Would you trade guns for a boat?

Hi guys I value your input. I found a nice fishing boat I would like, but more $$ than I have at the moment. If you were in a similar situation would you trade any guns for a boat? I like to fish and some of these guns haven't been fired in awhile. Just asking. Thanks for your free advice. Mac

Hard to say.  My understanding is guns and boats don’t mix from all the guns lost in “tragic boating accidents”.

Could be a variation on that theme.  Do boats hold their value as much as the guns you would consider trading?

Edited by Garufa
  • Moderators

I think that’s a question only you can answer. What would you get more enjoyment out of? Boats and guns do seem to share one similarity in that neither gets used as much as folks think they will when they get them and tend to spend a lot of time gathering dust. 

• Like 3

For some reason this reminded me of a story a good old boy from VA told me 15 or so years ago. He said he hunted fish. I said how do you do that. He said it takes a 12g and a loaf of bread. You climbs into a tree that over hangs the lake, breaks up the bread and throws it down into the lake. Waits for a few minutes then shoot both barrels into the lake, climbs down and starts collecting your catch as they float to the surface.

Same guy had raccoon hides nailed to his shed wall in a V formation like they were flying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a former boat mech, I SAY HELL NO. A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. A firearm you pay for 1 time and feed it ammo, shoot things to eat for pennys. Where a boat will cost you WAY MORE to not catch a fish to eat.

Did I say HELL NO!!!

O yea HELL NO!!!

Fish from the bank like I do.

The question doesn’t seem to be whether he’s better off with guns or a boat but rather how best to pay for the boat.  Best case would be to pay cash for the boat, but if that’s not an option then I’d trade guns that would otherwise be collecting dust before I’d take out a loan to buy the boat. 

Edited by i1afli
  • Like 1

i1afli, I believe you understand. I have multiple copies of the same brand/style of guns. I was kind of collecting them to pass along to my grand-kids, but some of them have a pretty good collection going. Like my wife said when she found out I had 3 of a particular rifle, she said " how many of those does 1 man need", my reply was as many as I want. Then it gets me to thinking, some of those guns haven't seen the light of day in a few years. Red333, I appreciate your comments, but I quit fishing on the bank about 50 years ago. I can't fish from the bank. I thought bust out another  thousand is what BOAT stood for. Although I have had many boats and never busted out a thousand for anything. Thanks guys

• Like 2

If you have a significant collection with several of the same model, do it.  If you have two guns to your name, no way.  Some guns may appreciate in value, but many won't.  The bottom line is if you will use the boat more than the guns collecting dust in your safe, go for it.  Turn something you don't use into something that you will enjoy.  

• Like 4
  • Admin Team

Life is really short. 

if it brings you joy, trade the guns.

They say you can’t buy happiness, but I bet the guy who said that never bought a jet ski. Or was the only guy on the lake on a glassy morning as the fog lifts. Or pulled kids from dawn to dusk on tubes with their friends. Or set out and watched land disappear over the horizon. Or whatever.

Have fun. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Hi guys I value your input. I found a nice fishing boat I would like, but more $$ than I have at the moment. If you were in a similar situation would you trade any guns for a boat? I like to fish and some of these guns haven't been fired in awhile. Just asking. Thanks for your free advice. Mac

If I would be getting a good value for the guns, and I felt the boat wouldn't be depreciating a lot, I'd at least consider it.

Basically, I wouldn't want to turn my guns into something worth essentially zero dollars (or soon to be so). I'd never trade guns for electronics, because they get to zero in a heck of a hurry.

Boats depreciate just like cars and other vehicles (excluding collector type vehicles).  If you feel like you will use the boat more than some of the guns in the safe, try selling those guns and use the $$ for the purchase of the boat, or buy the boat with some borrowed funds, sell the guns to pay of the loan.  

The break out another thousand for the boat is true, but the same can be said for some/most guns as they never seem to be "finished" in some form, needs a new scope, new stock, etc..  A cheap/inexpensive gun can still be double or triple the initial cost after it's customized to your liking.  

• Moderators

As stated already Life is Short!

If you enjoy fishing and need to sell/trade  a few guns to enjoy then why wouldn't you. It's sounds like you would still have plenty of guns left. You stated you were wanting to leave your guns to grandkids, maybe memories of fishing with you would mean as much or more to them than the guns. I know my time with my granddad on the lake is/was priceless. The Savage 22 lr bolt action he gave me is also priceless. It's actually the most valued gun in my collection. 

We all need to enjoy life more and worry less. In the end we are not taking any of these things with us. Best we enjoy our time while we can. 

• Like 2