SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

On 3/13/2020 at 9:20 PM, hipower said:

I agree. Sadly, most of ours are not like Vanessa and Charlie. Everybody is just so self absorbed anymore, and no desire to meet and really know each other.

Way too long since the term "neighbors" actually meant something more than just those people nest door that you wave to now and then.

OK...going to quote myself here to give a frame of reference.

A few days after the events of the above post, I met another young couple out walking. I was taking my dog Molly for her potty walk, and stopped to talk with the couple with a gorgeous little girl.

I introduced myself and Molly. Dave, said they had already met Molly, as she was always out to greet them and their little girl. I hadn't seen these guys before, however, Molly seems to know everyone in the neighborhood.

Anyway, after a bit of talk, Dave and his wife, Meredith said they had seen me as I hobbled around on my cane and decided to see how I was doing. Seems another neighbor had told them of my last knee surgery and the problems I'd been having. All the while, their little girl was playing with Molly. 

The stroll ended with them offering to shop for us as well.

So I guess my sad view of the "younger generation," at least those younger than me; is a bit off.

Well...on some of them anyway. Still a lot of numbnuts out there.

• Like 7
11 hours ago, hipower said:

A few days after the events of the above post, I met another young couple out walking. I was taking my dog Molly for her potty walk, and stopped to talk with the couple with a gorgeous little girl.

I introduced myself and Molly. Dave, said they had already met Molly, as she was always out to greet them and their little girl. I hadn't seen these guys before, however, Molly seems to know everyone in the neighborhood.

Anyway, after a bit of talk, Dave and his wife, Meredith said they had seen me as I hobbled around on my cane and decided to see how I was doing. Seems another neighbor had told them of my last knee surgery and the problems I'd been having. All the while, their little girl was playing with Molly. 

So I guess my sad view of the "younger generation," at least those younger than me; is a bit off.

I still believe there are more good folks out there than bad, and more that care than do not.

Unfortunately, the numbnuts in our society get top billing . . .

Edited by Luckyforward
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

I still believe there are more good folks out there than bad, and more that care than do not.

Unfortunately, the numbnuts in our society get top billing . . .

Well said, sir. Very well said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

There are lots of good people in this world. Sometimes I wonder if we’re all just too busy to notice.  

That's possible, maybe even likely.

But on whole, humanity has almost assuredly proven itself to stink. Time and time again, group/herd mentality presents the ugly side of people.

Individuals and small groups can and oft times can and will be good. Just not very often.

These little tidbits quoted from the Hipower's Book on how to steal and paraphrase the thoughts of Lazarus Long.

12 hours ago, hipower said:

@MacGyver I'm not too busy.

There was a story on the news of a young lady who was going into the grocery store when she heard a frail voice call out to her. She approached the car the voice came from to find a very old couple who were sitting there in tears. They had been sitting in their car for quite some time because they were terrified to go into the grocery store because of the virus. The young lady took their shopping list and went in to fulfill the list, and then come back to load their groceries.

There are definitely good people out there. We just hear more about the A-holes than anything else.

• Like 4
  • Admin Team
10 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

@MacGyver I'm not too busy.

There was a story on the news of a young lady who was going into the grocery store when she heard a frail voice call out to her. She approached the car the voice came from to find a very old couple who were sitting there in tears. They had been sitting in their car for quite some time because they were terrified to go into the grocery store because of the virus. The young lady took their shopping list and went in to fulfill the list, and then come back to load their groceries.

There are definitely good people out there. We just hear more about the A-holes than anything else.

Yeah, I think in a time like this maybe there’s a turn towards sharing stories of hope - that are always there.

I wonder if sometimes our “normal” ways of living day to day are sort of an error condition where we just don’t notice much more than is right in front of us - and focusing on the bad is sort of a protection mechanism to convince ourselves that we’re okay.

Humans are communal people. If I put a pastoral hat on, I’d say that “salvation comes to communities.” We need our people.

I’m thankful that despite all of this we get the chance to see some folks just being kind. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Admin Team

On a positive note - if there is one company in America that I would bet on to be able to look at it's supply chain and reduced capacity in its restaurants and just pivot to selling groceries - it would hands down be Waffle House:

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 2.29.19 PM.png

My kids saw this and we're like, "get in the truck - we're going to Waffle House."

• Like 3

I saw an article the other day.  But most everybody is focusing on the  lethality  of the virus. While its true that some people have mild symptoms and get over it just fine. Many survivors suffer from internal organ damage. Primarily lungs, but also some heart, kidney, etc.  Their full recovery will take a very long time, possibly years. Some will require care for this for the rest of their lives. 

So while everyone is concentrating on numbers of cases, deaths and recoveries. The long term effects of Covid-19  for survivors are hardly mentioned. Even though they survived the virus, their lives are changed forever.  This thing is taking a much bigger toll than we thought. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I saw an article the other day.  But most everybody is focusing on the  lethality  of the virus. While its true that some people have mild symptoms and get over it just fine. Many survivors suffer from internal organ damage. Primarily lungs, but also some heart, kidney, etc.  Their full recovery will take a very long time, possibly years. Some will require care for this for the rest of their lives. 

So while everyone is concentrating on numbers of cases, deaths and recoveries. The long term effects of Covid-19  for survivors are hardly mentioned. Even though they survived the virus, their lives are changed forever.  This thing is taking a much bigger toll than we thought. 

Normal bacterial pneumonia can damage the lungs. It leaves a 'ground glass" pattern on X-rays indicating the damage. Severe illness causes organ damage and they shut down. This is why I'm worried about the virus because I have stage 3 kidney failure. If I get it I'm most likely a goner.

15 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

That goes on every year. The 2017-2018 flu season left 61,000 dead in the U.S. any many left damaged for life. Did you know that? I didn’t know that before this happened. Why? Because it wasn’t important enough to shut down the economy.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That goes on every year. The 2017-2018 flu season left 61,000 dead in the U.S. any many left damaged for life. Did you know that? I didn’t know that before this happened. Why? Because it wasn’t important enough to shut down the economy.

Tweet Trump. Let him know. 

• Admin Team
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

The flu does kill a bunch of people every year. Some years are worse than others.

And, that's with both vaccines and therapeutic treatments that greatly mitigate annual flu effects.

Were those not present - you could have bad flu years that would kill hundreds of thousands or even millions of people worldwide.

The deal with this novel(new) coronavirus - is that there are no vaccines or effective therapeutic treatments yet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

The flu does kill a bunch of people every year. Some years are worse than others.

And, that's with both vaccines and therapeutic treatments that greatly mitigate annual flu effects.

Were those not present - you could have bad flu years that would kill hundreds of thousands or even millions of people worldwide.

The deal with this novel(new) coronavirus - is that there are no vaccines or effective therapeutic treatments yet. 

I understand that. I think most of us do. 

That's why hard choices are being made. 

10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

On a positive note - if there is one company in America that I would bet on to be able to look at it's supply chain and reduced capacity in its restaurants and just pivot to selling groceries - it would hands down be Waffle House:

My kids saw this and we're like, "get in the truck - we're going to Waffle House."

That's a fair price for some of those items.  The Hashbrowns are particularly appealing.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I wonder how much for lard?    They must have a stock pile of it since they're not cranking out the meals right now. 

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

20lbs of Bacon...Yes please...

• Admin Team

I also learned that an order of hashbrowns is cooked with a full scoop of their low melt oil (basically butter flavored Crisco).

Sadly, this has revealed the reason my hashbrown game has yet to rival Waffle House’s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I also learned that an order of hashbrowns is cooked with a full scoop of their low melt oil (basically butter flavored Crisco).

Sadly, this has revealed the reason my hashbrown game has yet to rival Waffle House’s. 

Some things are best left to professionals.  Though it does explain how they can be so damned delish with nothing more than a piece of slice cheese melted on top. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I use butter to cook hash-brown add crumbled sausage, and cheese to make ours.

• Like 1
  • Love 1