SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MacGyver said:

I don't think IPB will let me push native Javascript to the page - with good reason - but the following visualization is worth your time.  It shows COVID-19 going from 0 to the third leading cause of death in the US in 31 days.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1727839/

But if you look at the date it ended as 3# yesterday. It is nowhere near #3,

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don't think IPB will let me push native Javascript to the page - with good reason - but the following visualization is worth your time.  It shows COVID-19 going from 0 to the third leading cause of death in the US in 31 days.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1727839/

Fake News!  Everyone knows Homicide by Assault Rifles is the leading cause of death in the United States. 🙄

Obviously, I badly joking, but the Press in this country sure would like us all to believe that.

You won't hear the news say this either concerning deaths in Tn. or the U.S.A. Last numbers I could find 2017 there was 12,140 abortions in Tennessee, that averages 33 per day. In 2008 it was 19,550 averaged 53.5 per day. So if the abortion clinics stay closed for 90 days it will save 2,970 people in Tennessee. It is all how you look at things.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Dirtshooter said:

You won't hear the news say this either concerning deaths in Tn. or the U.S.A. Last numbers I could find 2017 there was 12,140 abortions in Tennessee, that averages 33 per day. In 2008 it was 19,550 averaged 53.5 per day. So if the abortion clinics stay closed for 90 days it will save 2,970 people in Tennessee. It is all how you look at things.

The abortion clinics are suing Texas over their being shut down.

• Angry 1

Those of you still working better not spend your stimulus checks right away. My wife's company has cut her salary for the next two weeks by about the same amount that she'd be getting in the stimulus check. :mad:

I guess that I should be thankful that she still has a job.

• Angry 3
Just now, E4 No More said:

The abortion clinics are suing Texas over their being shut down.

Let them sue, we can print more money, we can't bring back those aborted babies.

Plus in 2017 in the U.S. we aborted 862,320 babies, so if this Covid-19 kills less than that I guess we are on the plus side. In 2017 18% of all pregnancies were aborted.

• Sad 2
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

God ain't very happy with us right now.

I have said this many times. God let His chosen people wander in the desert for 40 years a walk they could have done in a week. Now if He let them suffer in the desert for 40 years, don't you think he will make us suffer for a bit over the millions of abortions??

• Like 2
  • Administrator
32 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Those of you still working better not spend your stimulus checks right away. My wife's company has cut her salary for the next two weeks by about the same amount that she'd be getting in the stimulus check. :mad:

I guess that I should be thankful that she still has a job.

I'm sitting here trying to understand how you cut salary temporarily without ending up on the losing side of a Labor Relations Board suit.

Companies use salaried positions expecting to be able to flex into overtime hours without having to pay overtime wages.  The trade-off is that they also agree to pay the same salaried rate if they retain the worker but give them less hours.  The only way around that is to sever the employment agreement and establish a new one or just sever the employer-employee relationship.

• Like 3

Well Comrades, I have some good news!

Apparently my standing in the Party is acceptable as I have been granted Letters of Transit by the Bureau of Identifying Essential Services.

Get out of Jail card?

Reading some internet news, if true:

Citizens are fined for going out

Criminals are being released 

Rhode Island is going door-to-door and looking for out-of-state plates to round up New Yorkers and those from Jersey

LA has been tracking cell phones to enforce shelter-in-place.

New York is planning on delaying / rescheduling elections.

Right to any kind of assembly is being curtailed.

How do I get tested to prove I'm negative and don't pose a health risk to the public good?

In case you want to know about Letters of Transit and one way to acquire them

Regarding the God ain't happy comment, if we lay it at his feet and want to hold Him accountable, just remember, if He led us to it, He will lead us through it.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I missed it. What was it, and which group?

Funding for the Kennedy Center, who got it and laid off their staff.

Funding for new Green Deal projects.

More money for planned Parenthood

Erik, I am sure the other side of the aisle tried and got some stuff in as well.

It is 2 Trillion, what's can few hundred thou or mil among friends.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Funding for the Kennedy Center, who got it and laid off their staff.

Funding for new Green Deal projects.

More money for planned Parenthood

Erik, I am sure the other side of the aisle tried and got some stuff in as well.

It is 2 Trillion, what's can few hundred thou or mil among friends.

I  gotcha. I heard about all that. He mentioned the Patriot Act so I thought it had something to do with losing freedom/liberty.  

@No_0ne had a good summary on that funding in another thread. 

On 3/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, No_0ne said:

I think it's pretty amazing how little pork is in that bill, assuming the article is correct.  If you total the items the author lists as "lard", it comes to $675 million.  For a Federal spending bill, that's not much.  In fact, $675 million represents only .0056% of the $2 trillion total.  In government, that's about as "fat-free" as you're going to see ...

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I'm sitting here trying to understand how you cut salary temporarily without ending up on the losing side of a Labor Relations Board suit.

Companies use salaried positions expecting to be able to flex into overtime hours without having to pay overtime wages.  The trade-off is that they also agree to pay the same salaried rate if they retain the worker but give them less hours.  The only way around that is to sever the employment agreement and establish a new one or just sever the employer-employee relationship.

I can't figure out how they think this'll square with the Labor Relations Board either. Her company, Gibson Brands, (who went through bankruptcy a couple of years ago), furloughed all of the manufacturing jobs in the US and gave them $1,000 severance. Salaried employees got the 10% reduction in salary across the board. I guess the investors figure that the salaried employees will be thankful that they still have a job and not complain. Their biggest retailer, Guitar Center, is being pushed over the edge of bankruptcy, and they account for about 65% of Gibson's sales. 

I'm sitting here praying that the VA will get off their butts and give me a good rating after my Compensation & Pension exam last December. If I get a good rating my wife can take a lesser position closer to where we live. It would also see us through if she gets laid off too.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I missed it. What was it, and which group?

The guys have said most of what I had in mind. I also recall seeing an article with a democratic senator saying the stimulus bill was an opportunity for them to remake the laws in their vision.  

This isn't the same source I saw, but it covers it. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/republicans-want-a-lifeline-democrats-want-to-remake-the-country/

• Admin Team

Heck, there’s a lot more Democrats these days.  At least the way it’s colloquially defined, right?

I mean, y’all are all sitting at home. No one’s working.  Everyone’s waiting for the government to send them their check.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what’s going to be tacked onto the new $2T infrastructure bill announced yesterday.

No doubt National infrastructure is in serious need of repair but the government is going into a full blown spending frenzy.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I wonder what’s going to be tacked onto the new $2T infrastructure bill announced yesterday.

No doubt National infrastructure is in serious need of repair but the government is going into a full blown spending frenzy.

The version I heard was ran under the guise that we need never to be caught like this again. So we should apparently keep 1 of everything on hand for each member of the population. 

With each passing day I get the feeling the government thinks it's our new helicopter mom 🤔

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Trump made a good point about this being a good time with interest rates being so low. But holy sh*t guys. Can we take a pause for a minute? We've not even seen what the first $2T is gonna do.

It's like saying, well we've already screwed up the budget, we might as well go on a shopping spree... Toss in some new bridges here, a few dams there, maybe a new aircraft carrier. And the dems with sprinkle it with student loan forgiveness during checkout. 

• Like 2