Glock 44 for the Missus?

ReeferMac

Anyone try out that new Glock 44 in .22 LR?

My wife owns a Ruger 9mm (LC9s) she does not carry, shoot, or ever use, because it's too 'snappy' for her wrists. We've tried larger frame guns (I carrySW M&P 9C), went through the rental rack at the local store (including .380 pistols), just doesn't like it. Suffers from RSD/Carpal Tunnel type pains from work. Enjoy's shooting. Always takes a turn with the .22 rifles.

The Glock brand has an impeccable reputation for good reason, I've shot them. I'm contemplating suggesting my wife get one for carry, if she's not going to carry the Ruger she bought years ago. Yes, granted, it IS a 22, but it's better than the knife she carry's? And the perp on the other end isn't going to measure the barrel diameter, they're just going to see their 'victim' put a Glock in their face. Given the current direction of things, I'd rather her carry a .22 Glock in her purse than nothing?

We're both permitted in TN, don't travel much out of state.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Purchased one a couple of months ago along with the 380 EZ and 9 EZ because my wife is starting with arthritis in her hands. She had to give up playing piano which was a passion. She and I went to the range with all 3. She shot the EZs first and really liked them. Then she shot 10 rounds in the G44, looked at me and said this is the one. 

Her shot placement with CCI Stingers is impeccable with this gun. She has about 500 rounds through it and loves shooting it. That's not been the case with other guns as in her words "they hurt".  Watching her confidence go up is a big win. She's never been afraid of guns, just doesn't like the pain in her hands. 

Ive heard all the arguments about best caliber to carry etc etc. But I know one thing, if you don't practice and won't carry because "it hurts" then caliber size means nothing. Plus now we have date time at the range. Win, win all around. 

• Like 5

My wife has a similar situation. But more Carpal issues than anything else. Her pistol is a Smith 317 with a CT grip. I've tried to change her to a 351PD and change the CT grip, but she says even the 22lr vs the 22 Mag is too much. So it's a 416 for her.

I haven't gotten her to go with me in quite a while, but next time I want to try her with the Glock killer...the Taurus TX22. lol

Edited by hipower

Just make sure they both practice for FTF's as a .22 round ain't that reliable. My wife carries a Ruger SR22 w/ 11 rounds of mini mag solid 40 grain. I have blue aluminum dummy rounds I used in her training with the pistol to represent an FTF scenario. Now she instinctively racks the slide when she gets a click/no bang during our practice session's at the club.

I tried to get her to carry a Beretta 81 in .32ACP but even that was too snappy for her. I relented and gave her my SR22 so at least she is armed with something better than a stupid spray that might not work.

Bill

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, BCR#1 said:

Just make sure they both practice for FTF's as a .22 round ain't that reliable. My wife carries a Ruger SR22 w/ 11 rounds of mini mag solid 40 grain. I have blue aluminum dummy rounds I used in her training with the pistol to represent an FTF scenario. Now she instinctively racks the slide when she gets a click/no bang during our practice session's at the club.

I tried to get her to carry a Beretta 81 in .32ACP but even that was too snappy for her. I relented and gave her my SR22 so at least she is armed with something better than a stupid spray that might not work.

Bill

She definitely trains for this. She had a Walther 22 so had worked on that. But was way out of practice. Getting back in tune now. 

Her favorite thing now is 6 to the chest then 4  (2 double taps) to the face. She's 5'4" and I'm 6'3"  but I'm beginning to think if in a gun fight I'm getting behind her. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

She definitely trains for this. She had a Walther 22 so had worked on that. But was way out of practice. Getting back in tune now. 

Her favorite thing now is 6 to the chest then 4  (2 double taps) to the face. She's 5'4" and I'm 6'3"  but I'm beginning to think if in a gun fight I'm getting behind her.

Like for volley fire?

• Moderators

Tim at MAC had a lot of problems with his. I know he’s not alone in that. Taurus did a much better job with their TX-22, and it carries 6 more rounds per mag.  .22 not withstanding, it’s not a gun I would even consider for self defense. I would only get it if I was married to the Glock platform and wanted a tool for failure drills. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Tim at MAC had a lot of problems with his. I know he’s not alone in that. Taurus did a much better job with their TX-22, and it carries 6 more rounds per mag.  .22 not withstanding, it’s not a gun I would even consider for self defense. I would only get it if I was married to the Glock platform and wanted a tool for failure drills. 

Between my wife and myself we have nearly 900 rounds through "hers"and have not had a single FTF or FTE. Only maybe 3 instances of the slide failing to lock back on an empty mag.  We are only shooting CCI mini mags and Stinger ammo. Every gun is different and I'm a big proponent of putting a lot of rounds down range of the ammo we are carrying every day. 

• Like 3

If she will shoot it and carry it, then that's the gun for her. :up:

I would suggest you try something in .32 caliber. Either a .32acp pistol or one of the revolvers in .32 Long, H&R mag or ,327 Federal. My wife absolutely loved her S&W Model 30 in .32 Long. 

IDK about the Glock. I've seen several reports of slides cracking and other problems. However, there are lots of small, easy to carry .22s out there. Just let her pick what she likes. ;)

19 hours ago, hipower said:

My wife has a similar situation. But more Carpal issues than anything else. Her pistol is a Smith 416 with a CT grip. I've tried to change her to a 351PD and change the CT grip, but she says even the 22lr vs the 22 Mag is too much. So it's a 416 for her.

I haven't gotten her to go with me in quite a while, but next time I want to try her with the Glock killer...the Taurus TX22. lol

What is a 416?

Thanks for all the ideas and info. Her father used to shoot competition with a Ruger .22 MkIII I think? Carrys a .22Mag nowadays (he's too old for his .45s). She likes the size/form/factor of her Ruger, but yeah, won't carry because of Owweee... I just don't like where the worlds headed these days, and something is better than nothing, IMHO. I think I just found an excuse to go to the gun store! 😁

I keep a stock of .22 LR on hand b/c we have a couple rifles. Copper plated HP mostly (and some snake charmers). I'd rather not get another round to inventory? Rather find some extended mags? I mean, jeeze, if you're going to pack a .22, least you could do is gimme a 25 rd mag to dump while running to get a real gun? LOL!

Thanks again.

Edited by ReeferMac

I saw the MAC video questioning the reliability after I had preordered my Glock 44.  For me, any price difference between it and the Taurus was worth it since it works with my Glock holsters etc and I want my wife and son to be able to shoot it.  I am very happy to report that mine has worked just fine with all the ammo I have tried, including  the cheapest bulk Remington and Federal. MAC said something about having to slingshot the slide instead of using the slide release.  I don't know if that makes a difference but that's how I manipulate a pistol anyway.  

Edited by JReedEsq
15 hours ago, Pickaroon said:

What is a 416?

The S&W 317 is a 10 shot 22lr 2" SS revolver. The 351 PD is the same size in a blue/black finish as a 9 round 22 winmag revolver.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I have a G44 that had 3 malfunctions early on, but aside from those, has functioned perfectly for over 600 rounds.

The Glock Talk forums have several threads on the G44, there have been a few people with issues, lots of people re-hashing the problem guns from a couple YouTube videos, and quite a few people that have had minimal or no issues.

It would suck to be the guy that gets one of the few bad ones, though.

5 hours ago, hipower said:

The S&W 416 is a 10 shot 22lr 2" SS revolver. The 351 PD is the same size in a blue/black finish as a 9 round 22 winmag revolver.

Hipower when you get a chance post a pic if possible. Me ,google ,and S&W have never heard of a model 416

8 hours ago, pop pop said:

If a 22 is all she can carry, let her go for it. 

I agree. That may be my strategy to pick up a Ruger LCP .22😎. “ I love you so much I just bought you this cute little pistol”.

Edited by Pickaroon