and smack him up side the head with it.  This sort of anger has tainted my other wise unbiased reasoning. What sort of puts me all in for CC is that if one liberal reads TN has CC and that is the deciding factor for them NOT to move here...... well then, this is a no brainer.  Anger management has been achieved!

Tennessee JUST achieved CC last year with the new Holt bill, prior to that it was Handgun Carry, open or concealed.

5 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

Bill is up in Senate Judiciary at 3:00 PM tomorrow, in House Constitutional Protections at 4:30 PM.  This train has left the Station.

Any idea when it will go to the floor for a vote?

6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Any idea when it will go to the floor for a vote?

Within next three weeks I would imagine, election year you know, they want to holler sine die as soon as possible to start grifting funds for their campaigns. They want this done and behind them prior to the battle over the budget, and as the Gov. has expressed his approval, it will run quick, might even be two weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Once again, let me state for the record that I do want this law to pass.  I do think its a step in the right direction. 

My concern is not about "wild west" or "blood in the streets" scenarios. My concern is about untrained idiots walking around with guns. We all know that one guy who is an accident just waiting to happen. Personally I wouldn't care to be in line at the grocery store behind Grandma who's fumbling around in her purse totally unaware that her lipstick or ink pen has gotten stuck in the trigger guard of her gun. Or the moron who just can't stop fondling the gun in his pocket. Negligent discharges worry me a lot more than bad guys. You can't fix stupid and the large cities are drowning  in it. 

• Like 1