SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

Nashville is full.  They’ve got to go somewhere. 

We need to start sending them over to the west side where ChuckT lives.  All kinds of open space out there in the boonies.

We’re at saturation point here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1
  • Admin Team
16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

We need to start sending them over to the west side where ChuckT lives.  All kinds of open space out there in the boonies.

We’re at saturation point here.

Sometimes I wonder if Memphis is sandbagging on its own reputation - sort of Br'er Rabbit style?

"No, Memphis is horrible.  You wouldn't want to move there.  It's a pit."

They might be onto something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Sometimes I wonder if Memphis is sandbagging on its own reputation - sort of Br'er Rabbit style?

"No, Memphis is horrible.  You wouldn't want to move there.  It's a pit."

They might be onto something.

That’s a ridiculous theory. 

😇

• Like 1

I was out today working. Had to go to the bus station on Charlotte, 400 block. Place was a ghost town, maybe 10 people in 2 hours. Drove back down 4th to Broad. Saw a beggar with a new sign "Will kidnap your boss and whop his butt for 5 bucks".:bowrofl: Called my boss to tell him about the new sign. As I drive down to the river on Broad saw just 2 sight seers, People are staying home for the most part. Yes I wash going in, wash going out and sanitize with alcohol after in the van.

• Haha 1

My wife and were out and about in West and North Knoxville this afternoon. I noticed most shopping centers and strip malls parking lots were empty. I think a lot of people are staying home for the time being. I just don’t think it will last, even if there is a true lockdown, unlike what the Governor did today.

6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm on day 6 of employment and finally got my computer working.  Also, I'm happy to report we put our house on the market Friday and had a full price offer accepted within 24 hours. We then disinfected anything people may have touched. 

I'm honestly shocked people are still buying houses but I guess the rates are too good for some to pass up..

We just sold a rental house. Had two full price offers, and one of them upped it above our asking price 😀 It was on the market a week. We just put the house we live in on the market too. People are still buying, but I’m super reluctant to let a bunch of people walk around inside my house 😬I just hope it sells quick!

My son and his boss were sent home from work yesterday due to fever. Both of them went for flu and corona virus testing. The flu results take 24-hours; the corona results take days. If the flu results are negative he'll have to isolate for a month, and he doesn't get sick pay. With my underlying issues I would likely die from it if I caught it, so no seeing my son or grandson for a month.

• Sad 1
47 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

My son and his boss were sent home from work yesterday due to fever. Both of them went for flu and corona virus testing. The flu results take 24-hours; the corona results take days. If the flu results are negative he'll have to isolate for a month, and he doesn't get sick pay. With my underlying issues I would likely die from it if I caught it, so no seeing my son or grandson for a month.

That stinks. Hope they both recover quickly. So far, the positive test rate is about 15%, so clearly there's more than just covid going around.  

• Like 1

Grim prediction  stats indeed:

IHME (same modeling source White House team is relying on, charts shown during update today), projects for TENNESSEE:

Peak of infections:  Apr 26

Hospital Bed Shortage: 11,000+

ICU Bed Shortage: 2,200+

Total COVID-19 deaths projected to August 4, 2020 in Tennessee:  4,985

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

(see drop down menu by state on top of page - the way site is coded, I can't seem to do specific TN link)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 minute ago, Oh Shoot said:

IHME (same modeling source White House team is relying on, charts shown during update today), projects for TENNESSEE:

(see drop down menu by state on top of page - the way site is coded, I can't seem to do specific TN link)

- OS

5,000 deaths out of 6.8 million residents doesn't seem that bad. Am I wrong? The bed shortage seems more concerning. But this also assumes we continue social distancing measures until August which is a depressing thought.

27 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

IHME (same modeling source White House team is relying on, charts shown during update today), projects for TN:

(see drop down menu by state on top of page - frame site, can't seem to do specific TN link)

- OS

You are a ray of sunshine, my friend. Just damn. 😔

• Admin Team

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”  

The above quote was by Michael Crichton referencing physicist Murray Gell-Mann.

I’m going to sound like a complete jerk here.  But, I might suggest taking everything the White House says and parsing it through that framework.

I don’t really care what you chalk it up to - but this administration has no more idea what they’re talking about this week than they did a month ago. They can present new charts with updated casualty ranges. They can beg people to take it seriously now when a month ago they were saying the opposite. Whatever. It doesn’t matter. They lack the ability to comprehend the depth of the problem - because they lack the ability to care about anything other than lining their pockets.

They are historically unprepared - and thousands upon thousands of Americans will die because of it.

It’s an absolute disgrace.

And all of us ought to take a good hard look in the mirror and use this time in quarantine to think about how we got here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

5,000 deaths out of 6.8 million residents doesn't seem that bad. Am I wrong? ...

I'm reminded of No Country for Old Men:

Just how dangerous is he?"

"Compared to what? The bubonic plague?"

😉

- OS

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
26 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t really care what you chalk it up to - but this administration has no more idea what they’re talking about this week than they did a month ago. They can present new charts with updated casualty ranges. ,,,

Agree totally, but I do give IHME and Fauci more than a modicum of respect. And up till recently, Birx, but her recent Trump Toady now casts some doubt. Hopefully, she was just stroking him in the useful idiot type way that many world leaders have.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
34 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Agree totally, but I do give IHME and Fauci more than a modicum of respect. And up till recently, Birx, but her recent Trump Toady now casts some doubt. Hopefully, she was just stroking him in the useful idiot type way that many world leaders have.

- OS

Fauci is a pro - and has been for a long time.

I’m starting to view him and Birx through the lens you’d use in a hostage negotiation.  They are valuable and need to stay alive - or in this case on the job.  There are some rules they have to play by - because staying alive could literally save thousands of lives.  

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
3 minutes ago, bud said:

I know Trump could've reacted to the problem more quickly by taking the advice of medical professionals to heart sooner (not that he has taken it to heart now), but weren't all quarantine measures taken by the states individually, and so doesn't credit/blame rest at the feet of the Governors for containing the spread of the virus? 

Was the health dept in TN watching this viral wave coming like a slow boat from China and adequately preparing themselves?

Is Gov. Lee implementing strong enough travel restrictions? 70 people per county dying at the end of all this in TN sounds not too bad. 

We certainly better be saving a whole lot of lives if this "safer at home" strategy should last till 3rd quarter.

Of course.

There are certainly states where we’ll have data in a few weeks.  Tennessee is probably an example where you’ve got stricter measures in some cities than you do the state at large.

Mississippi, Florida, and Texas are others.

If in a couple of weeks we see more rural/non-metro outbreaks like Albany, Georgia and Lander, Wyoming, you’ll certainly have a lot more people asking what their governors were waiting for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1