Shelby County DA speaks out against governor’s permitless gun plan

On 2/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, DaveTN said:

I know you don’t believe this, but I doubt many cops have stopped people simply because they have a firearm. Other activities or factors coupled with a gun could lead to a stop.

However, we could argue probable cause or reasonable suspicion all day long, the bottom line is the Officer will articulate it in court if necessary or he won’t, and a Judge will rule.

A Police Officer should never need to violate someone’s Constitutional rights to do their job. Would you and I agree on a case by case basis if that had occurred? Of course not.

Where I eat lunch most every day I am in town, (Jackson, Bar-b-Que+meat and three)  there are State Police officers, Sheriff's Department, JPD and a lot of times the whole dang Marshal's group in there.  Several open carriers on any given day, I always carry  concealed but will take my jacket off and hang it on the chair.  None of them have ever looked up from their plates.

• Like 2

"Without permits, officers won’t be able to differentiate between someone who can legally carry a gun and someone who can’t, Weirich said"

I had a conversation last time (2016) this was up, at the same restaurant, about 10 Sheriff's were eating lunch after some mandatory training at the TBI downtown Jackson.  I knew most of them and stopped by to speak to them and ask their opinions  My Madison County guy (Former TBI) was virulently opposed, said he wanted to know when his guys rolled up in Lincoln Courts and saw a guy holding a gun he needed to know if he had a permit, if he was legal...

I asked how he would know without contact and asking to see the permit if they were legal to have the weapon?  He said they knew most of the gang member and bad guys there, and I opined if he already knew he most likely did not need to ask about a permit, but just in case it was new guy they did not know, wouldn't his guys have to ask to see the permit?

He was not happy with my question.

12 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

This bill as written I think will pretty much guarantee an increase in officer contacts with citizens. 

I think it will be basically car carry, letting you take it with you.

Not enough police out there to increase contact, except for traffic stops I have not had an officer contact in 20 years.  If you are not acting like a thug I don't expect LE to be manhandling common folk going about their business armed.

• Like 1