Tn allowing residents to carry guns without permits new bill

ted

Have you guys noticed how the TN news media is rounding up everyone, in gov, to get on camera and be against this bill. They are wringing their hands and crying the sky will be falling if this bill becomes law in TN. Big city Police Chiefs, mayors, counsel people, and on and on, are coming out against this legislation.  

These guys don't look at facts when saying these things. About 99.5% of people will not be, and never will be a danger to the authorities. The, probably less than 1 %  of the population (criminals), that will be dangerous, already are dangerous. That fact will have no bearing whether this bill passes or not, although more people concealed carrying and  the longer sentencing, for gun crimes, will "hopefully" have a marginal deterrent effect, if they (Gov) keep them in the pen. However judging from the recent past, the Gov is paroling murderers now, because they say it cost too much money to keep them incrassated. 

Many politicians don't like the populist to have guns, because they know the armed populist can't be dominated, and that fact scars them. Sure there are a fringe element of society, that is dangerous, but we have that now even though this bill is not law now. 

Sad but we liven in a society where our political leaders has allowed a minute amount of the populist, is allowed to dictate  policy for the masses. This is a "possibly" result of dumbing down, don't think on you own segment of society, and telling people the Gov is gong to take care of your every need. As a result the masses no longer have the stomach for taking responsibility for their own safety and security. They have believed the lie. Just ask many of the victims of our society. 

Guys, as many here know that one's personal safety is each individual's responsibility. It can get dirty, and many don't have the desire to go there. Just look at the talking heads on TV, and comments about the recent church shooting in Texas. That film is the most convincing film that has ever been shown, which confirms the argument that the only thing that can stop a mad, intent on evil man, with a gun, is  a good guy with a gun.  Hard fact, but so! 

I pray I never will be forced to go there, but if I do, pray I, or some good guy around me, will be up to the challenge. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, pop pop said:

Guys, as many here know that one's personal safety is each individual's responsibility.

You are so right Pop Pop. The police cars may have Serve and Protect on them, but those guns they have are to keep their A$$es safe. If the deputy was sitting at the county courthouse with his car running it would take him a minimum of 30 minutes to get to my house. A .40 cal bullet travels about 1100 feet per second. You do the math. They may come to my house after the fact and draw a chalkline around my body and put police keep out tape around the scene, but they can't protect me and my family unless they plan on living with us 24/7. It is each of our duty to protect our Castle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm as right wing as anyone here. But I still would rather see anyone carrying to go through a class.If you're responsible enough to carry you should be responsible enough to find out what to do in an emergency. Shoot/no shoot, whats behind the recipient of a well placed bullet,  what to do after an incident  are just a few of the things a carrier needs to know.

• Like 1

The dangerous people already carry illegally, honorable people already have a permit to carry and do so, the others are victims/cannon fodder and don’t care.

nothing changes, only easier for the law abiding which is a good thing

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Swang said:

The dangerous people already carry illegally, honorable people already have a permit to carry and do so, the others are victims/cannon fodder and don’t care.

nothing changes, only easier for the law abiding which is a good thing

Well said and plus 1! Hoping it passes. Notice received today that bill is in Senate hearing. Sent an email to members urging to support. IMO with the nation wide all out assault on the 2nd Amendment going on at local, state and federal levels it will be great for Tennessee to strengthen it's law abiding citizens 2nd Amendment rights instead of doing nothing and standing pat. We are fortunate at this point that Virginia did not totally fall with the postponement of it's assault weapon ban legislation. Elections have consequences and now the gun owners of TN can win one and take advantage of having elected a majority of pro 2nd Amendment representatives.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Ray Z said:

I'm as right wing as anyone here. But I still would rather see anyone carrying to go through a class.If you're responsible enough to carry you should be responsible enough to find out what to do in an emergency. Shoot/no shoot, whats behind the recipient of a well placed bullet,  what to do after an incident  are just a few of the things a carrier needs to know.

You may not be as conservative on this as you think.   While I agree a responsible person will aim to understand the things you described, there is a huge difference in a responsible person making themselves educated and the state putting you through a mandated course of curriculum, a tax, and a selection criteria before you can exercise your consitutional rights.  If clearly enumerated rights are subject to the 3 things above, what about all other rights, enumerated, implied, or simply by divine consent?  When is the next course on what I can freely express under my first amendment rights?

a class will not make anyone safer, administrative handling needs to be engrained. I have seen folks in a class that had no idea how to even field strip their gun and lack any gun etiquette. For me this was taught by my father and continually reinforced as I matured.  I Think as a society we lack these “hand me downs” as I see cooking dinner and “moms good recipes” going by the wayside.

need to restore the family unit something liberals seem to be against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The more I read about this the more I am against it.  I am not pleased that this will be written as a defence to being armed, it should not be a crime to carry in this state, period.  If you are prohibited, then it should be a crime.  Also, if my kids from out of state come to visit, they will still be arrested if they carry, WTF?  If they pass this, it will be a cold day in hell before they pass an actual Constitutional Carry law.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Omega said:

The more I read about this the more I am against it.  I am not pleased that this will be written as a defence to being armed, it should not be a crime to carry in this state, period.  If you are prohibited, then it should be a crime.  Also, if my kids from out of state come to visit, they will still be arrested if they carry, WTF?  If they pass this, it will be a cold day in hell before they pass an actual Constitutional Carry law.

I’m coming to the same conclusion. It leaves intact the baseline that carrying a gun is a crime and only creates a narrow defense to prosecution. This is a bad bill. 

I can support incremental steps, but I’m now very unsure if this is an actual improvement. 

Turns out this bill is NOT a permit less concealed carry legislation bill. It is another bill just to increase penalties for gun crimes, "mostly", as it is written now. Another smoke and mirrors bill skirting the real issue of one odes not need a permit to carry a concealed firearm in TN.  This bill is no such bill. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

People pushing this have another agenda!

Yep and what might that be?? Only they know because we are too ignorant to understand it. The way I read the 2nd amendment it says I, we have the right to own, carry, use arms and the associated items like ammo, magazines, etc. and it shall not be infringed. It doesn't say that the state of Fed gov't will send us thru a class and take our money so we can have what the 2nd says we already should have. I believe Swang said it best, his father taught him gun safety. Kind of like we need to teach our children about history, the Bible and other things and not leave it to the government. Teach them good work ethics, they learn it from watching Mom & Dad work everyday.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

The way I read the 2nd amendment it says I, we have the right to own, carry, use arms and the associated items like ammo, magazines, etc. and it shall not be infringed.

and most important, to fight government tyranny and self protection !!!

and the 2nd does not say a thing about how many of anything, how short, what caliber or any restriction of any kind!!!

• Like 1

I have my doubts about this bill too. As others have pointed out, it falls way short. But, if this is all we can get, so be it.

I will contact my Senator and Representative and push for to amend this into true Constitutional Carry. I strongly suggest you do too. 

• Like 1

True constitutional carry would be allowing anyone that hasn’t lost their gun rights to carry, government certified training or not.

Some of you don’t like the fact that they restricted this to Tennessee residents only but want to add the restriction of government certified training. That line of thinking doesn’t make sense when I see it coming from people that have stated in the past “Shall not be infringed”.

I mean let’s face it; the term Constitutional Carry is simply a feel-good term. It’s State Constitutional Carry.

As I said in the other thread; I support training 100%. But that’s the personal responsibility of the gun owner. I’m a law and order type and make no bones about it, I also believe in personal responsibility. We have plenty of laws in place that keep people from getting shot. A person would need to violate one of them to injure or kill someone with a firearm.

• Like 3
On 3/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, Ray Z said:

Here comes one of my long winded posts with a pointed ending

Long ago when Willy Clinton got into office [ and to date I don't know how ] and everybody was afraid they weren't going to be able to buy a handgun and they were buying up any handgun they could put their hands on [ I remember a little old lady that could just about see over the counter at the local indoor range ] buying a handgun. At the time you got a free hour to shoot on the range and a couple of boxes of ammo. The salesman behind the counter asked her if she had any questions. She said " only one, where do you put the bullets in?"

The reason little old lady's usually limp is because they've got a bad hip, not because they shot themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

Many years ago at the old Shelby County range before it got closed, I was pretty good friends with the Rangemaster. I came in one day and he said "Ya gotta see this!" He went on to explain how a private instructor had brought out a group to shoot for handgun permit qualification. This one small, older woman had never shot a handgun before, but she had bought one and paid for the class to get her permit. The COF was a possible 100 points, you needed a score of 70 to pass. He showed me the target, which he had saved.  The lady had a total score of 7.  Completely missed the target 47 out of 50 shots.  :eek:

Will it  legally allow me to not see no gun signs?

A step in the right direction, perhaps.

I don't think it help with reciprocity for non licensed residents.

Based on what I think I know, it isn't likely this or any changes will actually make a measureable number of people start carrying their guns.

Maybe use training / continuing ed as a carrot...show proof, get to carry in schools, a little more, state .gov facilities?

25 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Maybe use training / continuing ed as a carrot...show proof, get to carry in schools, a little more, state .gov facilities?

I don’t think training will influence school carry.  Many parents won’t stand for it, and I think that’s what the problem is now. Many of them are blinded by their hate of guns. They don’t want anyone, including trained people around their kids with a gun. That is until there is a shooting and their kid was one of the ones that died during the wait for the 2nd gun to show up.

They just can’t grasp the fact that signs and laws don’t stop killers.

• Like 1