SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Where was the panic when this took place ? It was called the Swine flu.  Why wasn't the sitting President criticized and blamed for it ?

This panic is purely political. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

My job just told us to work from home for the next few weeks. No end date has been specified. 

Those of us that have laptaps, have been told to take them home to tonight and make sure we can VPN in.  I don't think my company will send everyone home, but I think the ones that can work from, will be told to either tomorrow or Monday.

20 hours ago, Garufa said:

9 PM for the ET folks.

I wish he would shutup...I have not been more disappointed in him since the time he said "grab her by the p&ssy"....he really has no handle on the situation and hes too bull headed to listen to actual experts.  This reminds me of George Bush during Katrina.  and yes for all those who wonder i'll still vote for the bastard only because I cant fathom a better alternative.

10 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

i'll still vote for the bastard only because I cant fathom a better alternative.

I think that is where we all are. I haven’t seen too many that think he’s someone they would like to go have a beer with. Being a great President is different. ;)

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I think that is where we all are. I haven’t seen too many that think he’s someone they would like to go have a beer with. Being a great President is different. ;)

I don’t think Trump would have a beer with ANY of us.  We are not nearly rich or powerful enough to even begin to be on his radar.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Where was the panic when this took place ? It was called the Swine flu.  Why wasn't the sitting President criticized and blamed for it ?

This panic is purely political. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

It's not the death rate that makes COVID-19 a problem, it's the rate of proliferation, and the threat to overwhelm our existing systems. 

That's why all the measures being taken are to "flatten the curve" so the impact can be spread out over as much time as possible where resources can handle demand.  Your own quoted stats here are over a full year, this has the potential to pack its peak into weeks, like it is in other countries at the moment.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin Team
4 minutes ago, btq96r said:

It's not the death rate that makes COVID-19 the problem, it's the rate of proliferation, and the threat to overwhelm our existing systems. 

That's why all the measures being taken are to "flatten the curve" so the impact can be spread out over as much time as possible where resources can handle demand.  Your own quoted stats here are over a full year, this has the potential to pack its peak into weeks, like it is in other countries at the moment.

That's it.

There's not a hospital system on the planet that has the burst capacity to handle what's happening in Italy right now.

The only way you keep people from dying who otherwise wouldn't is to slow the rate of infections down - even if total numbers wind up being the same over time.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I just read a report on a study about how long the corona virus can "live" outside the body. Ignoring the debate of whether a virus is a living organism or not, it can live up to 3-days on stainless steel or plastic. It can live up to a day on cardboard, and 4-hours on copper. I then had a delivery at my house, and it made me wonder just where that cardboard box with the plastic tape has been. 

I'm not a germophobe but I certainly washed my hands really well after handling the box.

I just did the same. Had boxes show up from all over today

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Friends and coworkers are saying local grocery stores in Knoxville are packed. A guy I work with went to Costco and said the line went from the front of the store to the back.

Knox County’s first confirmed case was announced today.

I stopped by Kroger on the way home and yeah, way more packed than usual.  

Bottled water is being limited as it was at Costco last weekend.  

People are hitting the canned food aisle hard.

Didn’t check on T.P.  I still don’t understand why people have lost their damn minds over that.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Didn’t check on T.P.  I still don’t understand why people have lost their damn minds over that.

UpFhahu.jpg

• Haha 4
9 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

If your a plumber, and your specialty is installing bidets, you are set to make bank.  

I was thinking about that shortly after posting and how I could rig up a redneck bidet.  I do have a short length of hose and one of those old waterbed faucet adapters somewhere .

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I had planned to go to Kroger after work and heard about TP shortages, so I went during the day because we were OUT of TP.  Sure enough, Kroger was out.  The store was packed and it looked like everybody was buying canned goods, chips, and beer.  Maybe they were expecting to get furloughed.  I picked up a few things and stopped at Dollar General.  They had TP.  Mission accomplished.  This is getting stupid.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I was thinking about that shortly after posting and how I could rig up a redneck bidet.  I do have a short length of hose and one of those old waterbed faucet adapters somewhere .

Pressure washer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you don’t have TP, a wet washcloth will do. Then rinse it out in the sink. Water from the tap is drinkable.

BTW, just got a heads up that starting Monday, employees at my place of employment, will be working from home for a period of time.