SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

9 hours ago, bud said:

CDC last reported this yesterday at 4pm and says they wont report again till Monday.

Your anecdotal 20 cases not withstanding, I'm betting these #'s are still pretty close. Maybe the death toll has doubled to 80...

My anecdotal cases are all positive test cases. It may be that the data has not reached the CDC yet, but cases in TN have easily doubled by yesterday. 

On 3/14/2020 at 9:51 AM, Magiccarpetrides said:

Anyone who has passed on all this cheap ammo and gun parts and waited til now is an idiot.  Yes I said it if you waited for the storm to come to "get prepared" you are an idiot and when it passes you will be an idiot saddled with ammo and supplies you overpaid for.

Maybe this is my TP moment, but I did just grab another 1000 rounds of 9mm on line. Not a bad price ($0.22/round delivered) but definitely not the best I have paid. 

I  picked a hell of a weekend to go and shoot up about 500 rounds of 9mm..... I love my new CZ Scorpion Evo though.

I'm a healthcare worker, I am around things that can kill me pretty much daily.  This one concerns me because we are not really very well prepared from a supply stand point, and thats mostly no fault of the healthcare system several things behind the scenes have screwed some things up.  Namely there was a huge shortage of supplies early on before this was a thing due to a couple of companies (I'm looking at you Cardinal Health and Civco..) that had some serious sterilization plant issues.  Factor that in with the fact everything other than American babies are made in China and you have a massive shortage.

The kicker of all this is early on this was a must have an N95  respirator type of isolation and now due to the shortage its an N95 only on patients with aerosol treatments and now a surgical mask is fine....... yeah that about face makes me uncomfortable... and reminds me to tell everyone who hoarded up N95's and or resold for profit they can shampoo my crotch.

If you are elderly or have a co-morbidity stay inside just watch tv dont go out in crowds, dont eat out, WASH your hands and dont touch your face,  let this just blow past.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, trevorst said:

I  picked a hell of a weekend to go and shoot up about 500 rounds of 9mm..... I love my new CZ Scorpion Evo though.

I'm ordering a CMMG banshee Monday. I've got three 5 gal buckets of 9mm brass, a 9mm suppressor I don't use on my handgun, and a need to protect my toilet paper. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, trevorst said:

If you are elderly or have a co-morbidity stay inside just watch tv dont go out in crowds, dont eat out, WASH your hands and dont touch your face,  let this just blow past.

But don't watch the news stations all day long. You will be so mad you could have a heart attack.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Using flu-like symptoms and screening questions is fine, but is insufficient on it's own given what we know about pre-symptomatic transmission.

The only thing that would have helped would be a populace properly educated by public officials early on, especially regarding treating themselves as a potential source even if they don't feel sick.   Calling for calm is appropriate, but not at the expense of providing critical information, thinking that they can't handle it.

Edited by Refleks
  • Like 1

I fully believe this will spread by non-symptomatic people who are still contagious.

The person who was contagious at the event we attend is knowledgeable enough on contagious diseases that I don’t think he would have attended if he had any symptoms or thought he was contagious. Even so, many folks were infected. 

Another issue is people who don’t think they are sick with Covid-19 when they are. My wife only had a very minor cough, and a low grade fever for a couple days. But she was positive. She has no cough now and only an off and on low grade fever. If her supervisor had not asked her to be tested, she would  not have been. 

My niece had the exact same symptoms last week. Her pediatrician was not concerned. I wonder if she was positive and is spreading the virus.

Long story short, we need large scale testing of anyone who thinks they could have Covid-19. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I fully believe this will spread by non-symptomatic people who are still contagious.

The person who was contagious at the event we attend is knowledgeable enough on contagious diseases that I don’t think he would have attended if he had any symptoms or thought he was contagious. Even so, many folks were infected. 

Another issue is people who don’t think they are sick with Covid-19 when they are. My wife only had a very minor cough, and a low grade fever for a couple days. But she was positive. She has no cough now and only an off and on low grade fever. If her supervisor had not asked her to be tested, she would  not have been. 

My niece had the exact same symptoms last week. Her pediatrician was not concerned. I wonder if she was positive and is spreading the virus.

Long story short, we need large scale testing of anyone who thinks they could have Covid-19. 

How is a minor cough and a low grade fever going to devastate life as we know it?

I am glad to hear your wife and niece are ok.

Edited by gregintenn
7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

As I understand it; that is what is happening now. You contact your physician and if they determine you should be tested; that is what happens.

They are working towards having anyone that wants to be tested, tested. However, if someone won’t call their Doctor to check out their symptoms; they aren’t going to go get tested. Yes, this will be spread by some who don’t think they should ask for help.

It’s not. But my wife is healthy and it has to this point not progressed further. One parent is in the hospital. He is a triathlete.

The issue is not that for a vast majority it will be innocuous. It is that it is highly transmissible, and is being spread by people who don’t know they are infected and it can make people very sick.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

How is a minor cough and a low grade fever going to devastate life as we know it?

It won’t, but it will kill my 87 year old Mother and 89 year old Father. You and your kids probably wouldn’t die if infected. But you could, and they could; and that’s the point of all the precautions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Just now, DaveTN said:

It won’t, but it will kill my 87 year old Mother and 89 year old Father. You and your kids probably wouldn’t die if infected. But you could, and they could; and that’s the point of all the precautions.

So would the flu, pneumonia, and a thousand other viruses floating around. If I am wrong, please correct me.

7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

So would the flu, pneumonia, and a thousand other viruses floating around. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Correct. And if we were in a flu epidemic that was killing old people I would hope you would use precautions instead of thinking because you are young and would probably survive it; it’s not devastating. It’s devastating to the people that die and their families.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Correct. And if we were in a flu epidemic that was killing old people I would hope you would use precautions instead of thinking because you are young and would probably survive it; it’s not devastating. It’s devastating to the people that die and their families.

The fact is we ARE in a flu epidemic. It happens every winter. The difference is there isn’t 24/7 news coverage of it and people aren’t freaking out about it.

16 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

It’s not. But my wife is healthy and it has to this point not progressed further. One parent is in the hospital. He is a triathlete.

The issue is not that for a vast majority it will be innocuous. It is that it is highly transmissible, and is being spread by people who don’t know they are infected and it can make people very sick.

Question for you. Did your wife shake hands with the infected person? How did most of the group catch it? Curious if it was airborne or not.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I was initially on the “what’s the big deal” train like you. The more I read and the more I listened to folks that actually have years of background in the field of communicable disease and virology, the better my understanding became.

Most of the other communicable diseases you’re comparing COVID-19 to are either low morbidity and moderate communicability, or low communicability and moderate morbidly. COVID-19 has a moderate morbidity and moderate (moving into high the more we learn) communicability. That a whole new ballgame by orders of magnitude. All of the other similar illnesses out there combined aren’t sending enough folks to the hospital to outstrip available resources like respirators and oxygen machines like this one is.  For example, folks with diabetes generally have a lower immune system strength making them high risk for severe symptoms. Way more than they normally would with normal flu.

So this is a big deal. I do agree there’s a lot of media induced panic going on, but it’s not all in everyone’s heads. It is a serious event and folks do need to take the advice of the folks at the CDC and WHO regarding reducing transmission. It isn’t just about us individually not getting sick, it’s also our moral responsibility to do what we can to not get others sick. Others who might not survive it like those of us that are younger or healthier might. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I was initially on the “what’s the big deal” train like you. The more I read and the more I listened to folks that actually have years of background in the field of communicable disease and virology, the better my understanding became.

Most of the other communicable diseases you’re comparing COVID-19 to are either low morbidity and moderate communicability, or low communicability and moderate morbidly. COVID-19 has a moderate morbidity and moderate (moving into high the more we learn) communicability. That a whole new ballgame by orders of magnitude. All of the other similar illnesses out there combined aren’t sending enough folks to the hospital to outstrip available resources like respirators and oxygen machines like this one is.  For example, folks with diabetes generally have a lower immune system strength making them high risk for severe symptoms. Way more than they normally would with normal flu.

So this is a big deal. I do agree there’s a lot of media induced panic going on, but it’s not all in everyone’s heads. It is a serious event and folks do need to take the advice of the folks at the CDC and WHO regarding reducing transmission. It isn’t just about us individually not getting sick, it’s also our moral responsibility to do what we can to not get others sick. Others who might not survive it like those of us that are younger or healthier might. 

This is where I am. This will most likely be a small event if the healthcare systems don't overload. Now, if I can just find some groceries 🙂 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Question for you. Did your wife shake hands with the infected person? How did most of the group catch it? Curious if it was airborne or not.

Not sure. I don’t think my wife or I had any contact at the event. I think a number of those who caught it were with them in a group and shared a table. My wife had contact with his wife outside of the event so that field be the transmission point.

or it is all a coincidence and we all picked it up separately. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I don’t consume a lot of traditional media.

I can’t remember the last time a TV was on in my house tuned to anything of the sort.

But I’ve got friends with terminal degrees in public health and pandemic response who are really worried right now. These are folks who were on the ground in Africa during the Ebola crisis and who worked SARS and H1N1.

I’d trust them with my life - and these are folks who are used to parsing everything through the lens of risk.

There are a lot of folks on here who are more politically conservative than me. That’s great. I love debating big ideas.

But, your media is purposefully misleading you right now. For whatever the reason.

You need to take this seriously - if for no other reason than the country is going to get more liberal if you die.

And, it’s worth noting that here in Tennessee alone - we’ve lost so much capacity in terms of rural hospitals. Where are you going to go when you need treatment?

Even in my 40-49 age bracket - this has 20x the mortality rate of a bad flu year.

Take it seriously y’all.

• Like 7