SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

22 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

@Grand Torino and @Snaveba  are you wives doing better? 

Mine is fine. Thanks for asking. She has not had symptoms since Monday. I was tested Wednesday because I ran a slight fever and have been living in a house that had a positive family member. I “should” have results today. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I watched him this morning. So the numbers he's claiming amounts to 22.4 million sick people in his state alone. I know they are trying hard to say we are the next Italy but the numbers alone simply don't compute. Once again, I'm not saying people aren't getting sick and this isn't some bad stuff but the comparison to Italy is just trying to cause a panic. And someone help me understand how you would ever be prepared for 22 million sick people in your state ? Yet we keep saying we aren't prepared and hammering at that. I am pretty sure our fellow Tennesseans weren't prepared to have their chit slung for 60 miles but yet here we are.

I hope you're right but I don't see any reason to think the experts on this are misleading us. Italy has been on mandatory quarantine for 4 weeks and they are still seeing 5,000 new cases each day. The CDC also believes anywhere from 160-214 million Americans could be infected. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Folks, I think that it's pretty obvious that more strict measures of "social separation" are coming and we can largely thank the people who have thumbed their noses at the government's request that we self-isolate.

The writing was on the wall when you saw national news reports of idiots partying on the beach for Spring Break, or the local news where other idiots were specifically partying on Lower Broadway in Nashville despite the repeated statements by epidemiologists that such behavior would hasten the transmission of COVID-19 and contribute to the overwhelming of our hospitals.

Just yesterday it made the news in western Kentucky that a church in Murray, KY had foolishly ignored federal recommendations against gatherings of 10 or more people.

https://www.wkms.org/post/murray-church-says-visitor-tested-positive-coronavirus#stream/0

Now all of the people in that building who shook hands with, touched the same things as, and yes even breathed the same air as the infected person have gone into the surrounding community and touched and coughed-upon a countless number of other people and things.  They've gone grocery shopping, hugged and kissed their families, stopped for gasoline at the convenience store, visited elderly friends, etc.  Every contact and subsequent contact just adds to an exponentially growing web.  One person touches another who each then go touch two more, and then those six go touch two more...

I think this virus is a curse on people who just suck at math and who are too belligerent for anyone's good.  And since we're incapable of self-quarantine, we can logically assume that the government will do it for us. 

If you don't understand the concept of flattening the curve, how many ICU beds would you say are in Nashville?   Vanderbilt University Medical Center (not the Monroe Carroll Children's Hospital) has 481 "specialty care" beds according to this report.

https://www.ahd.com/free_profile/440039/Vanderbilt_University_Hospital/Nashville/Tennessee/

You can research other hospitals here as well, but bear in mind that those specialty care beds are not necessarily all ICU.  Specialty care is any ward that is custom-designed and staffed for patients with unique care requirements.  The actual number of ICU beds is going to be less.

If you look at the ever-changing data from the CDC, even the low-ball estimates of patients who will require ICU attention for 14+ days over the next 6-8 weeks would easily overrun the capacity of hospitals in the US.  That's why federal and state governments are scrambling to purchase specific ventilators ahead of what they fear will be  crushing wave of patients that require them, and an insufficient current supply to care for them.

But... this is all probably overblown.  Folks should just go lick doorknobs and french-kiss each other because the government told them not to.  Don't tread on me, and all that.

I'd expect to see some sort of curfews and further restrictions on local transit soon.  How they'd enforce it is pretty easy, in my opinion:  Roadblocks and patrol cars pulling you over to determine why you're on the streets.  Valid excuses would likely only be that you're getting groceries, medicines or other essentials, or that you have a medical/familial reason.

That's just my guess.  I hope I'm wrong, but everything so far suggests that flattening the curve and spreading out the impact of the virus on hospital capacity is what will do the most good in lieu of a viable vaccine.  And like I said at the top, we clearly can't count on people to do these things by their own volition.

• Like 5

Door Dash and Internet ordering are your friend if you need things. Heck, I even saw a local service that is shopping DollarTree for you if you want. Just be sure to get an unattended delivery. Spray it with Lysol (if you have any) and you should be good. 

While I love my freedom, use some common sense. That is where these people are lacking. I have to still go to work due to my employer setup. The rest of the family is home. I wash my hands well and avoid close contact with anyone or anything I don't have to. I don't want to expose them. 

If you are bored at home, play a card or board game, binge watch that 3 seasons of that show you have been meaning to catch up on, sleep, play with your kids, read a book, have a large romp of "adult time" or whatever. Being "BORED" is not excuse to expose yourself, your family, and whomever you come in contact with to the potential to be infected. 

I agree with David that we will see more restrictions. I just hope that giving that inch to flatten the curve will not end in the government using the chance to take a mile. If Martial Law or such gets declared things get real sketchy as to what can be done "for your own good." None of us want to face local PD or National Guard that have been tasked with securing an area. Just read about Katrina. 

• Like 2
  • Authorized Vendor
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@Grand Torino and @Snaveba  are you wives doing better? 

Not really...but not any worse either so I guess it's a plus. Still haven't heard a damn thing about her test results yet which is a PITA but oh well. She still has a mid grade fever that comes and goes. Fees great when it's gone and poopy (her words) when it returns. She is eating and sleeping well so that's a plus.  

I don't know what she has but she has something for sure. The waiting for an answer is the worst I guess...at least for me. 

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 7

I read a report on numbers analysis this morning saying the the virus is more deadly to men than women by a whopping 66% in China and 70% in Italy. Most deadly for men with underlying disease such as diabetes and heart disease. With diabetes, high blood pressure, and stage 3 kidney failure, I'm totally screwed if I get it. How you die isn't pretty either. :( 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

My 6-year old daughter announced this morning that her head hurts and her voice (throat) hurts.  Granted, we go through this every Spring due to changing weather and seasonal allergies... but damned if it doesn't make my blood run a little colder just thinking about what else it could be.

We're going to be monitoring her closely.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TGO David said:

My 6-year old daughter announced this morning that her head hurts and her voice (throat) hurts.  Granted, we go through this every Spring due to changing weather and seasonal allergies... but damned if it doesn't make my blood run a little colder just thinking about what else it could be.

I'd imagine every regular ailment is going to have people second guessing themselves.  This is/was the time of year when people get a little bit sick and move on with their lives if we weren't in the middle of in a paradigm shift on such things. 

Hoping for the best with your daughter and everyone in the home and it's just a normal seasonal thing.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
36 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Same in my household. We have a 1.5 year old who like to “fake cough” to get our attention. I swear I’ve checked his temperature 30 times. He’s seems fine but it’s a terrible time for allergy season to start up. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

A friend of mine said his wife's company is laying off 30 out of their 60 employees today.  She's having to deliver the news to all of them.

That's not going to be uncommon over the coming weeks.  Businesses are going to be seeing a screeching halt to cash flow and that makes hard decisions axiomatic to a scary degree.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

My youngest daughter has a condition that makes any injuries or sickness potentiality life threatening. We only have two hospitals in the area that can deal with the condition. The injection that keeps her alive on the way to the hospital can't be administered by anyone other than a me, my wife, or a doctor so ambulance trips are out. I know how you feel, but the flu is worse for kids. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Moped said:

Anyone else having issues with news media websites not functioning properly? I suspect so many people are jumping on them trying to find out news that it’s screwing them up.

Sec of State just said that China, Russia, and Iran have launched a disinformation attack on the US. It would follow that they would use a DDoS attack to slow down legitimate news sites.

EDIT: It would also follow that you have many more people who are home and taxing the Internet capacity with increased throughput capacity that residences have now. They are not using the company's MPLS system directly.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

On 3/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, TGO David said:

Now that our economy is vulnerable and because we will be trailing behind the rest of the world in recovering from COVID-19, the rest of the world is going to have a head-start on rebooting their economies and will use it to work toward establishing an upper hand.  Because their business leaders and government leaders hate the guy and hate having been subjected to the taunts of a Poor Winner.

So, they're going to break it off in our economy's ass to teach Trump a lesson and try to keep him out of office for another term.

On 3/13/2020 at 6:53 PM, deerslayer said:

I don't believe a couple incompetent, butt-hurt foreign leaders will train wreck our economic recovery. 

26 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Sec of State just said that China, Russia, and Iran have launched a disinformation attack on the US. It would follow that they would use a DDoS attack to slow down legitimate news sites.

It only took eight days.

surprised kenan thompson GIF

41 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Doesn't mean it's not happening.

Well, let's say it is happening.  Are we to believe that China, Russia, Iran, and all the other world thugs have suddenly decided to launch cyber attacks simply because Donald Trump is a smartass?  Or because there is some economic advantage for them?  If Obama were still in office, you're telling me they would withhold their cyber attacks and ignore whatever benefit a slow US recovery may provide for them?  Maybe they would even ship us some corona testing kits.  Trump needs to tone down his twitter rhetoric, but I don't believe world leaders base their economic/foreign/geopolitical policy on some stupid twitter comments, especially when that policy could be construed as acts of war.  

If they want to hurt us financially and get him out of office as a result, it's not because he's a twitter bully.  It's because he's not shipping pallets of cash to Iran, not colluding with the Russians, and not supporting the Chinese economy at the expense of the US economy by declaring that US manufacturing that moved to China is gone forever.  Like his predecessor.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/10/2020 at 6:02 PM, peejman said:

Me too. Which makes it very similar to the various strains of the flu virus that go around every year, which we largely ignore.  The only noticeable difference I see is a stark and intriguing lack of effect on little kids, which will certainly have to be investigated.  

I really, really never thought I'd say this, but I think Elon Musk is right on this one. 

I'm ok with admitting that I was wrong initially.  I feel better knowing Elon Musk is wrong too.  :) 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Some really paranoid people on some conspiracy sites think that the outbreak in China is really a propaganda cover story and that they released it onto the world as a planned event. To what end besides causing economic issues in the affected countries I would not even try to guess. 

I have learned that reading any sites like that is enough to make you paranoid. 

I thought this myth had been dispelled by experts who researched the cellular structure of the disease and proved it had evolved "naturally".  Not sure where I heard that or of course whether or not it's true, just another factoid.