SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Administrator
On 4/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, TGO David said:

Last nugget for those of you who read this far:  This isn't from my professional life either so I don't mind sharing.  Based on what a surgeon at a very well-regarded local hospital told me yesterday, to my face, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Music City Center turned into a makeshift Coronavirus hospital very soon.  Probably one of those things the government is doing behind the scenes that we're not all aware of.

Governor Lee announced this today.

• Like 2

Am I correct in reading that this EO is effective immediately?

Aaaand - if I can drive 3 minutes to my private boat ramp and go catch crappie to eat, is that the same as going grocery shopping in the eyes of this EO?

I am FOR social distancing and have been advocating since the first of March that folks isolate, but I do not like the generic force-of-law house arrest vibe.  There seems to be a LOT left open to interpretation - for something that carries, supposedly, the force of law.

Am I wrong?

bottom line: I would hope that one could travel reasonable distances to recreate in isolation with one's immediate household.  Is this allowance coming to an end?

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Peace said:

bottom line: I would hope that one could travel reasonable distances to recreate in isolation with one's immediate household.  Is this allowance coming to an end?

I think this is probably like a lot of things in life:  It's only against the law if you get caught. 

Just own it as a decision you made consciously if you do get caught.

• Like 2
On 4/1/2020 at 1:58 PM, MacGyver said:

I don't think IPB will let me push native Javascript to the page - with good reason - but the following visualization is worth your time.  It shows COVID-19 going from 0 to the third leading cause of death in the US in 31 days.

This is why we're concerned:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1727839

iS THERE A LIVE VERSION OR UPDATED VERSION OF THIS?

• Admin Team
9 minutes ago, Defender said:

iS THERE A LIVE VERSION OR UPDATED VERSION OF THIS?

I'm not the author of the above, but looking at the underlying code, it seems to be live to (n-1) days. So, it should push up to yesterday's data each day.

I don't know what time of day that push happens.

Here's the underlying source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Peace said:

Am I correct in reading that this EO is effective immediately?

Aaaand - if I can drive 3 minutes to my private boat ramp and go catch crappie to eat, is that the same as going grocery shopping in the eyes of this EO?

Alright, I was partly jesting when I made my previous reply.  Here is the factual statement taken from Executive Order #23 and Executive Order #22.  Note that there are two links there and that EO #23 only replaces the first numbered list item in EO #22 and changes it from people being urged to stay at home to being required to stay at home.

That said, fishing seems to be allowed for the time being as an essential recreational activity.

Actual text from EO #22 in photo.  This section, per EO #23, remains unmodified.

image.png

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Alright, I was partly jesting when I made my previous reply.  Here is the factual statement taken from Executive Order #23 and Executive Order #22.  Note that there are two links there and that EO #23 only replaces the first numbered list item in EO #22 and changes it from people being urged to stay at home to being required to stay at home.

That said, fishing seems to be allowed for the time being as an essential recreational activity.

Actual text from EO #22 in photo.  This section, per EO #23, remains unmodified.

image.png

Good dam n thing. I gotta walk my dog.......

• Haha 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, FrankD said:

What else you got in that crystal ball of yours sir?

Not much else of any public significance right now.

My company made some internal adjustments this week to keep people employed and on the front lines fighting this virus and helping save people's lives.  Our CEO is giving up 100% of his salary for the next few months and the leadership team that reports to him are giving up hefty portions of their salaries.  The rest of us that aren't on the front lines are going to give up between 10-20% of ours for the next few months time to contribute to the war chest to buy PPE and pay wages.

My wife and oldest daughter are both nurses, and my daughter is pregnant with her first child.  My first grandchild.  I can't imagine asking them to go do their jobs and risk their health (and the health of my daughter's baby) for me to sit back and not make some sacrifices as well.  Especially if mine means they get paid, get N95 masks, face shields, nitrile gloves, etc. and the patients they're caring for get the care they need.

We may yet experience what the Greatest Generation did when they gave up personal property so that the war effort could have the raw materials (rubber, copper, brass, etc.) it needed for victory.  For now, me losing some pay but staying employed so that a war of a different type can be fought seems pale in comparison.  I have no complaints.

I feel terribly for those who aren't as lucky right now and are either sick, know someone close who is, have lost someone, or have lost their job.

There but by the grace of God, go I.

This may mean little to some of you, but I'm praying for all of you daily now.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Well you gotta know Carter County... Nothing there surprises me. 

2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

oh I know it, and it doesn't surprise me either

My wife and her family are from Carter Co.  I'm getting lots of fun info from them about the shenanigans there. At least her family is actually concerned and staying inside, despite many of the other yahoos around them.  They actually sent us a care package of Clorox wipes that no one there was really concerned about buying,  I guess.

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

As I pay in every year for 5 years now I have to wait for the portal to open to get my bank info to the IRS.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The taking pay thing was in Texas and of course went through the internet like wildfire. But not so much interest when the company backed off and apologized for their ill-advised plan.

https://kfor.com/news/company-apologizes-for-ill-advised-plan-to-dock-pay-of-workers-getting-stimulus-checks/

From their website it doesn’t appear Tennessee has addressed the issue yet. The Feds have. They say if their employment requires interaction with the public, cops, firemen, healthcare workers, etc. WC applies. However, they have insurance and it appears they will get their pay if off sick, so I don’t know what WC would do for them.

Dave, the company I work for did cut salary pay by 10 to 30%. Hourly gets hours cut, In the past 2 days I am short 4 hours and have 3 days in this pay period left. If there is no work I stay home.

Thanks for the reply about the WC thing.

31 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Dave, the company I work for did cut salary pay by 10 to 30%. Hourly gets hours cut, In the past 2 days I am short 4 hours and have 3 days in this pay period left. If there is no work I stay home.

Thanks for the reply about the WC thing.

I’m not an attorney, but I would guess they can cut your pay if you both agree to it. If you were advised of it, given the opportunity to quit, and you didn’t agree with it, you should have quit. If your hours are in dispute; you have a civil case.

I’m not trying to be cold about it, but you mentioned “Right To Work”, that has to do with requiring you to pay union dues or join a union, and little (if anything) to do with this. Tennessee is an “Employment At Will” state. If you don’t have an employment contract; your employer can let you go for any reason, or for no reason.

This is going to be bad. Companies are going to go bankrupt and when its over people will be trying to return to jobs that are no longer there. This administration is trying everything they can to help people to get by and to keep businesses afloat. But 50% of congress only cares about either making this administration look bad or using this emergency to get everything they want. They should be ashamed.

The press is making sure we all understand what heroes the medical folks are and what risks they are taking. That is very true. But there are American Workers that are going to work and don’t have N95 masks and protective gear. They are heroes also, because if everyone stays at home; we will die. I don't say that in jest; its a fact.

Thank you for going to work. I suspect you will be paid; one way or the other.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Dirtshooter said:

Ok Greg you can go fishing now. It is official!! Hope you catch a bunch.

😂  yes!!  Well, I'll live until I die  -- trying like heck to not take anyone else with me.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I’m not an attorney, but I would guess they can cut your pay if you both agree to it. If you were advised of it, given the opportunity to quit, and you didn’t agree with it, you should have quit. If your hours are in dispute; you have a civil case.

Yes, the salaried people were giving the option, take the cut or get furloughed.

No dispute, I get paid for the hours I work, I know not to work for free and my boss knows not to ask.

50 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Tennessee is an “Employment At Will” state.

I stand corrected, should have used the term “Employment At Will”.

12 hours ago, RED333 said:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

As I pay in every year for 5 years now I have to wait for the portal to open to get my bank info to the IRS.

It sounds like it has the potential to make a thief's dream come true. 

• Like 2