SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

Born and raised in Memphis back when it was a great city.  But it has changed a lot since those days. :( Got out about 28 years ago and have never regretted it. Just moved right next door, but its like a whole 'nother world. ;)

I'll readily admit that Memphis does have some truly wonderful people. Its the other 99% that give it a bad name.  :shake:

• Like 1

I agree about 2nd Harvest but the groups downstream from them are in need also. Our local down stream is JAMA, the Jonesborough Area Ministerial Association, it is the local food pantry but they have increased their hours and opened their doors to all of Washington county. Their food donations from local groceries have dropped way off and so has individual food donations so they have had to buy more food from 2nd Harvest and other sources.

I would hope as CoronaMania eventually starts to pass, people can realize their pantry is still full of all the just in case stuff they bought.  From there, should be easy to donate at least some of it to organizations that will be doing what they can to help those who need some time to let a job market come back so that can get a new pair of bootstraps to pull themselves up by. 

• Like 4

We gave to Second Harvest this week and my wife was in communication with their Director of Philanthropy, J. Renee Thompson, who said that food donations were down 43% from grocery stores.  With everyone buying so much in the grocery stores, there is little left over to give to Second Harvest, so yes, their need is REAL.  I have found Second Harvest to be a reputable charity in their use of funds, and at the end of the day, the most basic human need is food.  We plan to give again,

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Covid-19 passed cancer and heart disease as the leading causes of daily deaths in the US yesterday:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1727839/ 

We need more and better testing. 

I recognize that is bad but I am starting to wonder if we've done more harm to the economy than was necessary. 50% of all COVID deaths have been in NY and NJ. There has to be a better way to handle this if it pops back up in the fall. Other countries did a lot more testing and isolated people rather than shut down the entire country. It worked. Some of the US states that were not hit that hard might have been able to remain open for business. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in food at their local grocery store?  I typically shop at Kroger in Fountain city (Knoxville).  The last couple of times I've been in, a lot of their shelves are bare.  Not talking TP either. Mostly can goods and meat.  Eggs are real plentiful either.  Milk seems alright, but the frozen food department was maybe half full of stuff, when it's usually full.

16 minutes ago, Moped said:

Has anyone else noticed a decrease in food at their local grocery store?  I typically shop at Kroger in Fountain city (Knoxville).  The last couple of times I've been in, a lot of their shelves are bare.  Not talking TP either. Mostly can goods and meat.  Eggs are real plentiful either.  Milk seems alright, but the frozen food department was maybe half full of stuff, when it's usually full.

It's been like that for the past several weeks.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Moped said:

Are you surprised? Think of the percentage of Americans that only eat takeout, prepared frozen, and deli foods.

Now add in the paranoia factor and you've got all these people who can't cook rice hoarding any food they can find.

• Like 2

The words I would have to use to express my opinion on this is not allowed here :angry: When I first heard about it, I thought it was $600/month.

I just did the math on this. With 6.6M people drawing unemployment it comes to almost 4B a week.

An additional $600 per week in unemployment benefits has started going out as part of the coronavirus relief bill passed in March -- but the new payments, combined with state unemployment benefits, already are causing concern that some workers could be in a position to actually make more money by leaving their jobs.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/paid-to-quit-backlash-builds-against-unemployment-benefits-on-steroids

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
27 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

The words I would have to use to express my opinion on this is not allowed here :angry: When I first heard about it, I thought it was $600/month.

I just did the math on this. With 6.6M people drawing unemployment it comes to almost 4B a week.

An additional $600 per week in unemployment benefits has started going out as part of the coronavirus relief bill passed in March -- but the new payments, combined with state unemployment benefits, already are causing concern that some workers could be in a position to actually make more money by leaving their jobs.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/paid-to-quit-backlash-builds-against-unemployment-benefits-on-steroids

Already have business clients running into this issuewith employees. New excuse is afraid to work due to the virus. 

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

It's been like that for the past several weeks.

Actually, it was ok for a couple of weeks, with the exception of eggs, and paper products.  Can goods, milk and meat were almost back to normal levels.  Then I noticed this week , can goods became scarous.

1 hour ago, Raoul said:

Are you surprised? Think of the percentage of Americans that only eat takeout, prepared frozen, and deli foods.

Now add in the paranoia factor and you've got all these people who can't cook rice hoarding any food they can find.

Actually, the restaurants around here seem like they are doing a brisk business with takeiout.  Tried to get takeout at a local Japanese restaurant last night and couldn't get through on the phone.  So I went down to go through the drive thru and there was a line of cars all the way around the building.  Ended up getting Arby's, from across the street..  I was the third car in line there. 

My son is also a server at a local restaurant.  He was laid off for two weeks, then got called back in and has worked everyday since, but two.  He's doing VERY WELL with the tips!

• Like 1

Lots of places at running deals on takeout. Even like BK has this 3 cheeseburger, 3 whopper, 3 fry deal for $13.

I was past a Chili's last night and noticed they are doing curbside bar in their front to go parking.  Not sure how that works legaly, but I am sure not selling alcohol woukd slam their profit margin. 

Most are just trying to keep the business rolling in. I am sure they have a refuced staff due to not needing many servers. 

@Raoul is right thapt it is interesting to see people try to figure out how to do more than open a menu or at best a can. We know tons of familys that consider store bought hot dogs and frozen french fries home cooking. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The 11th person has died from Gallatin Center. News story’s say employees that said they were sick were told they had to come to work.

Surely to God, they could call in laid off Doctors, Nurses and Orderlys to come in and relieve the sick ones!  That's craziness right there, with possible criminal ramifications!!! 

56 minutes ago, Moped said:

Surely to God, they could call in laid off Doctors, Nurses and Orderlys to come in and relieve the sick ones!  That's craziness right there, with possible criminal ramifications!!! 

Well, it certainly has civil ramifications.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

News story’s say employees that said they were sick were told they had to come to work.

I learned many years ago, DO NOT GO TO WORK SICK, PERIOD. There are some people at the place I work at that came to work sick, well used to. We will see in the next few weeks, months years if this holds true.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I learned many years ago, DO NOT GO TO WORK SICK, PERIOD. There are some people at the place I work at that came to work sick, well used to. We will see in the next few weeks, months years if this holds true.

EXACTLY!   It took the insurance companies about 3 weeks to finally cover telehealth for mental health therapists and I was able to move my work home.  In the meantime when COVID-19 was cranking up, though we were asking people to self-monitor and cancel their appointment if running a fever or coughing, you wouldn't believe (then again, you would) how many showed up anyway as sick as can be . . .😳

On 4/7/2020 at 11:27 AM, DaveTN said:

Ya know, until this virus came about I had no idea you could take someone off the street, that wasn’t in the military, dress them up in a Navy Admirals uniform and call them the Surgeon General. Who knew??

That made me wonder what the heck those ribbons were for. So I learned something else I didn’t know. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_Public_Health_Service

Pardon the late quip, but is the surgeon general’s outfit any worse than police chiefs across the nation donning the 5 star insignia only worn by nine men who achieved the highest rank the US military offers?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

It just dawned on me the tremendous economic impact this situation is going to have on local and state governments that rely heavily on sales tax revenue.  No business, no sales tax revenue.  Less travel, less gas tax revenue, etc., etc.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Pardon the late quip, but is the surgeon general’s outfit any worse than police chiefs across the nation donning the 5 star insignia only worn by nine men who achieved highest rank the US military offers?

Sure, they are the highest-ranking Officer in their department, and don’t have anything to do with the military, 7-stars, 8-stars, 3 rows of five, whatever it takes. I didn’t mean there was anything wrong with it. I just had always thought it was a position of a top Navy Medical Officer. I did not know it is not a military position at all. So, when I realized that I wondered “What the hell are all those ribbons for?” So, I learned that also.

What made me look was I didn’t think he looked old enough or sounded smart enough to be a Navy Admiral. So I looked at his Bio. He’s one of the VP’s crew.

• Like 1