Can we now carry at the DMV?

Last year when I added a motorcycle endorsement (and every time before) the door had all kinds of signs and gun busters saying you can't carry at the DMV.  Last week I went to the DMV for my son's Learner's Permit and none of that signage was there and the printed out letters saying the same thing were no longer there.  

Did something change that makes CCW legal at the DMV?

7 minutes ago, battleop said:

Last year when I added a motorcycle endorsement (and every time before) the door had all kinds of signs and gun busters saying you can't carry at the DMV.  Last week I went to the DMV for my son's Learner's Permit and none of that signage was there and the printed out letters saying the same thing were no longer there.  

Did something change that makes CCW legal at the DMV?

Don’t know. But that’s interesting to be sure. 

14 hours ago, chances R said:

if it is not posted, then one can carry...exceptions jails, courts, fed buildings, schools, post office, tva camp grounds, properly posted places, tva / corps of engineer areas around dams.  May have left something out.

As it is now labeled as the department of homeland security, I would assume it is a "federal" building?

12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

As it is now labeled as the department of homeland security, I would assume it is a "federal" building?

it is listed under the tn.gov website as the TN dept  of homeland security,  As before, it was posted; if it is not now, see no reason one could not carry IMO.  Nothing in the ECP course says otherwise.  Note that the state capitol has postings in some places and not in others.  So it is not just because it is a state building.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Good question. It's the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security. Is that under Federal Homeland Security?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Good question. It's the Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security. Is that under Federal Homeland Security?

TN department, consists of Dept of Safety, Military Dept, These include THP, TBI , NG , and TEMA

11 minutes ago, Miltech said:

TN department, consists of Dept of Safety, Military Dept, These include THP, TBI , NG , and TEMA

To add, there is no “DMV” in Tennessee.  Y’all yankees need to get with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Everytime I see those 3 letters I have flashbacks of chest hair, gold chains, and a wife beater from parking wars.

And that's from the women 😳

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Haha 3

It was DMV or MVD in most states.  I’ve never seen whatever the hell its called here anywhere else.  And I’ve never had to go to different places to register my car vs get a license until TN.  I’ve also never been turned away from either because they had given out all the tickets for the day.  Lastly, I’ve never had anyone grab my CCW from another state and refuse to give it back because I applied for my carry permit here. 

While I’m ranting, I’ve never had a state agency insert themselves into a firearm background check process.  That’s between the ATF and me, not whatever the TBI is or thinks they are.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, asu174 said:

It was DMV or MVD in most states.  I’ve never seen whatever the hell its called here anywhere else.  And I’ve never had to go to different places to register my car vs get a license until TN.  I’ve also never been turned away from either because they had given out all the tickets for the day.  Lastly, I’ve never had anyone grab my CCW from another state and refuse to give it back because I applied for my carry permit here. 

While I’m ranting, I’ve never had a state agency insert themselves into a firearm background check process.  That’s between the ATF and me, not whatever the TBI is or thinks they are.

FWIW that first paragraph is regional. Born and raised in the same county I reside in today and I've never encountered any of that. 

45 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

FWIW that first paragraph is regional. Born and raised in the same county I reside in today and I've never encountered any of that. 

Yeah, figured it was ####ty Davidson.

21 hours ago, DaveTN said:

TN Department of Homeland Security and Homeland Security are completely separate state and federal agencies.    I know some people that work for the Federal Homeland Security and they wish the state of TN came up with their own name because they get sick and tired of getting calls about drivers licenses and such and then get cussed out because they tell them they are separate. 

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Never lived anywhere but TN or GA but go ahead with your assumptions...   Just remember the first three letters.

• Haha 1
On 3/2/2020 at 6:41 AM, DWARREN123 said:

Call them and ask before doing something that may be very wrong.

I just went to the side of caution and didn't carry while I was there.    Just struck me as odd that the signage had changed since it was very obvious in the past.

23 hours ago, asu174 said:

And you get charged an extra $10 to purchase a firearm, most other states  uses the Feds NCIC and they don't charge you $10.