SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

The Guardian, just ran a hit piece on Tennessee’s reaction to COVID-19, comparing us to Kentucky, except the numbers don’t quite work out for them.  According to the Democrats and the Journalists, Gov. Beshear is the second coming of Christ and Savior of Kentucky!  As of this morning it looks like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/us-coronavirus-outbreak-tennessee-kentucky

Kentucky             4,467,673

Tests                   33,328  Latest Number as of April 19th Taken from a Politico Article

Confirmed          3,373  Latest Number as of April 23th

Recovered          653  Latest Number as of April 23th

Deaths               185  Latest Number as of April 23th

Tennessee          6,833,174 Estimated as of July 2019 Source Wikipedia

Tests                   114,980  Latest Number as of April 19th Taken from a Politico Article

Confirmed          7,875  Latest Number as of April 23th

Recovered          4,012  Latest Number as of April 23th 

Deaths               166  Latest Number as of April 23th

(Source of statistics from BING)

Edited by Moped
Correct KY Test numbers and credited Politico
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, Moped said:

The Guardian, just ran a hit piece on Tennessee’s reaction to COVID-19, comparing us to Kentucky, except the numbers don’t quite work out for them.  According to the Democrats and the Journalists, Gov. Beshear is the second coming of Christ and Savior of Kentucky!  As of this morning it looks like this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/us-coronavirus-outbreak-tennessee-kentucky

Kentucky             4,467,673

Tests                   3,328  Latest Number as of April 19th

Confirmed          3,373  Latest Number as of April 23th

Recovered          653  Latest Number as of April 23th

Deaths               185  Latest Number as of April 23th

Tennessee          6,833,174 Estimated as of July 2019 Source Wikipedia

Tests                   114,980  Latest Number as of April 19th

Confirmed          7,875  Latest Number as of April 23th

Recovered          4,012  Latest Number as of April 23th 

Deaths               166  Latest Number as of April 23th

(Source of statistics from BING)

I agree with you but I'm seeing KY has done 33,075 tests.  That still far less than the amount of tests TN has done. And it's frustrating all these media outlets have to distort the facts to prove their agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Another 4.4 million first time jobless claims last week.

27 million Americans have filed since March 1.

That puts us just shy of 20% unemployment - or double the Great Recession.

For perspective, we were at 3.5% at the beginning of March.

And, Congress is out until May 4.

19 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I agree with you but I'm seeing KY has done 33,075 tests.  That still far less than the amount of tests TN has done. And it's frustrating all these media outlets have to distort the facts to prove their agenda. 

Corrected and I attributed Politico for the Test Numbers.

Erik, I agree with you!  Journalists need to report the facts and quit trying to promote an agenda.  In my mind, when they start pushing agendas, they become spokespersons rather than Journalists.

And if I ma being honest, when Beshear made his statement about hiw Kentuckians should stay out of Tennessee, because we were doing it all wrong, back in March, I thought that was WAY, WAY out of line.  When you look at the numbers, Beshear has a ton of egg on his face and his crediblity is shot in my book.  Not that I really coiunt or anything.

Edited by Moped
9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Another 4.4 million first time jobless claims last week.

27 million Americans have filed since March 1.

That puts us just shy of 20% unemployment - or double the Great Recession.

For perspective, we were at 3.5% at the beginning of March.

And, Congress is out until May 4.

Congress should have never been allowed to go home.  They should have been forced to stay in Washington and work.  Bunch of cowards is what they are.  This is not how leadership works! 

As for the unemployment numbers, I'm not shocked.  That's what happens when you shut the economy down for 6 weeks or longer.  I figure it will get worse over the next month, then level out.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

In no form do I intend for any of the following to support, promote, or insinuate any conspiratorial thinking or conspiracy theories regarding the origination source of COVID-19, henceforth referred to the virus. I do sincerely want the questions I ask answered, hopefully by people that have a better understanding of these things than I.

I'm essentially basing the entirety of this conversation on the official WHO Timeline, found here.

December 31st was when China reported to WHO that there was a cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan.

Now, today we are showing February 17th as being the first confirmed death from the virus in the United States. What isn't completely clear is whether she contracted the virus domestically or internationally. For my argument, it doesn't matter. Here is the article I'm referring to.

The difference in time between those days is roughly 48 days. Keep in mind December 31st was only 114 days ago. So within roughly 48 days the virus had spread to the United States in one form or fashion and killed someone. Within 114 days, we are "where we are now" with 2.6 million confirmed cases worldwide.

So, here is my question. Imagine you are a new virus with relatively similar symptoms as dozens of other diseases. You are allowed to infect 100 people in any one area of the world. You do. How long do you think you would spread before being discovered as something new? That is sincerely something I do not know the answer to, but I suspect it could be a while. How many times have I or you went to the doctor to be tested for "the flu" and it came back negative? Instead, we're told "it is some virus going around, I've seen cases like this all month, you'll be better in a week and call if you aren't". To my knowledge, it isn't exactly common for each and every virus to be investigated. Rather, trends are noticed and at some point perhaps looked into.

What I'm saying is that, sincerely, I'm impressed if any country in the world discovers a "new virus" within a month of "hitting the wild". Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. I don't really know. I don't pretend to understand the science of epidemiology. My personally, and this is 100% a guess, I'm thinking 2-4 months being my guess for how long something such as a new virus is noticed and discovered.

I do find it odd that the Doctor that "discovered" the disease was an ophthalmologist, but I'll just go with that one. 

But what if it circulated in the wild for two, three, maybe four months before being discovered as "something new". Going off the official narrative, 114 days is enough time "until now", but what if it had a head-start of 90-120 days? What if it has already made a really, really good "round", spreading across the entire globe (with absolutely no restrictions in travel, social distancing, stay at home, etc) already with unconfirmed cases 10x, 100x, or even 1000x the confirmed cases we have now.

We have been seeing cases rise seemingly exponentially, but couldn't that be directly correlated to tests becoming available at an exponential rate? A few groups have performed antibody testing on different populations, read that article here. If that article is true, 50x (their low-end estimate) the official number (currently at 842,624 in the United States) is 42,131,200. That's about 12% of the United States population. If you have a worldwide population of X, infected population of Y, and then start exponentially testing (starting at "0") at rate X, imagine what the graph for Y (infected population) will look like as you roll out testing?

I'm not saying it isn't bad. It is. People are dying. But people die everyday. What I would be extremely interested in seeing would be an average number of daily deaths worldwide from any cause for 2018 and 2019 and then compare that to the average number of daily deaths worldwide from any cause during this pandemic. In other words, has this pandemic caused deaths as a function of being alive to increase? Or is it simply moving deaths as a function of being alive from one column to another?

Can anyone offer more insight into any of this regarding methodologies, epidemiology, etc? Even though I'm very worried about the longterm ramifications of all of this, I find it very intriguing to experience something that up until now I believe all of us have only read about in history books.

As I’m looking at the KY/TN stats, I’m wondering Why is anyone writing this story, are these two governors going to run against each other for something? Then I see the headline. Good grief.

If the numbers were transposed into this thread correctly, forgive me for being cold, but Tennesseans that contracted the virus are twice as tough as Kentuckians.

29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

As I’m looking at the KY/TN stats, I’m wondering Why is anyone writing this story, are these two governors going to run against each other for something? Then I see the headline. Good grief.

If the numbers were transposed into this thread correctly, forgive me for being cold, but Tennesseans that contracted the virus are twice as tough as Kentuckians.

Yeah, I don't think that the virus discriminates between the states.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You make one little mistake and that's what's remembered... 🤣😂🤣

19 minutes ago, Moped said:

You make one little mistake and that's what's remembered... 🤣😂🤣

Did you post something wrong?

I was just looking at your “confirmed” vs. “deaths” numbers. If I’m doing the math right, 5.5% of those that had the virus in KY died. While in TN 2.1% of those confirmed died.

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with those numbers that show the death rate is twice in KY it is in TN, but I’m pretty sure they don’t have anything to do with politics or Governors. 

13 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Did you post something wrong?

I was just looking at your “confirmed” vs. “deaths” numbers. If I’m doing the math right, 5.5% of those that had the virus in KY died. While in TN 2.1% of those confirmed died.

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with those numbers that show the death rate is twice in KY it is in TN, but I’m pretty sure they don’t have anything to do with politics or Governors. 

I dropped a number out of  Kentucky's Tested catagory.  Erik, caught in and I fixed it.  It was a tranpsoing error.  LOL!

As for you observation, I'd agree with that.  

The reason I posted this was because back in March, Beshears critized Tennessee's COVID-19 response and instructed his fellow Kentuckians to avoid crossing the border into Tennessee and getting sick, then bringing it back to Kentucky. Karma's a bitch sometimes.  Unfortunately, it's been visited on the citizens of his state, instead of him.

• Like 1

We've now had more people die in around 25 days than the Flu killed in 6-7 months. And that was an especially bad flu year. There really is no comparison and I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up.  We can debate how the government should react but comparing this to the flu doesn't make any sense. 

Experts have told us for years this was going to happen and our government failed and pretty much every level. Then the CDC failed with the testing.  When they do their pandemic simulations they never predicted a scenario where we would botch the testing. That was so basic it wasn't considered to be a potential point of failure. The blame goes back 3-4 administrations I would assume. 

My biggest take away from this entire thing is that if we ever have a highly contagious virus that kills more, say 20%,  it would be catastrophic. Life as we know it could change for decades. Even the Fed can only do so much to prop up the economy. Our government can't even provide enough masks for our medical professionals. 

For the people saying the government went to far, I can definitely see your point. My question would be, how bad would the virus have to be before you approve mandatory lock downs? What should they do in that scenario? I ask because I really don't know. I hope that our leaders think about these scenarios after this, so that we can be better prepared than we were this time. I have my doubts though. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2

Absolutely it makes sense to compare the flu.

61,000 people died and the economy wasn’t shut down and businesses told they have to lock their doors.

61,000 people died and it wasn’t carried 24 hours a day 7 days a week on all news stations like this virus, or impeachment, or the Russia non-sense, etc.

Our government wasn’t prepared for this virus. Those who want to finger point and blame Trump; that’s ridiculous and helps nothing. We still aren’t prepared; we could be in grave danger. With everyone making all the noise about having the PPE stockpiles for medical workers and first responders in good shape, they are not addressing the food chain workers.

Food workers in Tennessee don't have the PPE they should have do to this virus. 

Their fellow workers are getting sick, and while the business will tell them how many there are, they won’t tell them who they are because they say it violates HIPAA. What a bunch of crap. They can’t know if it was someone they were around because it violates the law? That’s crazy; change the law.

Tyson shut down its largest pork plant. Stories say “experts” claim Americans don’t need to worry about the food supply chain. Yet more and more food workers are getting sick because they don’t have the same PPE the medicals workers have; and they need it. Why isn’t it being talked about? Because they can’t fix it right now.

8 big cats at a zoo, and now 2 house cats, have tested positive for the virus while we are being told it can’t be transmitted from animal to human. If a cat can have it, can a cow have it? Can our meat supply be tainted.

Its hard to get the tough questions answered in the daily briefings because that room is mostly filled with azzhats that want a “gotcha” moment with Trump or want to ask the same dumbazz questions they asked the day before.

I’d like to see that room emptied and a town hall type briefing with citizens able to text in questions. I’d also like to see Trump quit wasting time by repeating day after day after day his stories about ships, and convention centers, and ventilators, and other stuff that he thinks his administration has done a great job on.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Here comes the next round of panic buying :whistle:

'Food supply chain is breaking,' Tyson Foods chairman says as processing plants continue to close

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/food-supply-chain-breaking-tyson-foods-chairman-claims-plant-coronavirus-closures

Maybe some exaggeration or worst case scenarios being discussed, but is it truly panic when we run a tight supply chain like we do?  These companies have their operations tweaked for efficiency and profitability...and I don't think it'll take much to throw a wrench into the gears.  No company is ready for anything other than a small fraction of their workforce to be out of action, and only then for a few days at a time, not weeks.

Edited by btq96r
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

Maybe some exaggeration or worst case scenarios being discussed, but is it truly panic when we run a tight supply chain like we do?  These companies have their operations tweaked for efficiency and profitability...and I don't think it'll take much to throw a wrench into the gears.  No company is ready for anything other than a small fraction of their workforce to be out of action, and only then for a few days at a time, not weeks.

From my perspective, there’s not much, if any, exaggeration there. I haul a reefer trailer and these meat plants in the Midwest are some of our biggest customers. We refer to the area from Denver to Chicago and down to Kansas City as the meat patch. Normally this is an area my friends and I love to be in for loading. Over the last 6 weeks it has died. There’s no freight there.

To give an example of that supply chain interruption, IPB is a Tyson company. I will normally bring in large loads of beef from Iowa and Kansas to the IBP plant in Goodlettesville where it is finished and packaged for store DCs all through TN and surrounding states. Those loads aren’t happening like they used to. I don’t know how it’s affecting supplies in the area yet, but there’s no doubt in my mind that it’s going to at some point soon.

I’d suggest looking to the way your grand, or even great-grandparents did things. (Assuming they didn’t raise their own here.) Find yourself an actual butcher who locally sources his supply and become a customer and make friends. It won’t be Walmart prices, but it’ll fresher and cleaner meat that you might be able to get when the that same Walmart has empty shelves. 

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, btq96r said:

It isn’t a case of being “tweaked for efficiency and profitability”, although that is the goal of every business in the world. Food has a shelf life. In many cases a very short shelf life. Fresh is the name of the game.

They had the same problem medical and first responders had; they didn’t have good PPE.

I guess you could blame them for not having millions of dollars of inventory of PPE, that also has a shelf life. But none of that will matter if people can’t eat.

No worries though, just like with first responders, there will be plenty of finger pointing, blame, and armchair quarterbacking about what they should have done, to go around.

58 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’d suggest looking to the way your grand, or even great-grandparents did things. (Assuming they didn’t raise their own here.) Find yourself an actual butcher who locally sources his supply and become a customer and make friends. It won’t be Walmart prices, but it’ll fresher and cleaner meat that you might be able to get when the that same Walmart has empty shelves. 

Nashville Farmers Market (currently doing drive thru services) has some great vendors that sell some high quality meat.  Bit higher in price as you mention, and I can see them having a limited supply, but they're great to do business with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, DaveTN said:

Its hard to get the tough questions answered in the daily briefings because that room is mostly filled with azzhats that want a “gotcha” moment with Trump or want to ask the same dumbazz questions they asked the day before.

I’d like to see that room emptied and a town hall type briefing with citizens able to text in questions. I’d also like to see Trump quit wasting time by repeating day after day after day his stories about ships, and convention centers, and ventilators, and other stuff that he thinks his administration has done a great job on.

TRUMP: DAILY BRIEFINGS NOT WORTH TIME AND EFFORT, MEDIA ASKS HOSTILE QUESTIONS, REFUSES TO REPORT FACTS.

So, it appears Trump has stopped the daily briefings. No big surprise there.  They turned into the daily liar’s contest. I saw the briefing where the drama about Bleach and UV light came into play. Trump lied about the comments and so did the media.

Trump said his comments were sarcastic and directed at the media. That was a lie. His comments were directed at Bill Bryan, not the media, and were comical. He was musing about UV light or disinfectant being used inside the body. He knows that and is probably why he stopped the briefings.

The media also lied. Trump did not tell, or imply, for anyone to drink bleach or Lysol. That was a lie. Then they wrote that “hotlines” in NJ and NY had hundreds of calls from people wanting to know if they should drink bleach. I doubt that. Are hundreds of people that ignorant? Maybe, but more than likely, if that truly happened, it was the media making those calls.

However, this is Trumps fault for not taking control of that room. Someone capable of being the leader of this country should not let those idiots run that room. When they ask ignorant questions or where they are obviously looking for a “gotcha” moment; ignore them and move to someone else, they will get the message. If they do not; kick them out. It won’t make the left hate him anymore than they already do; I don’t think that’s possible. But in the meantime, those of us that want information have to listen to a briefing for an hour and a half that could be done in 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

TRUMP: DAILY BRIEFINGS NOT WORTH TIME AND EFFORT, MEDIA ASKS HOSTILE QUESTIONS, REFUSES TO REPORT FACTS.

So, it appears Trump has stopped the daily briefings. No big surprise there.  

Yet he’s holding one right now.  He’s not going to give up the free publicity in an election year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Yet he’s holding one right now.  He’s not going to give up the free publicity in an election year.

Hes not going to miss airtime anytime I dont think. I think hes trying to break black jesus's record 😂