SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Post the whole conversation.  The reporter first mentioned Trump’s “impulse to put a positive spin on things.”  This is what set Trump off. 

But Trump does always try to put a “positive as he sees it” spin on things. Everything is always “the best” or “the biggest” or “under control” or “not a bad as it seems”.  Anything but what is actually the reality of the situation. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

That's a damn lie. It was a reasonable question and Trump looked like a weak narcissist as a result.  Pence answered it like a leader is supposed to.

And I would guess the majority of this forum doesn't trust the governemnt. You realize I'm not the only person to criticize Trump in this thread, including the owner of the site? It seems you just like to argue with me and you don't have the balls to call out anyone else on here. I go out of my way to not engage with you. I wish you'd do the same. 

It was a "When did you stop beating your wife?" type question.

By the way, I love your new avatar!

22 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

But Trump does always try to put a “positive as he sees it” spin on things. Everything is always “the best” or “the biggest” or “under control” or “not a bad as it seems”.  Anything but what is actually the reality of the situation. 

The reality of the situation is a cure or vaccine could be discovered tomorrow; or it could be the 12-18 months they have all said from the beginning.

Are people that are postponing everything a month being real? No, they are being positive and hopeful. That is a good thing.

The Treasury Secretary just said “The U.S. economy is strong. We’ve stopped major parts of it, but when we get through this virus, as I’ve said, I think you’re gonna see the U.S. economy come back to the strength, we have great companies, we have great workers,” he said. “What we need to do is have a bridge to get through this. And this isn’t the financial crisis that’s gonna go on for years.”

What does he base that on? Hope, or a WAG. You be the judge. Trump has done the same thing.

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Well, Lee has just banned gathering of more than 10 people. I'm curious to see which jobs are considered essential. I'm supposed to start my new job tomorrow 😬

http://onthehill.tnjournal.net/lee-orders-statewide-ban-gatherings-of-more-than-10-and-on-dine-in-restaurants-bars/

Anyone able to find the actual text of executive order 17? I can’t.

If we attend church service next Sunday, will the national guard come drag us out?

I’m quite certain our Sheriff won’t. He’ll be at church too.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If we attend church service next Sunday, will the national guard come drag us out?

I’m quite certain our Sheriff won’t. He’ll be at church too.

Doubtful they will need to drag you out. My guess would be that your church will do the right thing, and there won't be any issue.

Can't like the news from FaceBook, but apparently Nashville Mayor John Cooper has elected to follow in the same manner. As I understood it, misdemeanor charges could be leveled against those not following the suggestions and "Staying in Place" 

I need a battery for my truck. It will be a "warranty" replacement, but I have to go to Firestone tomorrow to have it done. 

Is that an essential trip?

Edited by hipower
22 minutes ago, hipower said:

Can't like the news from FaceBook, but apparently Nashville Mayor John Cooper has elected to follow in the same manner. As I understood it, misdemeanor charges could be leveled against those not following the suggestions and "Staying in Place" 

I need a battery for my truck. It will be a "warranty" replacement, but I have to go to Firestone tomorrow to have it done. 

Is that an essential trip?

Will Firestone be open HP ? Do you have an appt ?

5 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Will Firestone be open HP ? Do you have an appt ?

More good questions. I hadn't called to check. I'll get on that.

Just called. Closed. Don't know if after closing time today(it's 5:13 now). 

I'll call them in the morning and see what's going with them.

I had already figured to take the battery, set it out and let the check it or/and replace it by sitting it in my car or back to ground, back off and I'd pick it up.

Let you know what happens. 

Concern in that I am 52 and seeing my retirement get whittled away.

I supposed, from the same perspective, there is hope in that there are probably some good buys right now. 

I missed Apple, Microsoft and Bitcoin; I have a meeting with my guy tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

I supposed, from the same perspective, there is hope in that there are probably some good buys right now. 

I understand now. Wasn’t sure if you were hoping for it to drop so you could buy. 

• Admin Team

This is way different than 2008 already.

We’re not seeing the economy slow. We’re  watching it hit a wall and throw us through the windshield.

It’s literally disintegrating in front of our eyes.

As a small business owner where most of my clients are small and midsize businesses - we’re all seeing the same thing.

We’re hoping our businesses are still here when this is done.  

• Like 5
  • Administrator
3 hours ago, Snaveba said:

He's the perpetual salesman.  It's fairly annoying but once you learn to process what he says through that filter, it gets easier to filter the outright BS from the hype.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

As a business owner many times over the years I've had to divulge bad information to employees in steps to control the crash.

Can you imagine if Trump had come out day one and throwed it all out there about what they knew was going to need to happen? You think the run on TP and ammo has been bad. 

This is unprecedented territory and there is no playbook. I don't envy any of the people trying to run towns, counties, states or countries. I'll do my best to protect family and friends. I don't expect the government to bail me out or protect me. That's how I was raised. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

This is just my advice, so you're free to discard it.  Take a bit of time to look at the DJIA, NASDAQ, & S&P 500 over the course of different economic plunges, and see how they recovered back to where they were before the drops.

Don't panic, and don't let your guy sell you on any opportunities until your head is clear.  I question your need to even have "a guy" when a total stock market index fund, and total bond market index fund can be more than enough for both a retirement and taxable portfolio.  Index funds are your friend, and can be had without undue fees, or sales tactics along the way.

You're 52.  Unless you wanted to retire in the next five years, you're still in good position like you were a month and a half ago, even if all you can think about are stocks being where they were three years ago.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

This is way different than 2008 already.

We’re not seeing the economy slow. We’re  watching it hit a wall and throw us through the windshield.

It’s literally disintegrating in front of our eyes.

As a small business owner where most of my clients are small and midsize businesses - we’re all seeing the same thing.

We’re hoping our businesses are still here when this is done.  

My biggest worry in all this is just how the landscape will look if enough small businesses are off the board.  They really don't have the ability to withstand anything prolonged, and big business will scoop up that market share riki tik.  Getting it back to small businesses will be difficult at best.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

This is just my advice, so you're free to discard it.  Take a bit of time to look at the DJIA, NASDAQ, & S&P 500 over the course of different economic plunges, and see how they recovered back to where they were before the drops.

Don't panic, and don't let your guy sell you on any opportunities until your head is clear.  I question your need to even have "a guy" when a total stock market index fund, and total bond market index fund can be more than enough for both a retirement and taxable portfolio.  Index funds are your friend, and can be had without undue fees, or sales tactics along the way.

You're 52.  Unless you wanted to retire in the next five years, you're still in good position like you were a month and a half ago, even if all you can think about are stocks being where they were three years ago.

This! Do not make any changes based on emotion, especially fear and panic!

• Like 4
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, btq96r said:

My biggest worry in all this is just how the landscape will look if enough small businesses are off the board.  They really don't have the ability to withstand anything prolonged, and big business will scoop up that market share riki tik.  Getting it back to small businesses will be difficult at best.

Yes and now. If a lot of small businesses do disappear, perhaps that will open up room for more to start. 

Perhaps an initiative to support the small business as well? 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

As a business owner many times over the years I've had to divulge bad information to employees in steps to control the crash.

Can you imagine if Trump had come out day one and throwed it all out there about what they knew was going to need to happen? You think the run on TP and ammo has been bad. 

This is unprecedented territory and there is no playbook. I don't envy any of the people trying to run towns, counties, states or countries. I'll do my best to protect family and friends. I don't expect the government to bail me out or protect me. That's how I was raised. 

THIS sums it up for me 10000x over. I don't apologize for the steps and measures I've taken all my life to insure and protect what is mine nor do I say sorry for maintaining a promise and obligation to those that rely on me for protection and standing up for those close to me that cannot.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Maybe, maybe not, but the guy's comment was a slap in the face to Trump.  No president is going to stand there and take a bunch of snark from a smartass reporter, especially the current president.  

• Like 4