SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I realize taxes can't remain the same forever but 32% seems like a giant leap. I'd like to know what that comes out to for a home around $200,000. 

Here in Knox County Mayor Jacobs elected to furlough county employees over a tax increase. I was reading that the county hasn't had a property tax increase in 20 years.

Why can’t taxes remain the same forever?

10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Simple: prices go up.

I don't mind paying a reasonable tax for services such as police, fire, and roads. I have problems when the taxes are wasted or directed to those who do not try to be a productive member of society. It chaps my ass to pay tens of thousands of dollars in federal income tax just to have Uncle Sam give it to someone else who doesn't pay taxes. Earned Income Credit is complete Bull 💩 to me.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You build roads right? Does it cost the same to build a road now as it did 20 years ago?  Should county employees never get a raise? Someone has to pay for this. Even doing the bare minimum, keeping up with the infrastructure is going to cost more every year. 

8 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

When a person steals a little, they never stop there. They keep stealing more and more. It’s a compulsion. 

I don't see minor increases over time as that awful. 32% is not a minor increase. I imagine this is one of those games where he throws out a ridiculously high number that pisses everyone off just so that the actual number doesn't seem as terrible. They will settle on something lower and people will assume they got a win.

I don't understand how he could think that's a reasonable number. I found these stats from a 2014 article.

"The mayor's budget, if approved as is by the City Council, raises Knoxville's property tax rate by 34 cent to $2.7257 per every $100 of assessed value. That equates to an $85 a year increase in city property taxes for a residential home with an assessed value of $100,000; $127.50 increase for a $150,000 home and $1,363.85 for a $200,000 home. City taxes were last raised in 2004 under former Mayor Bill Haslam who increased them 35 cents per $100 of assessed value. Every penny raises about $430,000 in revenue. The new tax rate is expected to bring in about $14.5 million."

It seems like even a tiny increase would bring in a ton of revenue for them and not hurt people who are already hurting. I wonder if their budget was poorly managed before this. 

Edited by Erik88
4 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Simple: prices go up.

I don't mind paying a reasonable tax for services such as police, fire, and roads. I have problems when the taxes are wasted or directed to those who do not try to be a productive member of society. It chaps my ass to pay tens of thousands of dollars in federal income tax just to have Uncle Sam give it to someone else who doesn't pay taxes. Earned Income Credit is complete Bull 💩 to me.

[RANT ON:]

What!?!? You mean to tell me you don’t think those that won’t work should have the same lifestyle as those who do??

I bet you think trophies for winners are okay to, don’t you? :panic:

[RANT OFF:]

2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

It seems like even a tiny increase would bring in a ton of revenue for them and not hurt people who are already hurting. I wonder if their budget was poorly managed before this. 

It was very much so poorly managed. They just had a big hubbub over their budget defying the law and not balancing. That's why the new mayor was elected. He's a liberal, but he believes in a balanced budget.

3 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You build roads right? Does it cost the same to build a road now as it did 20 years ago?  Should county employees never get a raise? Someone has to pay for this. Even doing the bare minimum, keeping up with the infrastructure is going to cost more every year. 

I don't see minor increases over time as that awful. 32% is not a minor increase. I imagine this is one of those games where he throws out a ridiculously high number that pisses everyone off just so that the actual number doesn't seem as terrible. They will settle on something lower and people will assume they got a win.

I don't understand how he could think that's a reasonable number. I found these stats from a 2014 article.

"The mayor's budget, if approved as is by the City Council, raises Knoxville's property tax rate by 34 cent to $2.7257 per every $100 of assessed value. That equates to an $85 a year increase in city property taxes for a residential home with an assessed value of $100,000; $127.50 increase for a $150,000 home and $1,363.85 for a $200,000 home. City taxes were last raised in 2004 under former Mayor Bill Haslam who increased them 35 cents per $100 of assessed value. Every penny raises about $430,000 in revenue. The new tax rate is expected to bring in about $14.5 million."

Tax revenue also increases every year. If you keep raising tax rates, you eventually get to 100%. What then?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

[RANT ON:]

What!?!? You mean to tell me you don’t think those that won’t work should have the same lifestyle as those who do??

I bet you think trophies for winners are okay to, don’t you? :panic:

[RANT OFF:]

I resemble that remark! :whistle:

4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Tax revenue also increases every year. If you keep raising tax rates, you eventually get to 100%. What then?

Exactly.  Property values increasing and more property being developed = increased tax revenue without a rate increase.  

Ya’ll keep those rate increases and mad growth and liberals moving in and conservatives moving in and traffic jams and hour commutes and higher appraisals and higher cost of living in Nashville.  I guess living in Shelby County does have a couple perks. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

DING, DING, DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

7 hours ago, Erik88 said:

A co-worker and I were talking about that negotiating tactic today.    I'm thinking that's the case.

10 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Nashville can pare down a bunch on fiscal spending. 

Yep.   I may have missed it but I haven't seen any real attempt to cut the fat out of each department BEFORE asking for more tax revenue.   Anybody that says there's no fat to cut is in a sad state of denial. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Well, let me ask it this way...How much is enough? Nearly half of my household income goes to one tax or another.

Tp put it another way, if slavery is equivalent to a tax rate of 100%, at what percentage is it not?

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Well, let me ask it this way...How much is enough? Nearly half of my household income goes to one tax or another.

In America, that's up to society to decide. I pay more in taxes than a lot of people even make in a year. Is it too much? For what I get it certainly is. That's why I don't vote for stupid 💩 or dumb 💩 s. But I have no issues with paying taxes for things that make sense.

31 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Tp put it another way, if slavery is equivalent to a tax rate of 100%, at what percentage is it not?

I notice that the people saying taxes are theft don't say that when they are driving down a public street, or when the fire department is trying to save someone they love.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I notice that the people saying taxes are theft don't say that when they are driving down a public street, or when the fire department is trying to save someone they love.

lViXHE4.jpg

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

lViXHE4.jpg

If you think reasonable taxes are theft then why don't you move to a country that doesn't have taxes? Of course, those are mostly Arab countries or places where the tax is replaced with a large fee or "investments" to become a citizen.