SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

I make my Nashville TV debut on Channel 5 tonight in my role as a mental health therapist talking about how to handle the anxiety of COVID-19 and all the other uncertainties of our current day.

Be sure to post a link if they make it available. 

23 hours ago, TGO David said:

Trump has nothing to do with the virus and couldn't have stopped it.  Entire governments are failing to stop it.

What Trump has failed at is keeping his mouth shut, especially on Twitter, for the last four years.  I've enjoyed what he did for our economy, but this current epidemic is probably going to unravel a lot of that.  Or all of it.  And why that's his fault is because it's one thing to put your country first and negotiate deals heavily in their favor, but it's another thing entirely to do that and then rub the losers' noses in it repeatedly to satisfy your own ego.

Now that our economy is vulnerable and because we will be trailing behind the rest of the world in recovering from COVID-19, the rest of the world is going to have a head-start on rebooting their economies and will use it to work toward establishing an upper hand.  Because their business leaders and government leaders hate the guy and hate having been subjected to the taunts of a Poor Winner.

So, they're going to break it off in our economy's ass to teach Trump a lesson and try to keep him out of office for another term.

That's my prediction at least.  And I'm not anti-Trump.  I'm just Pro "STFU Dude".

I don't believe a couple incompetent, butt-hurt foreign leaders will train wreck our economic recovery.  But I do wish Trump would forget his Twitter password.  

• Like 8

Well, pandemic aside, there are some great deals to be had. I booked a round trip ticket to see my best friend in Portland, OR. Total cost was $156.  It's the epicenter of the virus but I'll take a risk. 

If you are interested in any vacations now is the time to book. Our friends found a round trip flight from Atlanta to Costa Rice for $188.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Moderators
23 hours ago, TGO David said:

Trump has nothing to do with the virus and couldn't have stopped it.  Entire governments are failing to stop it.

What Trump has failed at is keeping his mouth shut, especially on Twitter, for the last four years.  I've enjoyed what he did for our economy, but this current epidemic is probably going to unravel a lot of that.  Or all of it.  And why that's his fault is because it's one thing to put your country first and negotiate deals heavily in their favor, but it's another thing entirely to do that and then rub the losers' noses in it repeatedly to satisfy your own ego.

Now that our economy is vulnerable and because we will be trailing behind the rest of the world in recovering from COVID-19, the rest of the world is going to have a head-start on rebooting their economies and will use it to work toward establishing an upper hand.  Because their business leaders and government leaders hate the guy and hate having been subjected to the taunts of a Poor Winner.

So, they're going to break it off in our economy's ass to teach Trump a lesson and try to keep him out of office for another term.

That's my prediction at least.  And I'm not anti-Trump.  I'm just Pro "STFU Dude".

I really wish for once he could have admitted that he’s not the smartest guy in the room and deferred to those best equipped to handle this. What really kills me is that there was a golden opportunity to not only do good, but reinforce his goals of moving industry back to the US under the auspices of national security and general public welfare. If he could have come out with an honest “this is gonna suck for a while, but we will listen to the experts like Dr. Fauci and get through this together as Americans” and then pivoted to bringing back supply chains for things like pharmaceutical production back to the US as a national security necessity, he would have greatly helped the nation and also mitigated fallout from the economic downturn caused by COVID-19. 

• Like 8
15 minutes ago, bud said:

This.

Doom, gloom, and old folks dying aside- When It's all over America is still winning economically and investors know that. The stars say Our quick economic recovery will bolster Trump's candidacy.

By the way, there are lots of service-sector, American, economy-driving folks still hard at work with a backlog of projects. Will fewer dollars be earned this year because of lost productivity during the slow down- sure, but sometimes stuff like global health pandemics are gonna interrupt your paycheck.

I want to believe this. I have to believe this. I have to live my life as normal as possible during all this.

If I don't, well I might as well just say f---it and roll over and die. Hell, I'm 68, wife's 67. Both of us fit the parameters of probable infection and illness. Likelyhood of getting it...high??? Surviving? Maybe.

Sorry. I'm not responding too well to all this paranoia.  Folks, pull it together. Please. For all our sakes and sanity.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
On 3/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, Swang said:

Was at sams club today and was a normal day, I could buy all the water and TP I wanted, typical crowd. No sanitizer noted.

I was at Sam's in Hendersonville today, just to see how people were reacting, and actually to pick up a few staples. Here are my Observations...

NO TP, Paper towels, a very few boxes of facial tissues. Almost out of bar soaps and liquid soaps. Strangely, I thought, detergents for washing clothes were not gone. 

Meats seemed to be the hottest item. Little left, but I did pick up a package of steaks. Just to blend in with the crowd you know. Of course canned goods getting low.

I actually forgot what I went after while watching people though. Not going back. 

Speaking of "People," It seemed to me that the crowd was very heavy on older people. Maybe 75%. A few that looked 30/40ish. Almost no really young or children.

Take what you will from this. Just what I saw.

Now a bit of positivity on my very young neighbors(30ish with 2 kids). The young wife called my wife and asked if they could shop for us, instead of me going out. They knew I did all the shopping and didn't want me to go and risk any exposure.

That was so darn nice I just got misty. Really...I did.

• Like 12
17 minutes ago, hipower said:

I was at Sam's in Hendersonville today, just to see how people were reacting, and actually to pick up a few staples. Here are my Observations...

NO TP, Paper towels, a very few boxes of facial tissues. Almost out of bar soaps and liquid soaps. Strangely, I thought, detergents for washing clothes were not gone. 

Meats seemed to be the hottest item. Little left, but I did pick up a package of steaks. Just to blend in with the crowd you know. Of course canned goods getting low.

I actually forgot what I went after while watching people though. Not going back. 

Speaking of "People," It seemed to me that the crowd was very heavy on older people. Maybe 75%. A few that looked 30/40ish. Almost no really young or children.

Take what you will from this. Just what I saw.

Now a bit of positivity on my very young neighbors(30ish with 2 kids). The young wife called my wife and asked if they could shop for us, instead of me going out. They knew I did all the shopping and didn't want me to go and risk any exposure.

That was so darn nice I just got misty. Really...I did.

That is how neighbors should be. Sadly I don't know mine as well as I should. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

That is how neighbors should be. Sadly I don't know mine as well as I should. 

I agree. Sadly, most of ours are not like Vanessa and Charlie. Everybody is just so self absorbed anymore, and no desire to meet and really know each other.

Way too long since the term "neighbors" actually meant something more than just those people nest door that you wave to now and then.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

Seriously, I think we damn near deserve this virus and some of us are getting in the way of Natural Selection by trying to force people to be smarter.

We're probably getting the virus we deserve, but natural selection will take the wrong batch of people, and I don't see us getting smarter as a result.  Darwin's batting average isn't as high as one might hope it to be. 

• Like 4
  • Admin Team

I’ve offered to shop for all of my neighbors  - all of whom are older.  It’s the least I can do - they’re all like grandparents to my kids.

Don’t disregard your mental health in all of this.  It’s okay to take a step back and step away from stuff like social media, the TV, and even TGO for a bit if you need to. 

It’s going to be important to protect your sanity in the coming days.

Find someone you can reach out to and check in on.  Buddy up with someone and check in regularly. If you need someone to chat with check in on here - or shoot me a PM. I’m certain we could get a group of people willing to reach out.

For those of faith - pray.  Find solace in a community of faith.

If you or someone you know gets sick - let us know.

We’ll get through this.  It’s going to be tough. We’re going to need everyone to do their part.  Take heart.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I go grocery shopping once a month. I usually later make a small trip to the store once or twice for items I forgot or just run out of. I did my shopping last week and it was fine. Just another routine trip to the store. 

Well I forgot a couple of items and a disabled friend asked me to pick up a few things for her. So I went to Kroger this morning. WHOA! What a mad house! :eek: The place was packed! People everywhere with carts piled high! All the usual stuff that;s already been reported was gone. Lots of empty shelf space. This store normally has one entire aisle of nothing but toilet paper. There were maybe 10-12 packs left. I'm ok on TP, but I didn't know about my friend. So I grabbed 3 six packs just because I was there and so was it. ;) What little was left disappeared before I had cleared the aisle. What should have been a quick 10-15 minute stop at the store took over an hour due to the crowd. :mad:

Top story on the local news tonight was about panic buying at local stores. It seems the mess I witnessed today is quite common all over the Memphis area. Oh well, I'm good for a couple of months at least. I feel sorry for those who waited and are now too late. :shake:

• Like 2

The tragic irony (and paradox) of countering pandemics is if you are appropriately aggressive early enough and successfully isolate and contain an outbreak, the population will think you overreacted because it wasnt worse. But it wasnt worse because of how you reacted. They will associate it with not being as bad as the govt thought. That means spending tens of billions (which seems reasonable now compared to the economic impact) will be so relatively extreme early on that people will balk at the idea. This is one of the things where proportional response is not what you want.  

Experience overseas has shown the median serial interval for coronavirus is shorter than the median incubation period so an infected person can spread the virus potentially for days prior to feeling ill, showing signs and symptoms or even knowing they are infected.  

I am concerned with this one, but its because I live in proximity to a 65 yo and 70 yo who are important to me, and who have a lot of comorbid risk factors. So I will take the funny looks going to the store wearing a mask while people buying all the toilet paper get a nod.

• Like 2

It's amazing the scope of who this affects.  I saw this notice when I went to my shopping cart at Midway.

We are shipping as fast as we can! News regarding COVID-19 is causing an unexpected surge in demand. Please note the estimated delivery dates which are accurate based on the information we have. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

It's amazing the scope of who this affects.  I saw this notice when I went to my shopping cart at Midway.

We are shipping as fast as we can! News regarding COVID-19 is causing an unexpected surge in demand. Please note the estimated delivery dates which are accurate based on the information we have. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks!

PSA has a similar notice up. 

I dare say that none of us here are ill-prepared in the area of firearms and accessories. So shipping delays won't be an issue.

• Like 1

Is it me, or is anyone else seeing a creep up in per round ammo prices? I’m seeing 9mm 115 gr brass case upwards of $0.25 to $0.29 per round.

I bought PMC 115gr 9mm at $8.99 per box last month from Ammuntion Depot.  Also, as a tac-pac sling bag with 350 rounds of PMC 9mm was $93.00. Now the same package is $142.

looks like price gouging to me. 

Edited by Snaveba
2 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Is it me, or is anyone else seeing a creep up in per round ammo prices? I’m seeing 9mm 115 gr brass case upwards of $0.25 to $0.29 per round.

I bought PMC 115gr 9mm at $8.99 per box last month from Ammuntion Depot.  Also, as a tac-pac sling bag with 350 rounds of PMC 9mm was $93.00. Now the same package is $142.

Its not price gouging if people are willing to pay it.  If they waited til now to buy they deserve it anyways.  Same as every other panic that affects the completely unprepared.  I don't blame these websites for making money while they can most of last year and this year they have had very little if any margins so they have to make money too.  

• Like 3

I am doing the same I do for every other event of this or any nature.

I reload then go shoot, most of the time I am the only one at the range because it is an outdoor range and I go early and the weather may not be optimal.

I do not and have never liked being around a lot of people and that has not changed as I have gotten older.

If I do catch something and die well I have been living on borrowed time from before I was born.

I appreciate all the time I have had and enjoy most of my family. 

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I reload then go shoot, most of the time I am the only one at the range because it is an outdoor range and I go early and the weather may not be optimal.

I do not and have never liked being around a lot of people and that has not changed as I have gotten older.

Sounds like how I operate.  :)

4 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Not price gouging, capitalism. Where there's panic, there's profit. 

Which makes me wonder about this stock market silliness.  How is the DOW "plummeting" with all this unprecedented spending going on?  

• Like 1