SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Feds distribute thousands of masks, other supplies seized from hoarders during coronavirus pandemic

slippery-slope.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-hhs-distribute-nearly-200k-hoarded-ppe-supplies-to-nj-ny

I agree. But I also think people that hoard like this are complete jerks. I donated my masks to my local hospital last week and they were happy to have them. 

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Feds distribute thousands of masks, other supplies seized from hoarders during coronavirus pandemic

slippery-slope.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/doj-hhs-distribute-nearly-200k-hoarded-ppe-supplies-to-nj-ny

“The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.“ H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956) 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, RED333 said:

On the cutting pay thing.

The taking pay thing was in Texas and of course went through the internet like wildfire. But not so much interest when the company backed off and apologized for their ill-advised plan.

https://kfor.com/news/company-apologizes-for-ill-advised-plan-to-dock-pay-of-workers-getting-stimulus-checks/

15 hours ago, RED333 said:

Any one heard if getting the virus at work is covered under works comp?

From their website it doesn’t appear Tennessee has addressed the issue yet. The Feds have. They say if their employment requires interaction with the public, cops, firemen, healthcare workers, etc. WC applies. However, they have insurance and it appears they will get their pay if off sick, so I don’t know what WC would do for them.

4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

“The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.“ H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956) 

You post some great stuff!:up:

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

"HHS is expected to pay the owner of the hoarded equipment pre-COVID-19 fair market value for the supplies."

As usual in a news story, we don’t know why they had them, why they didn’t ship them, or the story behind it. If they were doing it for price gouging; I would have not been as nice as HHS.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

"HHS is expected to pay the owner of the hoarded equipment pre-COVID-19 fair market value for the supplies."

As usual in a news story, we don’t know why they had them, why they didn’t ship them, or the story behind it. If they were doing it for price gouging; I would have not been as nice as HHS.

This isn’t meant in a derogatory manner, though I admit it can be interpreted as such but isn’t intended that way.-

Your tendency towards authoritarianism is what I would consider a known quantity. In the current crisis it seems that you have garnered a lots of new friends on all sides of the political spectrum to your viewpoint. While I may be coming around a bit more to your ideas on domestic production of goods and use of resources, I will still continue to value human freedom over an orderly society.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This isn’t meant in a derogatory manner, though I admit it can be interpreted as such but isn’t intended that way.-

Your tendency towards authoritarianism is what I would consider a known quantity. In the current crisis it seems that you have garnered a lots of new friends on all sides of the political spectrum to your viewpoint. While I may be coming around a bit more to your ideas on domestic production of goods and use of resources, I will still continue to value human freedom over an orderly society.

🙃 Oh, I know how you feel about law enforcement and I still think you are a decent guy; even though I don’t agree with some of your views. As a moderator, you aren’t quick to fire on a cop or former cop for remarks they make when they are fired on.

Some folks have problems with authority in any form, Parents, Teachers, Military Officers and Cops. Other folks are specific problems, like with cops. I always assume there is a backstory that we may never know.

I’m pro law enforcement, I made no apologies for that. I support my local Police, and they get the benefit of the doubt when something is in question; I’ve said that many times and make no apologies for that either.

Having said that, as you know, I have also always said that when I was a Police Officer I could enforce the law, and did, without violating anyone’s constitutional rights. Your rights end where another’s begin; too many people don’t understand or agree with that.

:cheers:

• Moderators
Just now, DaveTN said:

I just thought of this… when I was a cop and the weather was too bad for folks to go out, like 20 below zero, we would be detailed from one family fight to the next. I wonder if that’s happening now? :)

I would almost guarantee it. I mean, we’re how many weeks into this quarantine? Divorce lawyers are about to be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

• Haha 1
  • Admin Team
9 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I just thought of this… when I was a cop and the weather was too bad for folks to go out, like 20 below zero, we would be detailed from one family fight to the next. I wonder if that’s happening now? :)

I'd almost guarantee it.

We work with a counseling organization that did more telehealth based counseling sessions last week than it had ever done in a prior week in person - and it was larger by a magnitude of scale.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the word that someone we know passed from Covid-19 today. Worked with my wife, but she had not been around him for a week before she started working at home and has been working from home for 2 weeks. Even more sobering when you have met the person.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
34 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Governor Lee is announcing mandatory stay at home now.

I'm trying to understand what exactly has changed. It sounds like this still only applies to non-essential workers and the list of essential is huge.

Essential:

• Health care and public health operations
  • Human services operations
  • Essential infrastructure operations
  • Essential government operations, functions
  • Food and medicine stores
  • Food and beverage productions and agriculture
  • Organizations that provide charitable and social services
  • Religious and ceremonial functions
  • Media
  • Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation
  • Financial institutions and insurance facilities
  • Hardware and supply stores
  • Critical trades
  • Mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery and pick-up services
  • Educational institutions (consistent with Exec. Order nos. 17 & 21)
  • Laundry services
  • Restaurants for off-premises consumption
  • Supplies to work from home
  • Supplies for essential business operations
  • Transportation
  • Home-based care and services
  • Residential facilities and shelters
  • Professional services
  • Manufacturing, distribution and supply chain for critical products and industries
  • Hotels and motels
  • Funeral services

Edited by Erik88
8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm trying to understand what exactly has changed. It sounds like this still only applies to non-essential workers and the list of essential is huge.

Essential:

• Health care and public health operations
  • Human services operations
  • Essential infrastructure operations
  • Essential government operations, functions
  • Food and medicine stores
  • Food and beverage productions and agriculture
  • Organizations that provide charitable and social services
  • Religious and ceremonial functions
  • Media
  • Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation
  • Financial institutions and insurance facilities
  • Hardware and supply stores
  • Critical trades
  • Mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery and pick-up services
  • Educational institutions (consistent with Exec. Order nos. 17 & 21)
  • Laundry services
  • Restaurants for off-premises consumption
  • Supplies to work from home
  • Supplies for essential business operations
  • Transportation
  • Home-based care and services
  • Residential facilities and shelters
  • Professional services
  • Manufacturing, distribution and supply chain for critical products and industries
  • Hotels and motels
  • Funeral services

Honestly, I think it makes what we've seen here in Knoxville and Nashville mandatory for all counties.  I've heard family report that Carter county folks have been doing all things as-usual like nothing is happening.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Honestly, I think it makes what we've seen here in Knoxville and Nashville mandatory for all counties.  I've heard family report that Carter county folks have been doing all things as-usual like nothing is happening.  

Well you gotta know Carter County... Nothing there surprises me. 

• Haha 1