SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I know that I certainly didn't vote for his personality.

I personally don’t vote to be their friend. I have been happy with everything. If you think one particular decision would have stopped this virus your nuts. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Knox County’s first confirmed case was announced today.

I stopped by Kroger on the way home and yeah, way more packed than usual.  

Bottled water is being limited as it was at Costco last weekend.  

People are hitting the canned food aisle hard.

Didn’t check on T.P.  I still don’t understand why people have lost their damn minds over that.

Was at sams club today and was a normal day, I could buy all the water and TP I wanted, typical crowd. No sanitizer noted.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Friends and coworkers are saying local grocery stores in Knoxville are packed. A guy I work with went to Costco and said the line went from the front of the store to the back.

I drove by about an hour before they opened and there were lines almost to the end of building in two directions. Went by other times during the day, craziest I've ever seen it there. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Swang said:

I personally don’t vote to be their friend. I have been happy with everything. If you think one particular decision would have stopped this virus your nuts. 

Trump has nothing to do with the virus and couldn't have stopped it.  Entire governments are failing to stop it.

What Trump has failed at is keeping his mouth shut, especially on Twitter, for the last four years.  I've enjoyed what he did for our economy, but this current epidemic is probably going to unravel a lot of that.  Or all of it.  And why that's his fault is because it's one thing to put your country first and negotiate deals heavily in their favor, but it's another thing entirely to do that and then rub the losers' noses in it repeatedly to satisfy your own ego.

Now that our economy is vulnerable and because we will be trailing behind the rest of the world in recovering from COVID-19, the rest of the world is going to have a head-start on rebooting their economies and will use it to work toward establishing an upper hand.  Because their business leaders and government leaders hate the guy and hate having been subjected to the taunts of a Poor Winner.

So, they're going to break it off in our economy's ass to teach Trump a lesson and try to keep him out of office for another term.

That's my prediction at least.  And I'm not anti-Trump.  I'm just Pro "STFU Dude".

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I was thinking about that shortly after posting and how I could rig up a redneck bidet.  I do have a short length of hose and one of those old waterbed faucet adapters somewhere .

I was watching the Kilcher's (whatever the show is called) this week and their son made one out of a pump sprayer.  Just cut the end off of the hose and use the pumper.  It was in an outhouse so the hose was just fixed to spray up out of the box. Pretty funny.

• Admin Team

The world is an awfully small place

You might have thought we would have learned that on September 11th.

In America, we’ve largely been conditioned to be pandemic voyeurs - maybe noticing as somewhere else suffers.

That’s about to change.

Look out for yourselves - but check in on that elderly neighbor. Maybe the older couple down the street whose kids have moved away. The single parent who’s just trying to make ends meet.

We’re in this together - that has always been - and always will be America’s greatest strength.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
53 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The world is an awfully small place

You might have thought we would have learned that on September 11th.

In America, we’ve largely been conditioned to be pandemic voyeurs - maybe noticing as somewhere else suffers.

That’s about to change.

Look out for yourselves - but check in on that elderly neighbor. Maybe the older couple down the street whose kids have moved away. The single parent who’s just trying to make ends meet.

We’re in this together - that has always been - and always will be America’s greatest strength.  

MacGyver - Thank you for re-centering what is important.  I appreciate you.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I hope my father and stepmother in Pennsylvania have someone that can see if they need help.  Phone calls and text messages only go so far as ways to keep up with their needs as things could get tight quick.

• Like 3

Can someone explain just what exactly the Fed did or tried to do with this $1.5 trillion. I keep reading they "injected" this into the market but I don't understand what this means or what it's supposed to accomplish. 

I voted for Trump and I think that more then gives me the right to gripe about his stupidity and bull-headedness.  That doesn't mean I would vote for Biden or Bernie.  Just saying he could quit being such a monumental ass and maybe listen to some people that actually know wtf they are doing.  A good example is when he ran Jim Mattis out.  Pure ignorance and stupidity on Trump's part.  You think our military is better off without him?  Or how about when he ran out Kelly or Kohn....the man could have really improved this country instead he only chooses to keep "yes men and women".  How about his fight with Jeff Bezos and his underhanded way of screwing them out of that defense contract just because he got his feelings hurt.  The smartest thing Trump could do now is to shut up and actually listen to the people that know about epidemics, health, and medicine.  Let the people with actual knowledge of how to handle this crisis do their job.  I am hoping this stock market crash has taught him that maybe his way isn't always the only or best way.  Time will tell.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Can someone explain just what exactly the Fed did or tried to do with this $1.5 trillion. I keep reading they "injected" this into the market but I don't understand what this means or what it's supposed to accomplish. 

Essentially, they're making sure the gears stay lubed.  "Injected" means the Fed, using their autonomous authority as a central bank, decided to make that money available to financial institutions as loans on very, very friendly terms, so they can in turn prevent bank runs.  The money is meant to let them continue to operate and make loans that businesses and individuals rely on, lest this medical crisis have a financial one (credit freeze like in 2008) pop up on top of it as things get tough.  The banks just get favorable terms on these loans because the theory is without those institutions being strong, the economy as a whole will be at risk.

It's not a silver arrow or anything, just a preemptive step, and a sign they see this as nothing to be lethargic about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, MacGyver said:

At the end of the day this is all that matters. It’s sad that it takes a natural disaster, an external threat or a pandemic to make us remember we are one.  Politics and politicians are the real viruses. 

• Like 14

Expectations or forecasts that the stock market will recover quickly once this virus is conquered are unrealistic.  Investors will reassess valuations based upon new earnings forecasts.  At this writing, the Dow is down 28% from its recent all time high.   It might appear to seem reasonable to assume that it would bounce back to its high level if a cure or other solution ended the pandemic.  BUT, there is no doubt that corporate earnings (and personal incomes) have been slashed.  Let's say corporate earnings are now going to be down by a third.  That would leave today's stock market at nearly the same relative valuation that it was at its peak a few weeks ago.  Until earnings recover (or more precisely, the anticipation of the perception of same) the market is not a screaming buy, just because it's down so much.  Expect sucker rallies.  A LOT has changed and it will take a lot of time to recover from this.  Be patient, don't panic, and buy the next big dips cautiously.  This group will certainly understand the concept of keeping some powder dry!

Full disclosure:  I was a stockbroker for 40 years from 1976 through 2016, with a brief timeout to get a law degree.  From KU, #1.......  Now, no March Madness. THAT's sad for this Jayhawk!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 3/12/2020 at 5:11 PM, Garufa said:

Knox County’s first confirmed case was announced today.

I stopped by Kroger on the way home and yeah, way more packed than usual.  

Bottled water is being limited as it was at Costco last weekend.  

People are hitting the canned food aisle hard.

Didn’t check on T.P.  I still don’t understand why people have lost their damn minds over that.

Today's TP is yesterday's 22LR. No reason for that either.

• Administrator

The amount of stupidity I'm seeing on social media about the 2020 NRAAM being canceled because of COVID-19 is almost as epic as the amount of stupidity it takes for parents of kids who's schools are shut down to "self-quarantine" taking those kids out to the mall, the movies, etc. this week.

Seriously, I think we damn near deserve this virus and some of us are getting in the way of Natural Selection by trying to force people to be smarter.

Sort of joking.  Maybe.  A little.  Maybe not.

• Like 6