All our Nashville area members ok?

Prayers for sure for all involved. You know there are several crazy things with this tornado, how far it went and what day. Exactly 1 year ago 23 were killed on 3-3-19 in Lee county, Alabama and in 1998 on super Tuesday it hit Nashville at 5 points.  Heard a bit ago death toll now at 22 with 16 of them in Putnam county where Cookeville is located. We live about 30 miles north and had a little bad stuff, but no damage. Ya'll hug your loved ones a little tighter tonight if they are in arms reach, if across the country or globe call them and tell them you Love them. Life is just 1 breath away and we aren't guaranteed our next one. Stay safe!!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

What a disaster.....seems like is was on the ground a really long time. Prayers to all effected.

I hear a man from the National Weather Service said that the tornado first landed right at the Tennessee River in West Tennessee and according to their calculations the twister was actually on the ground for 200 miles as it traveled to Cookeville in Putnam County. They said they are getting reports of damage on the entire path it took. 

I stood on my front porch with SIL and Daughter at 2 AM this morning and we could hear it pass within 2 miles of the houses here and had to back away a little to prevent getting hit by quarter size hail as it passed by. No damage here and SIL is down the road in Carthage helping people from his church cut trees off about 20 houses.  Prayers to all that have suffered loss and to the families with loss of life.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I hear a man from the National Weather Service said that the tornado first landed right at the Tennessee River in West Tennessee and according to their calculations the twister was actually on the ground for 200 miles as it traveled to Cookeville in Putnam County. They said they are getting reports of damage on the entire path it took. 

I stood on my front porch with SIL and Daughter at 2 AM this morning and we could hear it pass within 2 miles of the houses here and had to back away a little to prevent getting hit by quarter size hail as it passed by. No damage here and SIL is down the road in Carthage helping people from his church cut trees off about 20 houses.  Prayers to all that have suffered loss and to the families with loss of life.

Glad to hear you're o.k., Doug.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Glad to hear you're o.k., Doug.

Thanks Greg. For a little while last night I was having my doubts which way that monster was going and it missed us by about 2 miles but we could hear it and got the hail from it and some wind, not as much as I would have expected after seeing all the damage it produced!

• Like 1

So, this is what I got to behold in the aftermath at 2am.  I'm considering myself quite fortunate and am not about to complain over the few inconveniences when so many have been put out or worse.

spacer.png

spacer.png                spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

So, this is what I got to behold in the aftermath at 2am.  I'm considering myself quite fortunate and am not about to complain over the few inconveniences when so many have been put out or worse.

spacer.png

spacer.png                spacer.png

spacer.png

Glad you're ok. I may know someone in the damaged apartment complex. A former coworker said the roof got peeled off his apartment and his truck got smashed, but they're ok and staying with friends until it gets sorted out. 

We live just south of I40 about 1/2 mile in Mt Juliet.

Daughter woke us at the peak, we went outside and could hear the thing go by just north of I40 about 1/2 mile. Something the hear from a mile away. We are OK, my son lives in Tuckers Cross Roads, the thing went between him and I40, missed his place by 100 yards with no damage, damn scary.  All our friends we know out here are OK. Thank God for his blessings every day, you just dont when he will call you.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Thanks Greg. For a little while last night I was having my doubts which way that monster was going and it missed us by about 2 miles but we could hear it and got the hail from it and some wind, not as much as I would have expected after seeing all the damage it produced!

How much damage did Smith County get? I see their schools are closed for the remainder of the week, but can’t find one thing about it on the news.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:08 PM, bersaguy said:

Doug, first off, glad you and your family ok. I apologize for not returning your call.

I was in Cookeville/Double Springs area yesterday and phone/cell service was a bit spotty at times there. I was able to see you called, but was just wasted last night and didn't call back. I'm very sorry.

I had family in that area. It was awful. Widely spaced homes, and especially the area around Echo Valley and Double Springs was just wiped off the map. I don't have numbers this morning, but last night rumors had 20 homes and businesses in a small are gone. There were many injuries and at least 2 deaths there. I think that number will be higher. Terrible doesn't get close to the destruction.

My family there was blessed. Some minor injuries, some requiring hospitilization, one serious that's touch and go at the moment.

During all this, I got online to find that a brother of ours here has had his home damaged. He lives in East Nash. I haven't been there yet, don't know if I can get to him. I won't tell his name yet openly, I haven't talked with him to see if he wants that. Some probably know already, but until I get the ok, I will not mention who.

Took mother-in-law food and flashlights around 5 this morning when we got home. She, like a lot of Donelson has no power. Some shingle damage, minor as far as we know, to her home. Some around her not so lucky The episcopal Church on McGavock Pike is destroyed. Many trees down. Several homes missing entire roof, one 3 story, has lost the top story I'm told.

Glad to be here. Glad most of family is ok. Happy for those of us who didn't receive damage or injury.

Praying for those who did.

Added 3/8/20  I got a chance to drive around the East side of the McGavock/Windemere Dr. area today. Much more damage than I knew of. A couple of several square blocks bad to total devestation. Many, many old trees down. Power restored to most of that area by around 4PM. But still many more needing power and help.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, hipower said:

Doug, first off, glad you and your family ok. I apologize for not returning your call.

I was in Cookeville/Double Springs area yesterday and phone/cell service was a bit spotty at times there. I was able to see you called, but was just wasted last night and didn't call back. I'm very sorry.

I had family in that area. It was awful. Widely spaced homes, and especially the area around Echo Valley and Double Springs was just wiped off the map. I don't have numbers this morning, but last night rumors had 20 homes and businesses in a small are gone. There were many injuries and at least 2 deaths there. I think that number will be higher. Terrible doesn't get close to the destruction.

My family there was blessed. Some minor injuries, some requiring hospitilization, one serious that's touch and go at the moment.

During all this, I got online to find that a brother of ours here has had his home damaged. He lives in East Nash. I haven't been there yet, don't know if I can get to him. I won't tell his name yet openly, I haven't talked with him to see if he wants that. Some probably know already, but until I get the ok, I will not mention who.

Took mother-in-law food and flashlights around 5 this morning when we got home. She, like a lot of Donelson has no power. Some shingle damage, minor as far as we know, to her home. Some around her not so lucky The episcopal Church on McGavock Pike is destroyed. Many trees down. Several homes missing entire roof, one 3 story, has lost the top story I'm told.

Glad to be here. Glad most of family is ok. Happy for those of us who didn't receive damage or injury.

Praying for those who did.

No problem Larry, I was just concerned that the area close to you house was in the path and I was just calling to make sure you and your wife were ok. Sorry to hear about Cookeville and all the carnage and loss of life in that area. Prayers going out for all effected. We dodged a real bullet here the other. SIL and Daughter and I stood out on front deck at about 2:20 am and had to back under the roof when quarter size hail covered the yard and we could hear tat monster moving about 1.5 to 2 miles north of us on it's way to Cookeville.

Prayers being sent to all affected!!! 

15 hours ago, gregintenn said:

How much damage did Smith County get? I see their schools are closed for the remainder of the week, but can’t find one thing about it on the news.

I am not sure Greg. I do know a lot of trees down and we were without power from 2AM till about 8:30 am and my SIL's preacher called him and ask for help cutting some trees off houses in Carthage and when they arrived with all the equipment they got turned away by authorities and told to come back today because they had not finished checking all the houses damaged for anyone injured of killed. The school closings are mostly because of power in some areas and trees and power poles on many of the county roads the school buses travel. My grandson's school is only 20 minutes from our house but there are trees all over that road. That's about all I know about it.

• Like 1

...and my apartment finally has power restored.  Thankful for the hard work by the electrical crews to bring it back after all the devastation in the area.  Also realize others aren't yet to this level and keeping them in my thoughts.

• Like 7