SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

We have derailed this thread but I had to laugh at Amash being called a democrat. That might be most factually wrong statement I've ever read on this forum. Even 15 seconds worth of research would have revealed this. 

• opposes abortion
  • voted to repeal Obamacare
  • Introduced an amendment that would require a balanced budget
  • pro 2nd amendment- he was a founding member of the 2nd Amendment caucus.
  • routinely speaks out against NSA surveillance programs 
  • "I follow a set of principles. I follow the Constitution. And that's what I base my votes on. Limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty." Justin Amash

image.png.887d64b930eab408253766c347f22cac.png

Sounds like such a liberal..... If people would be honest with themselves they would probably love this guy as president. 

Sounds like my kinda guy! I’m looking for a good third party guy to vote for. I do not like our choices again. Haven’t had a good choice sine 2004, in my book.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

We have derailed this thread but I had to laugh at Amash being called a democrat. That might be most factually wrong statement I've ever read on this forum. Even 15 seconds worth of research would have revealed this. 

• opposes abortion
  • voted to repeal Obamacare
  • Introduced an amendment that would require a balanced budget
  • pro 2nd amendment- he was a founding member of the 2nd Amendment caucus.
  • routinely speaks out against NSA surveillance programs 
  • "I follow a set of principles. I follow the Constitution. And that's what I base my votes on. Limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty." Justin Amash

image.png.887d64b930eab408253766c347f22cac.png

Sounds like such a liberal..... If people would be honest with themselves they would probably love this guy as president.

I believe you are incorrect in the bolded portion. A lot of folks like to posture that they care about the principles that Amash walks the walk on, but they don’t. Now, if they were honest they would admit that they really do want an authoritarian in charge, they just want their authoritarian in charge. They want to be taken care of by the government and they want the people they don’t like to get taken care of by the government. 

• Like 2

Fox News recently had Dr Fauci on and he cautioned against reopening the economy too soon. 

What does Fox do? They didn't like his answer so they get a 2nd opinion from Dr Phil. Dr Phil is not a medical doctor. He has a PhD in clinical psychology but his license was suspended in 2006. He's not even allowed to practice psychology. They'd be better off interviewing Dr Pepper. Think about what they are trying to do here. 

When @MacGyver said certain media outlets were lying about COVID, he was right.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Fox News recently had Dr Fauci on and he cautioned against reopening the economy too soon. 

What does Fox do? They didn't like his answer so they get a 2nd opinion from Dr Phil. Dr Phil is not a medical doctor. He has a PhD in clinical psychology but his license was suspended in 2006. He's not even allowed to practice psychology. They'd be better off interviewing Dr Pepper. Think about what they are trying to do here. 

When @MacGyver said certain media outlets were lying about COVID, he was right.

I no longer care about all that.  I just want a haircut.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
On 4/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, btq96r said:

If he goes through with this, the consiquences will be China having an increased role in shaping WHO policy because we won't be in their way.  If he was serious about this, he'd be increasing our stake in the organization so we can shape the agenda like an activist investor plusing up their position before a shareholder's vote.

Sir, I respectfully disagree.

What Trump is saying by removing all funding (and pulling back (out!) from UN, and other globalist organizations) is a continuation of his vision of America First, and a multi-polar political environment where we aren't the worlds Sugar Daddy.

Outfits like the WHO, UN, etc., are so incredibly corrupted and politicized they have become inneffective (case in point: WHO response to China's handling of epidemic virus). They're broken, irretrievably (IMHO). I'm not debating whether they are effective or not, as I feel you suggest (pour in more money so the organization leans our way). They need to be scrapped, torn down, possibly prosecuted, and replaced wholesale. I agree with Trumps response, we're all on the same playground everyone shares called "The World", and the game being played isn't run fairly. I'd take my ball and go home, too. Y'all can have your own game of whatever-the-hell-you-wanna-call-it, I'm going to go over here and see if these guys want to play basketball.

Just my take on the matter.

• Like 2
On 4/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, GlockSpock said:

Well...I don't realistically see any third party presidential candidate as being a real contender, at least anytime soon. I wish this wasn't the case. If third party candidates could provide a real threat, then perhaps the R's and the D's would find that they have an immediate and acute increase in hearing sensitivity.

I don't fault anyone for voting third party. Sure, it may as well be "throwing a vote away", etc etc etc. I've heard it all. But the truth that if more people (vastly more, I admit) voted 100% for someone that was a good candidate rather than "the less bad guy", we'd be much better off.

Just gotta get everyone to do it at the same time.

Due to the entrenched structural nature of our political machine, it'll never happen, but were it, you'd have even less functional "coalition" governments like you see in Europe (Green Party f'cked that place up, hmmm....).

Personally I'd rather see "None of the above" as an option.

I don't hire the 'least offensive' candidate for my company based on a date on the calendar : I keep looking until I find the right candidate to fill the role. Why is politics any different? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

What Trump is saying by removing all funding (and pulling back (out!) from UN, and other globalist organizations) is a continuation of his vision of America First, and a multi-polar political environment where we aren't the worlds Sugar Daddy.

QFT ;)

5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I don't hire the 'least offensive' candidate for my company based on a date on the calendar : I keep looking until I find the right candidate to fill the role. Why is politics any different? 

I believe that’s what happened with Trump. I doubt there is any other President in history where a large percentage of the voters that voted them in said “I don’t really like him as a person; but he is a good President.”.

Many here said they wanted a President that wasn’t a politician. That is exactly what we have. For some, I guess the “be careful what you ask for” now has more meaning. For others; they don’t think he is necessarily a “party” guy, and that’s all right too.

The Governor of Washington is already saying Trumps comments are urging “insubordination” and “illegal activity” by supporting demonstrators protesting stay-at-home orders in multiple states. Here we go again… 🙄

Trump also brought Virginia and the 2nd amendment into his comments about Governors overreaching.

"They are being unreasonable but I think Virginia is a great case though because they are using this, they are trying to take your guns away in Virginia and if people in Virginia aren't careful that's what's going to happen to them so yeah, I mean I could see where he's coming from," Trump said. "I think it's a strong statement, a strong statement because hopefully this will be over very soon for all of us but some have gotten carried away. They have absolutely gotten carried away."

"Is this the right time to kind of bring in a Second Amendment issue?" a Wall Street Journal reporter asked Trump.

"I think when they talk about taking your guns away and if you notice at the beginning of this pandemic there were more guns sold I think that at almost any time in history so it's obviously a big issue and then you have them working and signing documents trying to take your Second Amendment away essentially. So I do think it is an appropriate time to bring it up," Trump responded.

21 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

believe that’s what happened with Trump. I doubt there is any other President in history where a large percentage of the voters that voted them in said “I don’t really like him as a person; but he is a good President.”.

I can't recall a single instance of "He seems like a great guy, I'll vote for him."  It's always been "well, this one's better than nothing."

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, peejman said:

I can't recall a single instance of "He seems like a great guy, I'll vote for him."  It's always been "well, this one's better than nothing."

True.

6 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

True.

49 minutes ago, bud said:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/04/17/coronavirus-immunity-privilege-yellow-fever

Here's a 7 minute interview with the author of a book about yellow fever in Antebellum New Orleans, and how immunity/exposure and recovery (a la antibodies testing now) was a form of priviledge.  Very interesting correlations with the current pandemic. Some references to intentional exposure by the young and strong so that they could get work.

The antibodies test is going to be your ticket to ride, travel, work. For my family I hope we've been exposed and recovered, and can use the antibody test results in lieu of a required vaccination which lacks years of testing for side effects. 

I'd rather send the kids back to school with a letter that says "I'm immune", than one that says "I took the brand new vaccine".

Maybe we could tattoo a number on their hands and heads?:popcorn:

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm coming up on 7 weeks. My wife keeps joking that she'll do it for free. I don't trust her. 

There comes a point where just shaving it all off is the safest and most reasonable option. 

I’m quickly approaching that point. 

Just now, Chucktshoes said:

There comes a point where just shaving it all off is the safest and most reasonable option. 

I’m quickly approaching that point. 

If that point comes I'm gonna have some fun with it. I've always wanted to see what I look like with a mohawk. I'll only disappoint myself and my neighbors at least. 

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

If that point comes I'm gonna have some fun with it. I've always wanted to see what I look like with a mohawk. I'll only disappoint myself and my neighbors at least. 

You sure about that? I think there might be a wife in that list as well. 

• Like 1