SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Sometimes simple is effective :cool:

beans-and-eggs.jpgjpg host

That's the budget version.  I got a to-go order from Pharmacy Burger in East Nashville and added a side of beer cheese with my tots.  Trust me, it's some rocket fuel grade social distancing enforcement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Grim prediction  stats indeed:

IHME (same modeling source White House team is relying on, charts shown during update today), projects for TENNESSEE:

Peak of infections:  Apr 26

Hospital Bed Shortage: 11,000+

ICU Bed Shortage: 2,200+

Total COVID-19 deaths projected to August 4, 2020 in Tennessee:  4,985

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

(see drop down menu by state on top of page - the way site is coded, I can't seem to do specific TN link)

- OS

Hmmm...interesting, stats revised now. All less dire.  Peak predicted earlier.

Peak of infections:  Apr 19

Hospital Bed Shortage: 7,133

ICU Bed Shortage: 1,672

Total COVID-19 deaths projected to August 4, 2020 in Tennessee:  3,259

- OS

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

I'm reminded of No Country for Old Men:

Just how dangerous is he?"

"Compared to what? The bubonic plague?"

😉

- OS

We lose 1,300 Tennesseans a month to heart disease and another 1,300 a month to cancer.. I'm trying to keep things in perspective. If we make it through the first 6 months of a highly contagious pandemic and only lose 5,000 people I feel like it could have been a lot worse. It certainly appears other states are going to do a lot worse. Again, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

Edited by Erik88
37 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Hmmm...interesting, stats revised now. All less dire.  Peak predicted earlier.

Peak of infections:  Apr 19

Hospital Bed Shortage: 7,133

ICU Bed Shortage: 1,672

Total COVID-19 deaths projected to August 4, 2020 in Tennessee:  3,259

- OS

That's actually the second change since I saw your original post.  When I opened the link last night, it had a little better numbers than what you posted.  Clearily this site is getting updated quite often!  I like the trend.  It's seems to be pointing in the same direction as the Kinsa Health data someone also linked yesterday. My fingers are crossed!

On another note, my 401K has rebounded about 5% over the last week or so. Another trend I hope we continue to see go north, Today looks like it might nose dive, though.  I think oil is going to weigh more heavily on the market for a while, than COVID-19.

And on another note, this is supposed to be a Survival and Prep thread, yet I haven't seen much about that particular aspect of the Pandemic.  Anyone looked at fine tuning their preparations for TEOTWAWKI?  Any lessons learned, besides stock up on TP? :D 

42 minutes ago, Moped said:

And on another note, this is supposed to be a Survival and Prep thread, yet I haven't seen much about that particular aspect of the Pandemic.  Anyone looked at fine tuning their preparations for TEOTWAWKI?  Any lessons learned, besides stock up on TP? :D 

I think this deserves to be a separate thread. I'll start it.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Moped said:

I'm a minimalist survivalist, but I can shut the door and not open it for at about 9 months or so if necessary, assuming the water supply remains okay.

And that's from an apartment!

- OS

• Like 1

For those in the local area who use Midsouth Shooters Supply.

Local Customer Pick-Up Service (Temporarily Closed) -

Due to the newest mandate by Montgomery County, TN and the City of Clarksville and abiding by their recommendations, until April 30, 2020 we will no longer be able to allow Local Pick-Ups. Please check back for any updates on our retail room. This means that all orders MUST be shipped. Please continue to check our website or social media for updates on our local Pick-Up Room status. 

Important! If you have an order waiting for pickup that you would like shipped to you, please call in to our customer service staff at 931-368-5021 or by email pickup@midsouthshooterssuppyly.com between the hours of 8:30am to 5:00pm and they will assist you.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we do appreciate your understanding as well as your business.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/articles/covid-update.aspx

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I still believe that if we leave the economy shut down for much longer, Corona deaths are going to pale in comparison to starvation and suicides.

You can't just shut an entire country down.

But they have to have someone to blame. It’s no different than the anti-gunners; you can manipulate the numbers to mean and project anything you want. Now everyone’s a medical experts, and the real medical experts are lying because Trump told them to.

While you are looking in the mirror, there is no need to blame yourself. Repeat after me…China did this, and no matter how hard they try, no one can blame this on Me, Trump or the Governors.

Were we prepared for something like this? No, and we won’t be next time either. What do all you medical experts think should have been done, now that you have the benefit of hindsight?

We still have some brave Americans going to work and doing their job to feed us and keep us safe. Will that last another month with the rest of the country shut down? I do not know; but I have my doubts.

Have I seen a change in Trump? Yes. I have seen him go from what I think was “We have to open the country back up and get people to work or our country will be in economic collapse.” To “The Doctors have convinced me that if we do that everyone will die, I hope to God we can make it 30 more days.”

BTW…I thought this wasn’t supposed to turn into a conspiracy theories thread? That’s exactly what it’s turned into. Hopefully the people trying to find answers aren’t blinded by hate; if they are many more will needlessly die, some by the virus, some by the economic collapse that will soon bring us to our knees if we don’t stop standing around hand wringing.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

Competent governance matters, y’all.

Despite the fact that the current captain of this ship is historically unprepared and unqualified - the hull of this ship has been rotting away for a while. 

The Chinese can blame Xi Jinping. We can partially blame the Chinese for underreporting - but it’s not like that we don’t know that’s within their standard operating parameters.

The Iranians can blame the mullahs.

But we’ve got ourselves to blame. Our partisan - what’s good for my side must necessarily be bad for your side - one-upsmanship has left us unprepared. 

• Like 3
  • Administrator
13 hours ago, bud said:

I know Trump could've reacted to the problem more quickly by taking the advice of medical professionals to heart sooner (not that he has taken it to heart now), but weren't all quarantine measures taken by the states individually, and so doesn't credit/blame rest at the feet of the Governors for containing the spread of the virus? 

Was the health dept in TN watching this viral wave coming like a slow boat from China and adequately preparing themselves?

Is Gov. Lee implementing strong enough travel restrictions? 70 people per county dying at the end of all this in TN sounds not too bad. 

We certainly better be saving a whole lot of lives if this "safer at home" strategy should last till 3rd quarter.

Logically one can assume that there are people and organizations that I'm going to just call "COVID response personnel" across the strata of Federal, State, and Local governments and various sectors of research science and medical fields that are privvy to more information than the public gets to see. 

There are things that sound borderline conspiratorial and make a reader start rolling their eyes and scrolling ahead... so that's fine if someone feels that way about what I am going to say next.  I do have proof early-on in this thread where I alluded to some things that I couldn't talk about at the time that then about a 7-10 days later were made public.  So, maybe a little credibiltiy there?

Trump has started to show more transparency lately, and I think it's because we are getting close to the time when a lot of models predict that the situation is about to get really, really REAL.  I think this careful management of information and the rate at which it is flowing out to us has been wisely designed to keep the thin veneer of civility stuck onto our society. 

First, some of the data is so dynamic and changes so rapidly that it looks like chaos when you plot it on a chart.  Statisticians need time to process it, modulate and normalize it.  If you try to "accept it" in real time, your response to it would be very manic.  High today, low tomorrow.   Hell, we've seen that with Trump during the daily White House briefings over the past week.   I figure he's been getting the daily flood of data and it's had an effect.

BUT... back to our Governor:

He's an entrepneur and a good businessman.  He's a solid Christian.  I know because I go to church with him and have had him literally turn around in a service on a Sunday, look me dead in the eye and say, "I don't know why but I really feel like I'm supposed to pray for you.  Can I?"  He's the real deal when it comes to his faith and I see a lot of folks on social media mock him for it, or they question his sincerity and assume he's a Christian for the sake of show.  Not the case.

He's also what you'd probably just call an American.  From what I've seen, he believes in the Constitution, he believes in the burden of leadership, and he's got experts in various areas advising him.  While I'd still love to see some movement toward Constitutional Carry in Tennessee, he's not a single-topic governor and we don't have single-topic problems these days.

My gut feeling -- and it's just that... not insider info -- is that he's been determined to walk the delicate balance between dropping the hammer and limiting a lot of civil liberties to control a crisis, and pulling the right levers at the right time, to keep the economy moving in Tennessee while managing down the potential for people to further propagate the virus.  I think the "slow walk" toward big brash moves is just him being careful and reluctant to stomp on our freedoms.

Take that for what it's worth.

Last nugget for those of you who read this far:  This isn't from my professional life either so I don't mind sharing.  Based on what a surgeon at a very well-regarded local hospital told me yesterday, to my face, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Music City Center turned into a makeshift Coronavirus hospital very soon.  Probably one of those things the government is doing behind the scenes that we're not all aware of.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Let me guess...by not electing Hillary Clinton?

I’m not saying Hillary would have overall been a better president over the last 3years, she has her own host of problems and may or may not have been the lesser of two evils on Election Day in 2016.

However, I do think she would have approached the pandemic head on and not tried to down-play the possible threat and put out constant rosy picture at the beginning. She also would have had ALL her cabinet positions filled with people who she with whom she would have been working with for 3 years, not a constant revolving door of the “yes-men of the moment”.

the Pandemic Committee would not have been disbanded last year, out imbedded CDC rep in China would have been there when the epidemic started in China and we would have had a better “head start”.

Trump has said repeatedly that “no one could have seen this coming” which may be one of his biggest lies to date. Not only did his transition team go through this scenario before taking office, there were other “war games” run in the last year that directly addressed the EXACT scenario we are facing. And the Trump Administration not only ignored the recommendations but did not care about them. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Dislike 2
24 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I’m not saying Hillary would have overall been a better president over the last 3years, she has her own host of problems and may or may not have been the lesser of two evils on Election Day in 2016.

However, I do think she would have approached the pandemic head on and not tried to down-play the possible threat and put out constant rosy picture at the beginning. She also would have had ALL her cabinet positions filled with people who she with whom she would have been working with for 3 years, not a constant revolving door of the “yes-men of the moment”.

the Pandemic Committee would not have been disbanded last year, out imbedded CDC rep in China would have been there when the epidemic started in China and we would have had a better “head start”.

Trump has said repeatedly that “no one could have seen this coming” which may be one of his biggest lies to date. Not only did his transition team go through this scenario before taking office, there were other “war games” run in the last year that directly addressed the EXACT scenario we are facing. And the Trump Administration not only ignored the recommendations but did not care about them. 

I'm at a loss for words :dropjaw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

You ain’t wrong... I hate Hillary but....in this instance she would have done a much better job.  I’m a trump voter but anyone who thinks he didn’t F this all up has their head in the sand.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

You ain’t wrong... I hate Hillary but....in this instance she would have done a much better job.  I’m a trump voter but anyone who thinks he didn’t F this all up has their head in the sand.

In the interest of taking the good with the bad but being honest about the situation, this is an accurate assessment. On the flipside, she also would’ve been much more competent in pivoting this crisis into a bigger power grab for the government against our civil liberties. 

• Like 7
Just now, Chucktshoes said:

In the interest of taking the good with the bad but being honest about the situation, this is an accurate assessment. On the flipside, she also would’ve been much more competent in pivoting this crisis into a bigger power grab for the government against our civil liberties. 

My mom called me recently. She voted for Trump once and likely will again. Her exact words were "Trump has been great for the economy, but he's the last person you want to guide us through a pandemic." I've since had a few Trump supporting friends text me and say they can't believe how much he's lied during these press conferences. 

As for your last sentence, let's not forget it's Trump's DOJ(the same one he demanded ban bump stocks) that has already asked for the ability to detain people indefinitely without trial.  We'll never know what Hillary would or wouldn't do but we can see what Trump appointed Bill Barr is trying to do. Thankfully Rand Paul and a few others are trying to stop it. 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you think the Patriot Act was bad, just look at all the stuff they tried to piggyback into the stimulus bill. 

• Like 5
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, peejman said:

If you think the Patriot Act was bad, just look at all the stuff they tried to piggyback into the stimulus bill. 

I do and I did. Not happy with either. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

You can’t reasonably assume that Hillary would be able to operate as some type of force all by herself.

Heck, a lot of our current Congress was built with the specific goal of limiting Obama to being a one term president. When they failed at that, they immediately pivoted to stopping Hillary. Had she won in 2016 - she would have been met with investigations day one. She would have been hamstrung from the get go.

The ironic thing was how ineffective the GOP truly was once they got their hands on all the levers of power for two years.

You get the government you deserve, I guess.

• Like 1

I don’t think Trump F this up. He has experts he is listening to; he isn’t a Doctor. He tried to keep people calm; I guess some think that was a mistake, and maybe it was. He’s now seen many folks are too stupid to follow recommendations unless someone is power is ranting. Maybe he should have started ranting about how dangerous this was from the beginning. Of course, then our Trump hating friends would be complaining because Martial Law would have already been enacted; and probably will be if this lasts another month.

Let’s scare the food industry into shutting down to protect their workers, that’s already happening. How does anyone think that will work out?

I’m pretty sure my head isn’t in the sand. I will say this: When 911 happened, I was too old to go back in the military and help out. I’m 65 and retired, I’ve never worked in the food industry, but I’m a Toolmaker and CNC programmer, so I can probably run a machine or do something in a food processing plant. I am more than willing to go do that if they need me; and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

• Like 2