SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, btq96r said:

This is just my advice, so you're free to discard it.  Take a bit of time to look at the DJIA, NASDAQ, & S&P 500 over the course of different economic plunges, and see how they recovered back to where they were before the drops.

Don't panic, and don't let your guy sell you on any opportunities until your head is clear.  I question your need to even have "a guy" when a total stock market index fund, and total bond market index fund can be more than enough for both a retirement and taxable portfolio.  Index funds are your friend, and can be had without undue fees, or sales tactics along the way.

You're 52.  Unless you wanted to retire in the next five years, you're still in good position like you were a month and a half ago, even if all you can think about are stocks being where they were three years ago.

I don't think this event can be compared to previous bear markets or even the 1929 crash. This is new territory. I went all cash in my individual account and my 401k last Monday. The Dow Jones closed around 19,000 Friday. I think the bottom will be closer to 10,000 than 19,000. If I miss a few thousand points on the way back up before I get back in, I'm okay with that. I fell relieved that I'm no longer losing $2,000 to $3,000 every day. 

9 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Maybe, maybe not, but the guy's comment was a slap in the face to Trump.  No president is going to stand there and take a bunch of snark from a smartass reporter, especially the current president.  

Peter Alexander has been in the business long enough to know how to bait Trump as many reporters do. Trump has sparred with his fair share over the years. It was bad timing for them both, period. You never saw this when black jesus was on the podium because the powers that be would have made sure you lost press privileges. 

• Like 1

Cuomo was ranting on the news tonight because New Yorkers were disobeying his orders and strolling around parks in NYC...said more drastic measures may be necessary to get these people to obey. The Shepard doesn’t like it when the sheep don’t follow orders. 

• Like 2

At this point I would rather we just gave small businesses ~$25k instead of bailing out a dozen giant corporations that have spent all their money on stock buybacks the past decade. Maybe that's not practical but these bailouts are nauseating. I understand not allowing airlines to fail but some of the other groups asking for money just aren't essential. 

I thought this Reddit post summed it up perfectly.

Capture+_2020-03-19-10-39-33.png

One things for sure, even if the world wasn't going to end, people are hell bent on talking it into existence.  

Go outside and get some fresh air.  People need to put down their phones and computers and focus on something other than doom and gloom.  I would love to see a 14 day internet ban so people can stop being crazed idiots.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Go outside and get some fresh air.  People need to put down their phones and computers and focus on something other than doom and gloom.  I would love to see a 14 day internet ban so people can stop being crazed idiots.

I tried to suggest an internet ban to my 14yo daughter, did not go over well. 😀😬

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

One things for sure, even if the world wasn't going to end, people are hell bent on talking it into existence.  

I’ve been outside for the last two days, helping a friend build wooden fence around her house. I need to go to work tomorrow, just to rest. She worked me like a rented mule!

BTW, my commute is hell now. Through the living room, into the hall and down to my wife’s craft room. Working from home definitely has its perks! 😁

1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Absolutely agree.  I'm at the saturation point, worrying about my own health, as well as my family's health. Not to mention whatever is left of my retirement fund.

I did a bunch of yardwork and took an old car out for a spin today to relax a little.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jgradyc said:

I don't think this event can be compared to previous bear markets or even the 1929 crash. This is new territory. I went all cash in my individual account and my 401k last Monday. The Dow Jones closed around 19,000 Friday. I think the bottom will be closer to 10,000 than 19,000. If I miss a few thousand points on the way back up before I get back in, I'm okay with that. I fell relieved that I'm no longer losing $2,000 to $3,000 every day. 

Making any panic moves now is the wrong decision, IMO.  It will come back, it's just a question of when.  I'm always dollar cost averaging no matter which way the market moves so I don't have to stress about the timing or any other trends I don't have industry access for.  I made my monthly buy with cash on hand after expenses mid-March, and I'll do it again in April.

I'm not saying we're done on the downswing just yet, but this very much can be analyzed in terms of market response once the bottom hits.  The government in every instance of financial trouble has made it a priority to get the financial sector, then broader markets stabilized.  From there, our economy has done the rest, and I don't see that model changing here, they'll just throw some direct cash on top of it. 

I'm not a fan of how they do it (corporate bailout with strings with excessive debt on top of normal operating debt), but for the objective they set, it works.

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I live around the Germantown area of Nashville.  Outside for some fresh air yesterday as I took a 30 min walk was a shut down farmers market, bicentennial mall with only a dozen or so other folks walking around, damage still visible from the tornado's that seem like forever ago despite it being less than a month, and businesses with signs on the door telling folks which delivery sites they could order food from in their last gasp to keep a cash flow going. 

Seeing the once vibrant economy of my neighborhood dying in slow motion is probably just as if not more depressing than anything on the internet and TV...but I need the exercise.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

I was 52 in 2000 and way over loaded on tech stocks, and I had thought about retiring at 55. Well I thought that dream had ended. I didn't sell, I continued buying but in a more diverse way. When I was 55 I had recovered all I had lost and more and told my boss I was ready to retire if he didn't keep me happy. At 57 the corporation was offering buy outs and I qualified, so I bailed, that was 2005. I road out the 2008 dip without much concern and I plan to ride this one out. By the way I have done most of my own investing since I started, I read a lot and still do. The one time I decided to put some money in the hands of an "expert" he managed to lose half of it in about two years and talked me out of buying Apple at a split adjust price that would have been a $1/share.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I ran 3.5 miles this morning and saw other runners, several dog walkers, and a few families walking.  More people doing outdoor exercise than I’ve ever seen. 

We live miles away from a neighborhood, and we have had a ton of walkers going up and down our street.

37 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

We live miles away from a neighborhood, and we have had a ton of walkers going up and down our street.

We've been walking around our subdivision every day it hasn't been raining, and plenty of other people are doing the same. I've had more interaction with neighbors that I don't live right next to in the past week than in the prior 10 years. 

As others have said, winter has been rather miserable.  Now that it's warming up, it'll be really hard to keep folks inside. Cuomo needs to get a grip and realize he's in a city of 8.6 million. When more than half aren't at work daily, getting some vitamin D, some exercise, and de-stressing is just what the doctor ordered. 

9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I was 52 in 2000 and way over loaded on tech stocks, and I had thought about retiring at 55. Well I thought that dream had ended. I didn't sell, I continued buying but in a more diverse way. When I was 55 I had recovered all I had lost and more and told my boss I was ready to retire if he didn't keep me happy. At 57 the corporation was offering buy outs and I qualified, so I bailed, that was 2005. I road out the 2008 dip without much concern and I plan to ride this one out. By the way I have done most of my own investing since I started, I read a lot and still do. The one time I decided to put some money in the hands of an "expert" he managed to lose half of it in about two years and talked me out of buying Apple at a split adjust price that would have been a $1/share.

I finally decided that if the "experts" knew anything I don't, they'd be investing their money instead of mine.

That decision, along with leaving emotion out of it as well as reading and learning, has paid me great dividends.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

***Historian voice in documentary 50 years from now***

"...and the screwed it up!  All they had to do was enjoy TV shows, digital streaming, video games, and order take out while sitting at home, and they screwed it up."

• Haha 5

Is anyone aware of any prepper websites that are discussing prepping for Covid 19? If so, let me know. Thanks!

I went to Walmart (Charlotte Pike) when it opened this morning and topped off my stores of food. I had enough to last a month before this happened because that's my prepper policy, but it would have been some unappealing meals. Now I have enough to also eat reasonably tasty meals. Mostly I bought bacon, rice, frozen vegetables, cat food, and dog food. I went by the vitamin section and saw it fully stocked, except for being sold out of Vitamin C.  The other antivirals and immune system boosters were still there, if you know what they are. 

Back in December when Life Extension had their year end sale, I bought over $1,000 in vitamins so I'm stocked in that, too. 

I would suggest that everyone take supplements to boost their immune system. It slows the aging process and reduces the frequency and severity of colds and common flu. One of my friends (female, age 61) also takes several vitamins. She was sick for about 12 hours last Thursday with what is most likely Covid 19. She's still weak with the occasional dry cough, but otherwise symptom free. Here's what we take. Bolded names are ones that I'd recommend first.

Vitamin C, D3, selenium, Omega 3 oil, astazanthin, curcumin with piperine, tart cherry extract, olive leaf extract, echinacea, zinc, and Lauricidin. 

1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

Because I have more than a 401k and like having an expert with a track record of success.

Meeting with him is based on opportunity, not fear or panic.

Ha, ha, ha. When I first met with my financial advisor I told him I had a pretty high IQ, high enough that I know I have no more chance of picking the right stocks than picking the lottery numbers, and no desire to learn or spend the research time required. That’s his job. Then we talked about guns for two hours.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Democrats blocked a $2 trillion coronavirus rescue bill for the second day in a row today. The vote was 49-46, 60 votes are required to advance the legislation for a final debate.

Because that's the way to win votes this November!