Eye Dominance Test

5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Knowledge. You don’t know what you don’t know and can’t compensate for a problem you’re not aware of the nature of. Folks just think they can’t shoot, not that there is a bio-mechanical reason  

This. 

Deerslayer, My explanation was answering Trekbike’s question. I was explaining for the non cross dominant people what cross dominant people are dealing with and why it is a problem and why it effects their shooting when it is an undiagnosed condition.

Just like I said in the earlier post once We determined the student was cross dominant and I showed him how to mitigate that condition he shot very well. But he had been dealing with this for 40 years and as of yet had not yet considered (nor even heard of ) the possibility that he was “aiming with the wrong eye”. 

If you are cross dominant and you have already figured it out then you are that far ahead of those who still cannot figure out why they seem to be doing all the mechanics right but are still not getting the results they want . It could be that they just have a cross dominant vision issue that has gone undetected and undiagnosed. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

My explanation was answering Trekbike’s question. I was explaining for the non cross dominant people what cross dominant people are dealing with and why it is a problem and why it effects their shooting when it is an undiagnosed condition.

@Cruel Hand Luke Not that it matters in this particular case for your explanation, I'm right handed but left eye dominant, but I can focus on the sights and the target without having to get my left eye behind the gun.  I consider myself a decent shot on stationary targets.    For moving  items like a Texas Star I do have a bit of trouble clearing them cleanly.   (I think I've tried with one eye closed but don't recall that it helped.  I may just need more practice time on one.)    So that's why I ask the question that if the person can focus on both the sights and the target at the same time, does it matter?    So would my trouble with rotating targets have anything to do with being cross dominant?

Edited by Trekbike
2 hours ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

This. 

Deerslayer, My explanation was answering Trekbike’s question. I was explaining for the non cross dominant people what cross dominant people are dealing with and why it is a problem and why it effects their shooting when it is an undiagnosed condition.

Just like I said in the earlier post once We determined the student was cross dominant and I showed him how to mitigate that condition he shot very well. But he had been dealing with this for 40 years and as of yet had not yet considered (nor even heard of ) the possibility that he was “aiming with the wrong eye”. 

If you are cross dominant and you have already figured it out then you are that far ahead of those who still cannot figure out why they seem to be doing all the mechanics right but are still not getting the results they want . It could be that they just have a cross dominant vision issue that has gone undetected and undiagnosed. 

Gotcha.  My bad on the confusion.  

I'm right handed but left eye dominant.  As a kid, I was not taught to shoot, just naturally took to it.  I shoot left handed with long guns and bow, but I just can't get used to a left handed rifle so cocking the rifle for a follow-up shot is a bit unorthodox.  I use my right hand, which leaves my trigger hand to support the rifle, to operate the bolt, but it had never caused any issues.  Until basic training, they asked all left handed people to raise their hands and issued each left handed person a brass deflector.  At the range, the hot brass was sticking to my arm and the Drill Instructor got mad because I didn't raise my hand.  Still got 38 out of 40, and that was due to a double feed.  

The problem some people have, is that whatever eye is more aligned to the sights initially tries to focus on the target, but then after just a split second, the dominant eye takes over trying to focus and shifts the sight picture ever so slightly, which is more magnified the further the target is.  At about that time, is when you are squeezing the trigger, so your shot is off.   Like it was said above, knowing is half the battle, then you can adapt by either switching hands, or by moving the correct eye behind the sights, whichever is more comfortable for you.

12 hours ago, Trekbike said:

@Cruel Hand Luke Not that it matters in this particular case for your explanation, I'm right handed but left eye dominant, but I can focus on the sights and the target without having to get my left eye behind the gun.  I consider myself a decent shot on stationary targets.    For moving  items like a Texas Star I do have a bit of trouble clearing them cleanly.   (I think I've tried with one eye closed but don't recall that it helped.  I may just need more practice time on one.)    So that's why I ask the question that if the person can focus on both the sights and the target at the same time, does it matter?    So would my trouble with rotating targets have anything to do with being cross dominant?

That's a tough one.....of course there are also a lot of non cross dominant people that have a hard time with rotating targets ....😉  

Adding a rotating mover to the equation we have now introduced another variable and I'd really need to see what you are doing and what kind of problem you are having. Sometimes it helps for the doctor to see the patient's symptoms in person.

Assuming we are talking about a Texas Star here ,one general thing that often helps is to be working the trigger in route to the next plate so that when you get to it the gun is firing. You don't want to get to it and then have to manipulate the trigger because by the time the gun fires the plate may have moved or you are more likely to jerk the trigger trying to make it fir "RIGHT NOW" before it moves again. 

56 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Assuming we are talking about a Texas Star here ,one general thing that often helps is to be working the trigger in route to the next plate so that when you get to it the gun is firing. You don't want to get to it and then have to manipulate the trigger because by the time the gun fires the plate may have moved or you are more likely to jerk the trigger trying to make it fir "RIGHT NOW" before it moves again. 

Thanks for the trigger advice!   I'll give it a try.    I'm hoping my trouble is just not enough time practicing with one.   I've only gotten to try it on two trips to my brother's range at this point.